Nearly over

nightrider

omidknight - 2008-12-26 11:08 AM

Rotivators?

Maybe a powerflushing machine for central heating radiators?

Candy floss maker?

Ice cream maker?

Rotavators, cultivators, walk behind and sit on grasscutters, chainsaws, strimmers etc a total of 35 machines, not counting my Fergie grey tractor which has been fully restored and is for display only (she is now retired)

PS power flushing your radiators is a con trick.

Rotavators, cultivators, walk behind and sit on grasscutters, chainsaws, strimmers etc a total of 35 machines, not counting my Fergie grey tractor which has been fully restored and is for display only (she is now retired)

35 Crikey

Powerflushing - I agree and would not have it done rom what I have read and BG charge a fortune. Better to fit a sealed expansion vessel to prevent air entry is my view.

omidknight - 2008-12-26 3:03 PM

35 Crikey

Powerflushing - I agree and would not have it done rom what I have read and BG charge a fortune. Better to fit a sealed expansion vessel to prevent air entry is my view.

omidknight,

By trade I am a plumber and heating engineer, some 15 years ago I had a career change and went into the garden maintenance business and built up a flourishing business, although now semi retired the business is run by my son and two grandsons, I potter about buying and selling machines from the auctions.

I wouldn't give you tuppence for any of these new fangled combi or condensing heating boilers, they are too prone to breaking down at the cost of an arm and a leg, I have a conventional wall hung boiler in the utility room, a Gloworm ultimate.

A cast iron heat exchanger that will take years of use the only thing that can go wrong with it is either a thermocouple or a boiler stat easily obtained and fitted by the average handyman, a conventional pre-lagged indirect cylindar with an electric emersion heater as a back up.

Three of my neighbours had combi boilers fitted much to their regret, they keep breaking down, they have asked me to repair or replace them but I can't touch them because my CORGI ticket is now well out of date.

I also have a woodburning stove with a boiler option linked up to my gas heating installation in the event the Russians pull the plug on the gas pipelines (clever boy) got access to tons of logs.

Ps, my number one hedge cutter is eight foot long and my telescopic chainsaw extends to fifteen foot from the ground.

Wow Malc! Can I come round and play with all your lovely tools!!!! Seriously, I just love tools!!!! :D

I could do with a few more but as we are hoping to move I daren't add to my collection in case I've no-where to put them! I might, just might, give in and treat myself to a nice new pair of secateus ... especially as they're small enough to 'hide' from my hubby! :->

When we replaced our boiler a few years ago, we got a floor standing one (straight replacement for what we already had so made things a lot easier). It was advertised in the paper - a plumber had bought it for himself but then his wife decided she wanted a shower cubicle making out of the cupboard housing his old boiler, so he had to get a wall-hung one to put somewhere else instead, so we got a 6 month old (never used) boiler installed for £500!!! It works a treat and we are so glad we didn't go the whole hog and get a combi instead as we know from my Mum's experience how 'temperamental' they can be as she was always having to have the Council out to hers. Plus it would've made a heck of a mess and we'd have spent 3 times what we did as it would've had to be moved to another part of the bungalow, meaning all the pipes, gas etc would also have had to be changed.

Mel,

You can pay a pretty penny for branded makes of secetuers such a Wilkinson sword, not worth it.

I buy mine from Aldi or Lidel for £1.99 a pair which are very good value, I buy half a dozen pairs at once, just whip over them now and again with a diamond sharpener to keep their edge.

Every month I go up to Burnley auctions to see whats going, whatever I buy I make a living at, for example last month I bought ten FS 400 strimmers these are professional tools that retail at £740 each, I got them at £90 each, checked them over, cleaned them up and sold them on to local gardeners at £250 each, here is a tip, if you want to make a second hand machine look brand new, brush them down with undiluted bleach, wash off and spray with WD 40 especially good on plastic componants.

Mel B - 2008-12-26 6:17 PM

Wow Malc! Can I come round and play with all your lovely tools!!!! Seriously, I just love tools!!!! :D

Yeah! so I've heard Mel. :D

malc

prey tell why its no good and a con to have the central heating system flushed ...I was just about to do this does it not clean out the system and get rid of all the crap that flows back threw the boiler all that black gunk ???? tell why please.

We have the Woscester Bosch direct .

Michele, I suspect it is because all the 'gunk' stays at the bottom of the radiators and unless you remove the valves at each end and flush each one, you'll never get rid of the gunk anyway, plus if you have had a inhibiter in your system (which you should) it should stop the gunk building up anyway.

michele - 2008-12-27 6:55 PM

ma

prey tell why its no good and a con to have the central heating system flushed ...I was just about to do this does it not clean out the system and get rid of all the crap that flows back threw the boiler all that black gunk ???? tell why please.

We have the Woscester Bosch direct .

Michelle,

No matter what type of heating system you have, conventional, combi or a condensing boiler you will always have the electrolitic reaction between the various metalic componants of your boiler and heating system, brass, copper, iron and light iron (radiators) the chemical reaction produces not air as a lot of people think but hydrogen, if a system is "locking" up Ie; if a radiator is hot at the bottom but cold at the top, open the air tap slowly and place a lit match to it and you will see it "flare" telling you that it is a gas and not air (keep curtains away)

Sealed systems such as a combi have a bypass filler tube from the mains water supply which is usually located under the boiler, shut the system down, close off all rads except one, fit a hose to your drainoff valve, open the bypass valve and then the drainoff valve, then check the colour of the water draining out, when it is nice and clean shut that rad off and proceed to the next one etc etc, flush the boiler last.

For combi systems you can buy from B&Q a device that is fitted to your filler/bypass valve that enables you to add an inhibiter to the water which keeps the system nice and clean, very much similar to adding anti-freeze to a car, the black sludge is actually the dead micro organisms that is in fresh water.

When you have refilled a system, let it lie for an hour or two to let the air bubbles rise to the top of the rad, bleed all your rads again and check that your pressure gauge is well up, check the gauge at least once a month.

The same rules apply to a conventional system, drain down while at the same time let the feed and expansion tank keep filling in order to flush the gunge out, when satisfied that the system is clean, close the feed and expansion tank feed pipe off, pour your inhibiter into the tank which will perculate into the system and then in order to refill the system and avoid as much air entering through fresh oxygenated water and finding its way into "air traps" you're better off reverse filling under pressure that is to say, close all air taps and use the drainoff valve and hosepipe which is fitted to perhaps an outside water tap, the system will refill from the bottom upwards forcing out trapped air bubbles, the rising water will come into your feed and expansion tank then through the overflow pipe telling you the system is full, vent the system and adjust the level of water in the F&E tank by draining a little water from the drain off valve, do this once a year and your system will run sweet.

Ps always keep a spare radiator vent key to hand and only "crack" the vent plug or you might end up losing it.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/general-consumer-issues/2904-british-gas-power-flush-2.html

Michele - re powerflushing

lots of arguements in the trade about powerflushing in other forums

Hey Malcolm, I`ve been using a killaspray pump up bottle for 25 years to fill solar heating systems and my former 15 radiator system heated by oil fired utility room (garage) boiler. It`s then easy to get the exact % of inhibitor or antifreeze.

Michele - make sure you use plenty of plastic, drip trays and rag when flushing.

knight of the road - 2008-12-27 8:30 PM

There are loads of con tricks in various trades and professions, anyone had any problems with ground rent issues?

This would possibly be better asked on the Static caravan bit as they are more likely to have experienced this.

Archived