No See 'ems

Archiesgrandad

I wonder if I might drag some of you away from all this serious stuff that you have to solve, and ask for a little help with a really serious problem that I have to solve.

I live in very rural South West France and it seems that we are heading for another infestation of minute flying bitey things like the one we had last summer. they attack with a frenzy any bare flesh they can find,and it is so irritating it drives us mad. They are so small that you can't see them, and you get no warning they are coming, and in the USA they are known as "no see 'ems. "

In our case they seem to be centred on a slightly raised decking area adjacent to our patio, and near to the house. last year I dismantled the decking and found nothing untoward, so I gave it a good soaking with a decent insecticide and reassemble it. Within 2 hours I sat down for a well earned beer and was immediately the victim of another attack. It means we cannot use one of the nicest features of our garden.

I know you guys get around a fair bit, so I wondered if any of you are aware of the problem, or can think of anything we can do to reclaim our patio.

AGD

Other than wearing long sleeve tops, trousers, shoes and socks, there's not much you can do. There are hats fitted with mozzie nets if you want full face and neck protection (ebay sell them). I always kept anti-mozzie spray in the van which you sprayed on your skin and found the cheapest worked best from Poundland.

Mosquitoes and horseflies are the things to watch for as both can do some pretty nasty damage.

Thanks for your thoughts, we don't have serious problems with Mozzies etc., it's just these beastly things.They don't seem at all affected by citronella or things that burn, and they are quite literally so small, we think, that you can't see them to spray them. You sit there and suddenly it'e like a hundred tiny needles being jabbed into your leg or arm or whatever.

It is such a shame that we are reluctant to go outside the house without completely covering up because of these things, and with temperatures generally around 30 degrees at this time of year, it's not that good being covered from head to toe.Even in the pool I have to wear a hat.

AGD

Bill (AGD) , we have some of the most annoying insects out in the bush. There is a product we use called "Bushmans" I have looked on the web and unfortunately it does not appear to be available in France. However the key ingredient is DEET and that seems to put the wind up the little buggers. If you can find an insect repellent that contained DEET you may well solve your problem. Would be nice to be sitting around a pool in 30c so enjoy. Winter here and where we are camped 500 odd klms north west of Sydney it has been around 22c during the day but -1c overnight. Good luck with the insect issue. Cheers,

Guest pelmetman
Geeco - 2020-06-29 6:46 AM

Bill (AGD) , we have some of the most annoying insects out in the bush. There is a product we use called "Bushmans" I have looked on the web and unfortunately it does not appear to be available in France. However the key ingredient is DEET and that seems to put the wind up the little buggers. If you can find an insect repellent that contained DEET you may well solve your problem. Would be nice to be sitting around a pool in 30c so enjoy. Winter here and where we are camped 500 odd klms north west of Sydney it has been around 22c during the day but -1c overnight. Good luck with the insect issue. Cheers,

https://www.pyramidtravelproducts.co.uk/blog/2016/november/29/the-biocidal-products-regulations/

"Will people still be able to buy 100% DEET, will 100% DEET still be available on the market?"

"No, as part of the regulatory process 100% DEET products are now being withdrawn throughout the European market and will no longer be available. DEET repellents over 50% in strength will not be legal for sale in the EU after 2016. Our Trek 100 repellent should be withdrawn from sale from the the 1st of January 2017."

The EU has banned it ;-) .............

Prolly because it was harmful to insects *-) ............

I had accidental success with an insect infection in a loft by fitting one of those fly-killer lamps which emit UV light and "zap" the flies when they get close. I left it powered on and then forgot about it until several weeks later and when I next went up there the lamp had failed but all the flies had gone. There were a substantial number of dead flies near the lamp but otherwise not a sign.

I have no idea whether it would work with your tiny midges but the lamp didn't cost much and it might be worth a try.

Archiesgrandad - 2020-06-28 11:34 PM

Thanks for your thoughts, we don't have serious problems with Mozzies etc., it's just these beastly things.They don't seem at all affected by citronella or things that burn, and they are quite literally so small, we think, that you can't see them to spray them. You sit there and suddenly it'e like a hundred tiny needles being jabbed into your leg or arm or whatever.

No, but anything that keeps mozzies off you will have the same effect....that was my point. If it's as bad as you describe then frankly the best guard is keeping arms, legs and feet covered. I know....not much fun in sunny weather but what would you rather have, a suntan or getting needled?

Ask your neighbours what they do.

pelmetman - 2020-06-29 8:05 AM

"No, as part of the regulatory process 100% DEET products are now being withdrawn throughout the European market and will no longer be available. DEET repellents over 50% in strength will not be legal for sale in the EU after 2016. Our Trek 100 repellent should be withdrawn from sale from the the 1st of January 2017."

It seems it was actually withdrawn because some of the scientific community feared it might be related to children having fits.

Now we have left the EU we will have to see if Dominic Cummings re-introduces it.

:-|

malc d - 2020-06-29 4:37 PM

It seems it was actually withdrawn because some of the scientific community feared it might be related to children having fits.

Now we have left the EU we will have to see if Dominic Cummings re-introduces it.

As Deet can burn holes in plastic bags I certainly wouldn’t want it all over my skin.

According to the SDS the Bushmans spray I use (aerosol) is 20% DEET, however they have a gel that is 80% The debate on DEET has been around for a long time, where there is smoke there is usually fire so it probably is not the kind of product you would use all the time. I use it rarely so I feel the risk is minimal and probably the benefits outweigh the downside. Cheers,

According to the SDS the Bushmans spray I use (aerosol) is 20% DEET, however they have a gel that is 80% The debate on DEET has been around for a long time, where there is smoke there is usually fire so it probably is not the kind of product you would use all the time. I use it rarely so I feel the risk is minimal and probably the benefits outweigh the downside. Cheers,

https://bushman-repellent.com/sds.php

Guest pelmetman

"Might" ;-) ...........So with no actual evidence the EU bans something *-) ........

They did the same with chemicals used to kill chicken flies........So the chicken flies flourished, and now anyone who lives within a few miles of a chicken farm gets to eat chicken fly sh*t if they dare to have a BBQ or leave a window open 8-) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-06-30 8:31 AM

"Might" ;-) ...........So with no actual evidence the EU bans something *-) ........

Evidently the EU decided to take no chances, and put a " protective ring " around the children of Europe.

Clearly, in their position, you wouldn't have bothered with such a plan.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-06-30 9:53 AM

Evidently the EU decided to take no chances, and put a " protective ring " around the children of Europe.

I'd have had the manufactures put "do not use on children" on the bottle ;-) ........

Obviously the EU thinks their citizens are stupid 8-) ..........

Judging by the Remoaners on here.......they may have a point :D ........

pelmetman - 2020-06-30 11:12 AM

I'd have had the manufactures put "do not use on children" on the bottle ;-) ........

Precisely.

So you can NOW understand why it was a good idea to ban them.

Well done for working that out.

;-)

Archiesgrandad - 2020-06-28 11:34 PM

It is such a shame that we are reluctant to go outside the house without completely covering up because of these things, and with temperatures generally around 30 degrees at this time of year, it's not that good being covered from head to toe.Even in the pool I have to wear a hat.

AGD

My first thought was Jungle Formula. It contains some DEET, depending on the version, but it seems it may not be available in France. However, it is available on Amazon.

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-06-30 3:48 PM

pelmetman - 2020-06-30 11:12 AM

Precisely.

So you can NOW understand why it was a good idea to ban them.

Well done for working that out.

;-)

Fortunately the non stupid ones voted to leave ;-) ........

Whilst they still had their common sense intact :D ......

Prehaps you left yours on that lefty fence you left a while back Malc >:-) .......

Just a gigglin (lol) ........

Archived