Nissan UK abandon X-Trail build

Bulletguy

Nissan UK just announced abandoning the planned build of their new X-Trail model at the Sunderland plant. It's currently built exclusively in Japan....which of course has recently signed trade deals with the EU. Though they say it's not expected to have a major impact on jobs they only have one recent model in production (the other three have been going some time) so the X--Trail was important.

I wonder how many of the 61% Leave voters in Sunderland were car workers? :-|

https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-02 7:55 PM

Nissan UK just announced abandoning the planned build of their new X-Trail model at the Sunderland plant. It's currently built exclusively in Japan....which of course has recently signed trade deals with the EU. Though they say it's not expected to have a major impact on jobs they only have one recent model in production (the other three have been going some time) so the X--Trail was important.

https://news.sky.com/story/nissan-casts-further-gloom-on-car-industry-with-x-trail-blow-11625885

I guess the global downturn in car sales has nothing to do with it? *-) .........

Maybe if we charged tariffs on car imports they might change their mind ;-) .........

It's worked before >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-02 8:00 PM

I guess the global downturn in car sales has nothing to do with it? *-) .........

Maybe if we charged tariffs on car imports they might change their mind ;-) .........

What an 'achievement'......making the less well off even more less well off. *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-02 8:08 PM

What an 'achievement'......making the less well off even more less well off. *-)

What a load of Bulletsh*t blaming a global downturn on Brexit *-) ......

pelmetman - 2019-02-02 8:13 PM

"Global downturn"......impressive. Is this your new buzzword now as i've seen you use it a few times lately?!! (lol)

You might like to check out the finance market on the Yen which is strengthening as a result. Remind me again, where is the Nissan X-Trail currently built exclusively?

Yes, that's right, Japan.

Remind me again which country has recently signed trade agreements with the EU?

Yes, right again the second time.....Japan. Go on, be brave, you can say it and we won't laugh at you..... because these are exactly the same reasons that other fella you don't like to talk about with him being a 'faux Brexiter', shipped off to Singapore to build his new electric car.

The EU is a huge vast market and the sooner you wake up and acknowledge that the better. Little England is just a tiny little minnow that thinks it can swim solo in a big fish bowl of business. Ever likely the likes of Dyson are laughing at folk like you.

The reluctance to buy diesel engine vehicles was the reason for not making another facility for X-Trail production,

Dyson moved to Singapore as Singapore had a better trading deal with the world than the UK. the eu deal was also on the cards making it a win win for him.

Its all in business news

Paul- - 2019-02-03 7:37 AM

The reluctance to buy diesel engine vehicles was the reason for not making another facility for X-Trail production,

Dyson moved to Singapore as Singapore had a better trading deal with the world than the UK. the eu deal was also on the cards making it a win win for him.

Its all in business news

Yes but blaming Brexit is so much more Hollywood

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-02 10:16 PM

"Global downturn"......impressive. Is this your new buzzword now as i've seen you use it a few times lately?!! (lol)

You might like to check out the finance market on the Yen which is strengthening as a result. Remind me again, where is the Nissan X-Trail currently built exclusively?

Yes, right again the second time.....Japan. Go on, be brave, you can say it and we won't laugh at you..... because these are exactly the same reasons that other fella you don't like to talk about with him being a 'faux Brexiter', shipped off to Singapore to build his new electric car.

The EU is a huge vast market and the sooner you wake up and acknowledge that the better. Little England is just a tiny little minnow that thinks it can swim solo in a big fish bowl of business. Ever likely the likes of Dyson are laughing at folk like you.

So why has German car manufacturing Bombed? ;-) ..........

Is that due to Brexit? >:-) ..........

Paul- - 2019-02-03 7:37 AM

Its all in business news

Yes Paul it is "all in business news" hence i find it odd you're being a little disingenuous. Nissan had planned to open up productivity of the X-Trail at their Sunderland plant, they even announced that intention. But as it's already built in Japan which has trade deals with the EU, why begin building in a country about to lose access to those deals and market?

Dysons case was only slightly different. He already had a production facility in Singapore but when SN signed fta's with the EU, that sealed the deal for Dyson who announced just days after he'd build his electric car there. If Dyson has so much faith he claims Brexit will bring UK, then why isn't he opening production here? The answer is simple.....SN gives him access to the EU market which is what he wants and besides, he hasn't built a damn thing in UK for years. He's happily trousered millions in EU farming subsidies over the years which he will now lose, but i doubt he's too worried about that as the advantages of retaining access to the EU for his main business, outweighs the loss of his pocket money.

pelmetman - 2019-02-03 9:31 AM

Car workers at Cologne and Saarlouis where they're building the new 2019 Focus seem to be doing well. Have you told them their manufacturing has "bombed"? I think they'd find you quite amusing. Take a look at those plants (plenty of YT clips). They hardly resemble scenes of Detroit but when they do, your hyperbole may be a more fitting description! (lol)(lol)

antony1969 - 2019-02-03 5:29 PM

Much easier and Hollywood to blame Brexit though ... https://twitter.com/SocialM85897394/status/1092110428023545861

The X-Trail is also built with petrol engine and Sunderland Nissan builds four different spec engines. They no longer build any diesel engines at all there. Nothing 'Hollywood' about it at all....just inconvenient facts you don't like.

Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 6:36 PM

Much easier and Hollywood to blame Brexit though ... https://twitter.com/SocialM85897394/status/1092110428023545861

The X-Trail is also built with petrol engine and Sunderland Nissan builds four different spec engines. They no longer build any diesel engines at all there. Nothing 'Hollywood' about it at all....just inconvenient facts you don't like.

Princess they've said other models are unaffected ... Diesel has become a dirty word since 2016 ... Keep up with the screaming hysterics

antony1969 - 2019-02-03 7:17 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 6:36 PM

Princess they've said other models are unaffected ... Diesel has become a dirty word since 2016 ... Keep up with the screaming hysterics

The only 'screaming hysterics' i've been seeing has been coming from you stubborn Brexiters unwilling to accept clear facts.

in 2016 the car maker said it would build the new model of its X-Trail SUV in the UK after receiving "assurances" from the government over Brexit.

Now they are not as they already build it in Japan.....which has trade agreements with EU which Brexit UK wants to chuck down the pan. The diesel excuse won't cut it either as already pointed out, they do a petrol version of the X-Trail too.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 4:16 PM

Car workers at Cologne and Saarlouis where they're building the new 2019 Focus seem to be doing well. Have you told them their manufacturing has "bombed"? I think they'd find you quite amusing. Take a look at those plants (plenty of YT clips). They hardly resemble scenes of Detroit but when they do, your hyperbole may be a more fitting description! (lol)(lol)

Here you go Bullet, some pretty graphs ;-) ..........

https://www.vda.de/en/services/facts-and-figures.html

Still don't think they're car production has bombed? (lol) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-03 9:26 PM

No.....i think you're clutching at straws because you're desperate about Brexit. You really are the gift that keeps on giving! (lol)(lol)

From your own link....which naturally you hadn't read!!; *-)

2017 turnover: automotive industry defies adverse conditions and sets new turnover record

Overall, the automotive industry in Germany can look back on a successful 2017. It managed to increase its turnover to 422.8 billion euros, reaching a new record level in the process.

Facing difficult background conditions associated with diesel vehicles and Brexit, the automotive industry in Germany managed to maintain its good position and return a welcome result for 2017. The facilities earned 422.8 billion euros in the past calendar year and pushed their turnover up by more than 4 percent – a new record. Particularly strong growth was seen in export earnings (+6 percent). They reached a value of 271.7 billion euros. Growth in turnover with the euro zone was especially dynamic (+9 percent), boosted by the market trends in Europe. Turnover with domestic customers also increased (+2 percent) and reached 151.0 billion euros.

German cars remain popular on international markets

Makers of motor vehicles and engines increased their earnings by a strong 5 percent in 2017 to a total of 331.3 billion euros. In Germany they turned over 97.2 billion euros (+1 percent). Their export earnings amounted to 234.2 billion euros, which was a year-on-year rise of 6 percent. This indicates that passenger cars “Made in Germany” still enjoy huge popularity on international markets. Business outside the euro zone made up the largest proportion, with 164.5 billion euros and growth of 4 percent. And last year’s turnover in the euro zone demonstrated actually showed double-digit growth and reached 69.6 billion euros (+10 percent).

Level of employment

In 2017, the German automotive sector once again increased its regular workforce and thus made an important contribution to the excellent labor market situation and to prosperity in Germany. The annual average came to 820,200 employees in the plants of makers of motor vehicles and vehicle parts. That represented growth of a good 1 percent, or 11,700 jobs. Employment thus rose for the seventh year in succession and reached the highest level since 1991. The increase amounts to 118,600 new jobs compared with 2010. The maximum level during 2017 occurred in September, at 827,400 employees.

Last year, expansion was once again recorded in all three manufacturer groups. The largest manufacturer group as measured by the number of employees – that is, the makers of motor vehicles and engines (OEMs) – increased their workforce by 2 percent, or 8,600 employees, to 479,800. The suppliers had a combined regular workforce of 305,200 at their plants in Germany – a rise of 1 percent, or 2,500 employees. The makers of chassis, trailers and bodies totaled 35,200 employees, which was the highest level since 2004. This also meant that they exceeded their 2016 level by 2 percent, or 600 employees.

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 9:45 PM

No.....i think you're clutching at straws because you're desperate about Brexit. You really are the gift that keeps on giving! (lol)(lol)

2017 turnover: automotive industry defies adverse conditions and sets new turnover record

Overall, the automotive industry in Germany can look back on a successful 2017. It managed to increase its turnover to 422.8 billion euros, reaching a new record level in the process.

Facing difficult background conditions associated with diesel vehicles and Brexit, the automotive industry in Germany managed to maintain its good position and return a welcome result for 2017. The facilities earned 422.8 billion euros in the past calendar year and pushed their turnover up by more than 4 percent – a new record. Particularly strong growth was seen in export earnings (+6 percent). They reached a value of 271.7 billion euros. Growth in turnover with the euro zone was especially dynamic (+9 percent), boosted by the market trends in Europe. Turnover with domestic customers also increased (+2 percent) and reached 151.0 billion euros.

Makers of motor vehicles and engines increased their earnings by a strong 5 percent in 2017 to a total of 331.3 billion euros. In Germany they turned over 97.2 billion euros (+1 percent). Their export earnings amounted to 234.2 billion euros, which was a year-on-year rise of 6 percent. This indicates that passenger cars “Made in Germany” still enjoy huge popularity on international markets. Business outside the euro zone made up the largest proportion, with 164.5 billion euros and growth of 4 percent. And last year’s turnover in the euro zone demonstrated actually showed double-digit growth and reached 69.6 billion euros (+10 percent).

Level of employment

In 2017, the German automotive sector once again increased its regular workforce and thus made an important contribution to the excellent labor market situation and to prosperity in Germany. The annual average came to 820,200 employees in the plants of makers of motor vehicles and vehicle parts. That represented growth of a good 1 percent, or 11,700 jobs. Employment thus rose for the seventh year in succession and reached the highest level since 1991. The increase amounts to 118,600 new jobs compared with 2010. The maximum level during 2017 occurred in September, at 827,400 employees.

Last year, expansion was once again recorded in all three manufacturer groups. The largest manufacturer group as measured by the number of employees – that is, the makers of motor vehicles and engines (OEMs) – increased their workforce by 2 percent, or 8,600 employees, to 479,800. The suppliers had a combined regular workforce of 305,200 at their plants in Germany – a rise of 1 percent, or 2,500 employees. The makers of chassis, trailers and bodies totaled 35,200 employees, which was the highest level since 2004. This also meant that they exceeded their 2016 level by 2 percent, or 600 employees.

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

Oh dear......indeed (lol) (lol) (lol) .......

germany-car-production.png.79156b3180fdca2d4bfd8c0cbd74db46.png

pelmetman - 2019-02-03 10:12 PM

Level of employment

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

So now you're using another graph from another source......in an attempt to dismiss the facts in your first link! God you really are a seriously desperate little chap. *-)

Let me know when car production in your Little England is booming......i won't hold my breath on that though as there isn't that much left now anyway.......they're all leaving!! (lol)(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 10:28 PM

Level of employment

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

So now you're using another graph from another source......in an attempt to dismiss the facts in your first link! God you really are a seriously desperate little chap. *-)

Let me know when car production in your Little England is booming......i won't hold my breath on that though as there isn't that much left now anyway.......they're all leaving!! (lol)(lol)

Yep another graph that shows German car production has dropped off a cliff :D .........

It's a bit of a bummer seeing as they have 26 other economies to support ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-03 10:34 PM

Level of employment

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

Yep another graph that shows German car production has dropped off a cliff :D .........

Hyperbole......but it's hilarious watching you tie yourself up in knots as you veer from one link to another so desperate, you end up even disputing your own links!!! (lol)(lol)

It's a bit of a bummer seeing as they have 26 other economies to support ;-) .........

Nope, this is where your Brexit fantasy all falls apart. They have access to a massive market.......hence the reason that bloke you don't like to talk about is not building his electric car in UK. In fact he builds sod all in UK because he wants access to EU.

You need a British company to start making flying unicorns......be quick though, production lines are disappearing from UK. (lol)(lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-03 11:16 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-03 10:34 PM

Level of employment

Oh dear..... (lol)(lol)

Hyperbole......but it's hilarious watching you tie yourself up in knots as you veer from one link to another so desperate, you end up even disputing your own links!!! (lol)(lol)

Nope, this is where your Brexit fantasy all falls apart. They have access to a massive market.......hence the reason that bloke you don't like to talk about is not building his electric car in UK. In fact he builds sod all in UK because he wants access to EU.

You need a British company to start making flying unicorns......be quick though, production lines are disappearing from UK. (lol)(lol)

I guess we'll just have to watch this space wont we? ;-) ..........

Based on my experience of recessions the world is deffo heading for another one :-| ...........

Which of course will be Brexits fault :D ...............

If the world is heading for recession it wont be Brexits fault but it will of course make Brexit an even bigger disaster. Cheering and whooping at the news that other economies like Germany are suffering is a bit like celebrating that one of your biggest clients is going bust.

As for cars well the Japan Trade deal with the EU just made a big difference for a car thats been sold into Europe being made in Japan. Post Brexit with no deal if its made here it will face a tariff of say 10% so if an Xtrail produced here costs £30K it will in the future be £33K if its sold in Germany but if it comes from Japan it will still be £30K. Thats also assuming it costs the same to build. Then you have all the issues with just in time deliveries for parts etc and costs associated with that.

Reading the Sunderland Echo yesterday many are of the opinion that Nissan will go eventually and will be wound down. Brexit will finish the car industry and probably most of whats left of our manufacturing, even the leading Brexiteer economists have pretty much said so.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-04 9:43 AM

If the world is heading for recession it wont be Brexits fault but it will of course make Brexit an even bigger disaster. Cheering and whooping at the news that other economies like Germany are suffering is a bit like celebrating that one of your biggest clients is going bust.

With globalization recessions are inevitable *-) ............

They happen on average every 10 years, the last one was 2008 ;-) ...........

As for the Brexit affect, I think that will prove to be a good thing as our economy has ticked over rather than boomed B-) ...........

With recessions it appears to me that the countries who boom the most usually bomb the most, so with a bit of luck we'll get away with a slow down rather than a full recession :-> ........

Another thing I've noticed in the past is that they're a bit like union organised sackings......First in ...Last out :D .........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-04 9:43 AM

As for cars well the Japan Trade deal with the EU just made a big difference for a car thats been sold into Europe being made in Japan. Post Brexit with no deal if its made here it will face a tariff of say 10% so if an Xtrail produced here costs £30K it will in the future be £33K if its sold in Germany but if it comes from Japan it will still be £30K. Thats also assuming it costs the same to build. Then you have all the issues with just in time deliveries for parts etc and costs associated with that.

So that's 3k for UK PLC with every sale B-) .........

The only ‘economist’ ever cited by Rees Mogg & other ERG advocates of ‘no deal’ literally explains how its ‘success’ will entail the destruction of British industry & agriculture. This was from 2017

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/mps-react-after-vote-leave-11269819?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

It isnt baffling as to why JRM and the ERG want this mess, they are all disaster capitalists actively seeking the levelling of the country to make money from a fire sale of devalued assets.

Archived