New Zealand

Bulletguy

New Zealand’s Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the country is ‘turning a corner’ in the battle against coronavirus after recording the lowest number of new cases in three weeks.

The country has recorded 992 confirmed cases of Covid-19 with just one death so far. Health officials said there were 29 new cases on Thursday, the fourth successive daily drop since 89 were recorded on Sunday and the latest sign of a flattening of the curve.

Ms Ardern suggested the four-week lockdown could be softened in just over a weeks’ time, allowing some to return to work if social distancing rules can be maintained.

The PM said New Zealanders’ strict adherence to the rules during the four-week lockdown had ‘saved lives’.

https://tinyurl.com/rzm726c

Meanwhile UK records yet another highest ever mortality count after 953 died taking its toll to 'at least' 8,931. :-(

https://tinyurl.com/vobcqrr

soarer - 2020-04-10 9:09 PM

New Zealand is roughly the same size as the uk

With a population less than London don’t take a lot of working out does it

More to it than just that. NZ implemented social distancing almost immediately then only days later went into full on lockdown closing down all pubs, clubs, restaurants etc whilst UK continued to party.

Also they quarantined returning citizens at the borders for testing.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/04/07/hit-it-hard-hit-it-early-new-zealands-response-to-covid-19-puts-the-uk-government-to-shame/

There has been deaths in a couple of care homes but govt quickly on top of situation and daily briefings from director general of health has turned him into a cult figure. Unlike UK crew he seems to know what he's doing. Lockdown ends next week and expect to go down to level3 but as I'M over 70 I'll still be confined to the house till we hit level 1. Tourism makes up a lot of NZ economy so unemployment will be around for at least 2 years. Gonna be strange without the thousands of hire campers on the road. Only thing stopping me using the. van for day trips is the roadblocks. Not fair cos I get my diesel at an unmanned garage and park up for a brew in the middle of nowhere and have no contact with anyone apart from my better half. I do miss the UK but not right at this moment so good luck and stay safe.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-04-15 9:20 AM

soarer - 2020-04-10 9:09 PM

New Zealand is roughly the same size as the uk

With a population less than London don’t take a lot of working out does it

We have plenty of empty space outside London.

Yeah ;-) ...........Between the ears of the ranting left (lol) ...........

John52 - 2020-04-15 9:18 AM

NZ politicians have decided to take a pay cut, in sympathy with others who have had their earnings reduced by the restrictions.

Have our politicians done the same *-)

Maybe union bosses and those at the top end of the union squads could do the same n'all ... Some of em earn way more than our MPs ... Regards

Archived