No deal.....Is the real deal......

Guest pelmetman

malc d - 2019-04-04 12:02 PM

Fake news alert.

" Everyone " ??

( If anyone can be bothered to read Daves link you will see it's not " everyone." )

:-|

Quite.....with Scotland getting just one line because 72% don't favour it, and NI don't even get a mention at all. They only want to talk about Little England and Wales. :-|

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-04-04 12:02 PM

Fake news alert.

" Everyone " ??

( If anyone can be bothered to read Daves link you will see it's not " everyone." )

:-|

Sorry I forgot your now a Remoaner *-) ..........

I should have said the majority >:-) ........

Here is some proper analysis of Daves poll which he has tried to show (as has the Standard) that the people prefer No Deal.

This info comes from Yougov.

"A No Deal Brexit (or "Leaving the European Union without any deal", which is the wording we use to avoid ambiguity) is seen as a bad outcome. Only 25% think it would be good for Britain, 50% bad.

"No Deal is only the preferred choice of 26% of people. 11% would prefer the govt deal, 12% would prefer a customs union/single market deal, 37% would like another ref and to stay after all"

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit

Looking at the data the top responses for the question 'If you had to choose one outcome of Brexit, what would you prefer to see?'

are-

'Britain having a new referendum and voting to remain in the EU after all'.

Next comes no deal, then alternative deal with SM/CU, and lastly May's deal.

Same survey also asks if people think Britain was wrong or right to leave the EU, and it's 54%/46%.

The report was just trying to push No Deal by bunching answers together.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-04 11:11 PM

Here is some proper analysis of Daves poll which he has tried to show (as has the Standard) that the people prefer No Deal.

"A No Deal Brexit (or "Leaving the European Union without any deal", which is the wording we use to avoid ambiguity) is seen as a bad outcome. Only 25% think it would be good for Britain, 50% bad.

"No Deal is only the preferred choice of 26% of people. 11% would prefer the govt deal, 12% would prefer a customs union/single market deal, 37% would like another ref and to stay after all"

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/04/04/what-do-public-think-about-no-deal-brexit

Looking at the data the top responses for the question 'If you had to choose one outcome of Brexit, what would you prefer to see?'

are-

Same survey also asks if people think Britain was wrong or right to leave the EU, and it's 54%/46%.

Your 50% includes those Losers from London & Scotland ;-) ..........

The poll I linked to was for England & Wales B-) .........

Those who want a no deal is on the rise >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 8:34 AM

are-

Ah I see. So its a bit like taking a poll in say Grimsby and saying there is UK wide support for Brexit and the other areas dont matter? Lets just pick leave areas to get the info we want to see. Bit pointless really unless you exclude remain areas from being allowed to vote in a second referendum. Fudging stuff to pretend to yourself that your view is supported might help you sleep better at night but it wont win an actual referendum. Whichever way you try and dress it up there is more support for a second vote than there is for no deal and a majority of people think no deal will be bad for the UK.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-05 10:10 AM

are-

Ah I see. So its a bit like taking a poll in say Grimsby and saying there is UK wide support for Brexit and the other areas dont matter? Lets just pick leave areas to get the info we want to see. Bit pointless really unless you exclude remain areas from being allowed to vote in a second referendum. Fudging stuff to pretend to yourself that your view is supported might help you sleep better at night but it wont win an actual referendum. Whichever way you try and dress it up there is more support for a second vote than there is for no deal and a majority of people think no deal will be bad for the UK.

Nope its a bit like taking a poll that doesn't include Remoaner heartlands like London & Scotland to discover what Brits really think >:-) .........

A poll which says to me...... us Brexiteers are in a good position for the impending war of attrition B-) ........

Cant wait for the opportunity to give Drunker & Co a good kicking in the polls :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 10:59 AM

are-

Nope its a bit like taking a poll that doesn't include Remoaner heartlands like London & Scotland to discover what Brits really think >:-) .........

A poll which says to me...... us Brexiteers are in a good position for the impending war of attrition B-) ........

Cant wait for the opportunity to give Drunker & Co a good kicking in the polls :D .......

Isnt that just what I said? Your discounting huge swathes of Britain because you dont like the results of their voting intentions. (lol) Whats the point of that? Do you think these places will not be allowed to vote in either another referendum or MEP elections or something? As for the so called Brexit heartlands supporting the likes of UKIP they went from 15% in 2017 to 8% in yesterdays Newport Bi election and in a constituency that voted heavily for remain in 2016 they just voted in a Labour MP thats a pro referendum remainer. You hardcore leavers need to start accepting reality that the worm is turning and there is no fight left in the country for Brexit.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-05 12:48 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 10:59 AM

are-

Isnt that just what I said? Your discounting huge swathes of Britain because you dont like the results of their voting intentions. (lol) Whats the point of that? Do you think these places will not be allowed to vote in either another referendum or MEP elections or something? As for the so called Brexit heartlands supporting the likes of UKIP they went from 15% in 2017 to 8% in yesterdays Newport Bi election and in a constituency that voted heavily for remain in 2016 they just voted in a Labour MP thats a pro referendum remainer. You hardcore leavers need to start accepting reality that the worm is turning and there is no fight left in the country for Brexit.

Yeah Labour won a safe seat by a much reduced margin ;-) .............

If UKIP hadn't of been standing the Tories prolly would have won :D ..........

Wait until Farage gets his Brexit Party up and running for the EU elections.......Coz this Tory party member will deffo give him my vote >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 1:00 PM

Wait until Farage gets his Brexit Party up and running for the EU elections.......Coz this Tory party member will deffo give him my vote >:-) .........

The intelligence of a Leave supporter summed up.

So UKIP, Tories and the Brexs**t party split the vote, Corbyn walks in to number ten.

And the fact you needed this pointing out to you is reason enough why you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Fast Pat - 2019-04-05 1:03 PM

So UKIP, Tories and the Brexs**t party split the vote, Corbyn walks in to number ten.

And the fact you needed this pointing out to you is reason enough why you shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Dave said he would vote for the Brexit party in the EU ELECTIONS. You can also expect many Leave voters to do the same. Many of us are prepared to stay a member of the EU ... once it has changed for the better. Not all Labour seats are safe ones. With a good campaign, many Leave voters can swing a number of seats away from Labour in a General Election.

In fact, if there is to be an early General Election called, I doubt that Corbyn will still be leader by election day. Keir Starmer has been groomed for the top spot for quite some time ... so let's get the Popcorn in and sit back and enjoy the fun. ;-)

Sorry, I hadn't read Barry's post before I started looking for the facts, but as I've also done the obvious thing, here's my two penn'orth. :-)

And here is a link to the actual YouGov survey of 1 April 2019: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ojewuniikg/Internal_190401_BrexitTrackers_w.pdf (Sorry, my Tiny url is on strike for now.)

You now have it straight from the horse's mouth, which well illustrates the selective and misleading mis-quoting in which the Standard is indulging.

Reality begins half way down page 2, at "Imagine...…………….." then compare the results in columns two and three (14-15 March, 31Mar - 1 April), for the various scenarios to see the combined national totals.

For example: the combined totals for leaving with no deal are that it would be:

a good outcome - 25%;

an acceptable compromise - 13%;

a bad outcome - 50%;

unsure - 12%.

Then when you've done that, compare what you see selectively reported in the Standard and (if you have the time, inclination, and energy), try to work out how the Standard got from the actual, published, survey results to what they so selectively report as representative of the survey. It is a travesty.

You will then see that they are selectively reporting the survey result to suit their own agenda - and it doesn't require a Sherlock Holmes to work out what that agenda is.

Does any Brexiter still reject the allegation that they have been manipulated?

What a disgraceful rag masquerading as a "news" paper!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 1:15 PM

Sorry, I hadn't read Barry's post before I started looking for the facts, but as I've also done the obvious thing, here's my two penn'orth. :-)

And here is a link to the actual YouGov survey of 1 April 2019: https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/ojewuniikg/Internal_190401_BrexitTrackers_w.pdf (Sorry, my Tiny url is on strike for now.)

You now have it straight from the horse's mouth, which well illustrates the selective and misleading mis-quoting in which the Standard is indulging.

Reality begins half way down page 2, at "Imagine...…………….." then compare the results in columns two and three (14-15 March, 31Mar - 1 April), for the various scenarios to see the combined national totals.

a good outcome - 25%;

a bad outcome - 50%;

unsure - 12%.

Then when you've done that, compare what you see selectively reported in the Standard and (if you have the time, inclination, and energy), try to work out how the Standard got from the actual, published, survey results to what they so selectively report as representative of the survey. It is a travesty.

You will then see that they are selectively reporting the survey result to suit their own agenda - and it doesn't require a Sherlock Holmes to work out what that agenda is.

What's up Brian?..........Don't you like knowing your in a minority in East Sussex? (lol) .........

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-05 1:03 PM

Who's talking about a UK election????? :-S .........

I would expect UKIP and Farage's Brexit party to do a deal, as I doubt either has the resources to put up MEP's in every seat ;-) ..........

My guess is UKIP will attract disaffected Labour voters......and The Brexit party disaffected Tories B-) ......

You Remoaners will have the choice of the limp Liberals or the Greens :D ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 1:52 PM

a good outcome - 25%;

a bad outcome - 50%;

unsure - 12%.

What's up Brian?..........Don't you like knowing your in a minority in East Sussex? (lol) .........

So Brian destroys your "news" rag in a structured argument citing the original source and that's your response? Did you ever leave the playground?

Guest pelmetman
Fast Pat - 2019-04-05 1:59 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 1:52 PM

a good outcome - 25%;

a bad outcome - 50%;

unsure - 12%.

So Brian destroys your "news" rag in a structured argument citing the original source and that's your response? Did you ever leave the playground?

The Evening Standard?.........My News rag??? 8-) .........

I wouldn't stick it on a 6" nail in the Karzi coz it only wipes left (lol) (lol) (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 1:52 PM...………………...What's up Brian?..........Don't you like knowing your in a minority in East Sussex? (lol) .........

Why would it be disagreeable to be told what I already know, merely because it came from you, Dave? :-D

No, because the constituency in which I live voted remain. However, what relevance (apart from the usual deflection from the facts) that has to the portrayal of the YouGov poll by the Standard I guess only you can see. You really should investigate your links before you post them. If you believe the Standard's depiction of that poll, it can only be because you simply haven't looked beyond the headline (which is par for your course) by comparing it to the actual poll results. By doing that, you confirm your willingness to believe the manipulative intent of the Standard. Good luck with that, but it doesn't do your credibility any favours, either on Brexit or more generally.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-05 4:36 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 1:52 PM...………………...What's up Brian?..........Don't you like knowing your in a minority in East Sussex? (lol) .........

Why would it be disagreeable to be told what I already know, merely because it came from you, Dave? :-D

No, because the constituency in which I live voted remain. However, what relevance (apart from the usual deflection from the facts) that has to the portrayal of the YouGov poll by the Standard I guess only you can see. You really should investigate your links before you post them. If you believe the Standard's depiction of that poll, it can only be because you simply haven't looked beyond the headline (which is par for your course) by comparing it to the actual poll results. By doing that, you confirm your willingness to believe the manipulative intent of the Standard. Good luck with that, but it doesn't do your credibility any favours, either on Brexit or more generally.

"Most areas in Sussex voted to leave the European Union, although some rural areas and Brighton bucked the trend."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36617385

:D .........

pelmetman - 2019-04-05 9:32 PM

"Most areas in Sussex voted to leave the European Union, although some rural areas and Brighton bucked the trend."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36617385 :D .........

You left this out from your link......of course we both know why don't we? (lol)

It was a narrow victory overall for the Leave camp with 50.23% of people in the county voting for an exit and 49.77% wanting to remain.

Less than half a percent! *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-04-05 10:30 PM

You left this out from your link......of course we both know why don't we? (lol)

It was a narrow victory overall for the Leave camp with 50.23% of people in the county voting for an exit and 49.77% wanting to remain.

Less than half a percent! *-)

I bet if there's another referendum and Remain won by a quarter of a percent you'd claim victory *-) .......

Dave, the subject was the way the Standard, which you chose to quote, had distorted the YouGov survey results - not how this or that bit of the country voted, or whether I agree with them. You think Brexit will be good, I think it will prove a significant economic mistake. It follows that I don't agree with you. QED?

That you are part of a majority of people who think Brexit will be good doesn't make you right, it just makes you a part of that majority. That fact doesn't alter my opinion. Opinions aren't necessarily dictated by majority views - as you've proved many times! :-D

The person whose views change to suit what the majority thinks has a weathercock for a mind, and opinions that will be discounted by others on that basis. (Ever heard of the vicar of Bray? :-))

So with the person who continues to hold a view in the face of factual evidence that it is mistaken - not because they are merely following a majority, but because they are too stubborn to change. If we leave the EU and the economy suffers I will have been proved right - although, on past experience, I fully expect you to deny any link between Brexit and its economic impacts. :-D

If you want me to change my mind, give me some evidence as a basis on which to do so. To date I have seen no such evidence from any Brexiter, just a lot of wishful thinking.

Saying I'm in a minority provides no evidence: I'm quite happy to be in a minority, because I have limited faith in the "rightness" of majorities where the constituents are large random samples, so unlikely to have specialised knowledge. OTOH, where the majority are economists, and the issue in contention is the economy, I am persuaded by their greater knowledge.

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 12:27 PM

Dave, the subject was the way the Standard, which you chose to quote, had distorted the YouGov survey results - not how this or that bit of the country voted, or whether I agree with them. You think Brexit will be good, I think it will prove a significant economic mistake. It follows that I don't agree with you. QED?

That you are part of a majority of people who think Brexit will be good doesn't make you right, it just makes you a part of that majority. That fact doesn't alter my opinion. Opinions aren't necessarily dictated by majority views - as you've proved many times! :-D

The person whose views change to suit what the majority thinks has a weathercock for a mind, and opinions that will be discounted by others on that basis. (Ever heard of the vicar of Bray? :-))

So with the person who continues to hold a view in the face of factual evidence that it is mistaken - not because they are merely following a majority, but because they are too stubborn to change. If we leave the EU and the economy suffers I will have been proved right - although, on past experience, I fully expect you to deny any link between Brexit and its economic impacts. :-D

If you want me to change my mind, give me some evidence as a basis on which to do so. To date I have seen no such evidence from any Brexiter, just a lot of wishful thinking.

Saying I'm in a minority provides no evidence: I'm quite happy to be in a minority, because I have limited faith in the "rightness" of majorities where the constituents are large random samples, so unlikely to have specialised knowledge. OTOH, where the majority are economists, and the issue in contention is the economy, I am persuaded by their greater knowledge.

Flippin' 'eck Brian......good luck on that one (bib)!

Archived