New Royal Yacht

John52

At first I thought it was an April Fools Joke

But BoJo really is planing to borrow £200 million (plus overspends and running costs) for a new Royal Yacht

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/30/boris-johnson-plans-to-sink-200m-into-new-ship-of-state

As before, its being presented as boosting trade and jobs rather than a toy for himself and royalty, with its running costs hidden amongst military spending >:-)

Meanwhile the people they are supposed to serve will never set foot on it, and are waiting over 3 years for NHS dental treatment

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I quite liked the old one. Been on it. Couldnt they have just fitted a new engine or something?

I fear it will take more than a posh boat to boost our status on the world stage. Nobody likes us or Johnson and his batty Brexit government.

GarySueLola - 2021-05-30 8:05 AM

It just shows how effing desperate we are following our stupid departure from the EU to try and get some trade. Follows on from the rubbish trade deal negotiations with Australia. We are in deep poop.

I can't imagine any trade deals being done on there that would benefit us. The trade deals we need are done in Brussels.

Its the same old excuse they used to justify taxpayer's expense of Air Miles Andy's foreign junkets with his paedophile friends.

Since we have no written constitution the only one who can rein in BoJo is the Queen.

And he has bought her with a new boat :-S

malc d - 2021-05-30 2:25 PM

It's not a " Royal Yacht " apparently.

It's a " National Flagship ".

I imagine that at least half the nation will fall for that one !

;-)

Yes it smacks of Johnsons delusions of grandeur and I get the impression it's more about satisfying his megalomania. He pompously announced, “This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation."

Oh brother.....cue compulsory flags at tv political interviews and a new national anthem, Boris Britannia *-)

The Queen has already rebuffed Johnson who wanted the tub named after Prince Philip. She said it's not something they want or have asked for.

It's prime use is for Johnson and his cronies to sail around the world on "trade missions" and the Royals will only be able to use it when it's not being used by Johnson and his mates.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-spend-200m-national-24214443

Well we've got a couple of ' special ' airplanes for trade missions, and now we will have a ' special ' boat for trade missions.

What we are short of is a ' special ' train for trade missions - that would complete the set and REALLY impress the rest of the world.

:-D

malc d - 2021-05-30 5:15 PM

Well we've got a couple of ' special ' airplanes for trade missions, and now we will have a ' special ' boat for trade missions.

What we are short of is a ' special ' train for trade missions - that would complete the set and REALLY impress the rest of the world.

:-D

He's excelled at conning the gullible so I wouldn't put that past him along with squandering a few million to cover it with Union flags. :-|

I see it's reported that the Royal Family don't intend to use it for holidays, and do not approve of it being named after the Duke of Edinburgh.

So full marks to the Royal Family !

The only ' upside ' that I can see in this project is the employment prospects IF the ship is built in Britain.

:-|

malc d - 2021-05-31 10:13 AM

I see it's reported that the Royal Family don't intend to use it for holidays, and do not approve of it being named after the Duke of Edinburgh.

So full marks to the Royal Family !

The only ' upside ' that I can see in this project is the employment prospects IF the ship is built in Britain.

Yes, good for them. I know the Royals are supposed to be impartial but there is no way on earth that our Queen could possibly approve of Johnson as PM. I feel sorry for her having to meet with the liar and charlatan every week. This appears to be their way of snubbing Johnson. She has done it before. Remember the EU flag hat? (lol)

36030918_queenhat.thumb.jpg.a9b1f00152736fa953b80d9ef690fd80.jpg

malc d - 2021-05-30 2:25 PM

It's not a " Royal Yacht " apparently.

It's a " National Flagship ".

I imagine that at least half the nation will fall for that one ! ;-)

To boost trade? But how? It will inevitably have to moor in a port. Ports are often not in the poshest part of town (with exceptions mainly around the Med), so if chasing third world trade deals, hardly the best potential venues.

I assume it will be expected to impress by its quality and size (be a bit of a let down when some oligarch or middle eastern potentate drops in with a (much!) larger one!). See here: https://tinyurl.com/25shpb3s

But then, we have embassies around the world that would provide better venues in many cases. Not so many seats of government are coastal, and I assume the intention is to talk at inter-governmental and senior commercial/industrial levels.

Would the UK contingent travel on board (implying substantial absences), or fly to meet it, in which case what is the advantage?

How would it promote British trade/products? It would need substantial exhibition/meeting space, which seems to imply more of a floating exhibition hall.

£M200 won't touch the cost, some of those private megayachts are estimated to have cost three times that. (Remember Crocodile Dundee and the exchange when a hood produced a knife and Dundee said what's that? Hood said "a knife". Dundee produces huge blade from back of trousers and says "No mate, this s a knife". Hood runs off.)

Finally it will have a short shelf life - because once everyone around the coastal world has seen it, it will have lost its impact and USP until it gets re-fitted.

Seems to me, pending some tangible detail (why do they endlessly announce these things before they've thought them through?) it is little more than a nostalgic, headline-grabbing, vanity project gimmick.

Bit like the tunnel under the Irish sea then with the roundabout under the Isle of Man that Johnson decided was a good idea. A bonkers distraction. I also thought £200m for a ship like this was way too low a figure.

I wonder if there is a department dedicated to this kind of stuff. "Lets see what the plebs will fall for today" to distract from the endless failure.

Barryd999 - 2021-05-31 11:25 AM.........................I wonder if there is a department dedicated to this kind of stuff. "Lets see what the plebs will fall for today" to distract from the endless failure.

I think it's called the cabinet! :-D Just imagine the response! "God, whatever have they thought up now? How do we handle this? Yes minister? :-D

Barryd999 - 2021-05-31 11:25 AM

I also thought £200m for a ship like this was way too low a figure.

I have no doubt, like everything else to do with Royalty etc, it would cost the taxpayer far more than we are told.

malc d - 2021-05-31 10:13 AM

Though we have some shipbuilding facilities in UK they're very limited and as can easily be seen by the wiki link Brian posted, the countries where most shipbuilding is done.

Bit like the tunnel under the Irish sea then with the roundabout under the Isle of Man that Johnson decided was a good idea. A bonkers distraction. I also thought £200m for a ship like this was way too low a figure.

I wonder if there is a department dedicated to this kind of stuff. "Lets see what the plebs will fall for today" to distract from the endless failure.

There's one here for much less....a snip at a mere $60 million;

But the cost of buying a luxury yacht like this is only half the story because it has to crewed and maintained, and that costs serious money. Johnson is just using the royalty bit as a smokescreen, he's up to his usual tricks of conning the gullible to satisfy his selfish indulgence. He needs reigning in.

The usual 'in the know' suspects doing what they do best ... Might be good to wait and see whats happening with the yacht before bitching away ... If you want to discuss waste of public money what about sumat you know was a waste like Labours Millennium Dome

John52 - 2021-05-31 12:04 PM

I have no doubt, like everything else to do with Royalty etc, it would cost the taxpayer far more than we are told.

But it doesnt sound like its a Royal Yacht anyway. Its just another Johnson bonkers idea. The Royals dont seem that interested.

Birdbrain - 2021-05-31 4:47 PM

The usual 'in the know' suspects doing what they do best ... Might be good to wait and see whats happening with the yacht before bitching away ... If you want to discuss waste of public money what about sumat you know was a waste like Labours Millennium Dome

Any more news from the last century? Anyway, dont knock it, They do gigs in it now. Might hire it for this years Chatterbollox Christmas party and do a gig!

Barryd999 - 2021-05-31 6:03 PM

John52 - 2021-05-31 12:04 PM

But it doesnt sound like its a Royal Yacht anyway. Its just another Johnson bonkers idea. The Royals dont seem that interested.

It's a "national flagship" according to the Dear Leader who announced, “This new national flagship will be the first vessel of its kind in the world, reflecting the UK’s burgeoning status as a great, independent maritime trading nation."

Hard to decide which gets the most laughs, the "national flagship" or him describing UK having a "burgeoning status of a great, independent maritime trading nation."

He's living in the past. *-)

Birdbrain - 2021-05-31 4:47 PM........................ If you want to discuss waste of public money what about sumat you know was a waste like Labours Millennium Dome

Why was it a waste of money? It is an asset, it is in constant use, and it is highly profitable. This is what it's present owner says of it : https://tinyurl.com/8u9wv9h4 Can't be all that bad, can it?

Brian Kirby - 2021-05-31 6:29 PM

Birdbrain - 2021-05-31 4:47 PM........................ If you want to discuss waste of public money what about sumat you know was a waste like Labours Millennium Dome

Why was it a waste of money? It is an asset, it is in constant use, and it is highly profitable. This is what it's present owner says of it : https://tinyurl.com/8u9wv9h4 Can't be all that bad, can it?

As far as I remember, the Millennium Dome was initially John Majors idea - further supported / promoted by Michael Heseltine.

I don't think that either of them was ever in the Labour party.

Archived