Non Stop Sex

howie

Sorry about the headline. Just a ploy to get your attenion i,m afraid. What I really need advise on is the best way to winter sub tropical aquatic plants. I have three varietys of floating flora in the fishpond that will succumb to the first sign of frost and i,ve just been informed that bringing them indoors is a non starter. I do have a large greenhouse but don,t want to go to the expense and palaver of heating such a large area. Any suggestions where I might stick them over the coming winter months. Howard.

*-) I've tried to over-winter hyacinths - they just went black and soggy :-S I think it's easier and cheaper to put them into the compost and start again. Most of these types of pond plants are brought in from abroad at the begining of the season. So although hyacinths reproduce profusely in the wild i.e. Amazon basin, they sulk in the UK! Water World at Bicester - if they are still there - have a web-site - you could ask for advice from them: but as they are selling plants etc. they might suggest binning them too! Some plants are being banned as from next year - such as parrots feather - which again disappeared without trace!

These plants came from the Amazon basin too Lizzy as I believe most tropical plants do. I know its easier to replace them at the start of each season and as they sub divide quite quickly when the warm weather arrives there,s no problem when it comes to restocking. I know this sounds strange, and perhaps other gardeners will understand, but I do feel responsible for their survival over the coming months and given the time and attention I have spent on them hope to bring the same plants through for next spring. The wife has given her kind permission for me to keep the best of them in a glass aquarium on the bathroom windowsill and the rest will go into plastic troughs covered in bubble wrap in the greenhouse. Whether they survive or not only time will tell but its the best I can think of at the moment. Howard.

I always feel sad when a plant fails to make it! But in the Amazon this particular plant is a thug and is being culled - so don't feel too guilty! It harbours anacondas as well as large pig-type animal, name escapes me, capybaras I think I mean (?) The hyacinths I bought have never flowered but do have a long purple spike, like a hosta flower. Warning - they will go smelly if they turn black!

Just had a good poke around the fish pond with a long beanpole Lizzy but nothing untoward so far apart from two dopey looking toads who seem to be halfway into hibernation. I don,t normally talk to my plants but when planting this years potatoes I did sing "I only have eyes for you" and this resulted in a bumper crop. Perhaps i,ll use my i.pod for next years sweet peas but not sure what type of music they like. Howard.

Archived