Nosey me again

michele

Ok where you all off to over Chrissy ?

Prolognan Vanoise as you all know hope the snows there going the 22nd back on the 30th . So merry Christmas everyone may all your troubles be little but most of all have a healthy one and look after yourselfs.

x

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-12-03 9:10 AM

Depends on how the test-drive of the new man goes on Friday ;-)

Best wishes for a comfortable drive Janine - or would you like me to warn him first?

Away from here ! Every year, look for warmer climes.

Saves having to buy Christmassy tree things, sticking tinsel up and decorating the place.

All of which leaves a mess to clear up on 12th night. 8o|

Strange how other countries outside of Europe only have minimal celebrations at Christmas.

USA seem to have a one day event, then prepare for New Year.

So I guess I'll get a few "Bah Humbug" type responses, but my opinion is that the whole idea is being hijacked in the name of commercialsim.

I had much more pleasure when I made my own paper chains and decorations, and later taught my kids the same thoughts.

Presents were personal and sometimes secondhand. I well remember the joy my daughter had when I refurbished a bicycle for her pressie. And you would not belive how much pleasure it gave me to be able to do it for her.

In many respects I agree with you Pete. A few years ago I made a kitchen trolley each for my wife and daughter (they're both chefs and love cooking, wifey one had been drooling over kitchen trolleys for ages). One huge advantage of doing it myself was that I could build them to exactly what they required rather than having a generic design and making do with it, plus i thoroughly enjoyed building them and they both get daily use.

This year wifey one and I have agreed to buy only a small pressie each and both put some money into a savings account. We intend to do the same for our respective birthdays and wedding anniversary for the next three years. 2010 will mark our thirtieth year of wedded bliss and we plan to use these savings to finance a trip to Italy (we went for our 25th to Venice but it was via Ryan Air, great time though) and tour around a bit this time.

As far as going anywhere is concerned then no we don't. We have my parents come to us for Christmas lunch the nwe all sit round in the front room and watch TV, play games or just fall asleep (I wasn't asleep honest, I was just resting me eyes!)

D.

michele - 2007-12-02 11:22 PM

Prolognan Vanoise

Don't worry Michele - you can get ointment for that now (lol)

We tend (especially since the lads grew up and left) to celebrate New Year rather than Christmas as it is Jill's birthday on New Years Day.

We've decided not to buy each other presents because it became a chore of "having" to come up with something just because it's Christmas - decided it's more sensible to buy things as/when we want/need them throughout the year.

Graham

with 3 young kids christmas is all about them , cant wait for them to wakeup christmas morning,

all the family come round to ours has we have the youngest kids. dvd party games and a few beers at night time all ads to a great day

Have to agree with Dave making his own and Pete nothing nicer than spending your hard earned time on it to see their faces.

We are only going away as daughter has her boyfriend and we wont see much of her and Son is off to Cornwall to see his Nan & grandad with his Aunt & Uncle and that leaves us sitting at home alone so we are paying for the M/H may as well go and enjoy it A?

I just do as I am told. At home with 4 generations of familly here. Kids screaming and shouting, nappy changing, pooing dogs etc. I do have an escape place but unfortunately get hauled out frequently from my cool place to be "sociable" in the overheated environment. Christmas Humbug!!

If the bloke who invented cats eyes had seen the cat going away instead of looking towards him would he had invented the pencil sharperer?

Scrooge

For us its just another weekend son lives in Chamonix daughter lives on I.O.M. ex daughter inlaw will not let us see our grandson ( selfish b**ch ) so as we have no other family members around we just buy some special foody treats and spoil each other . We take our pleasure touring europe later in the year better than any christmas for us .

kelly58 - 2007-12-03 5:56 PM

For us its just another weekend son lives in Chamonix daughter lives on I.O.M. ex daughter inlaw will not let us see our grandson ( selfish b**ch ) so as we have no other family members around we just buy some special foody treats and spoil each other . We take our pleasure touring europe later in the year better than any christmas for us .

sounds as though somebody needs to make an effort

The first year when we have not had to work over Christmas. We were going to have a quiet Christmas on our own. Not now though, there will be 12 of us a our Son's Mother in laws for a late afternoon Lunch. Sounds better than working. As for presents we buy little things for each other, but look for presents during the year when the hassle has all died down. Mind you the Grandchildren get spoilt!!

David

We haven't bought each other presents for years now, can never think of what we want so no point in wasting money or time. Much prefer hitting the sales after Christmas and getting bargains that we DO want! We also don't bother with birthdays, Valentines day etc. If there's something we want, within reason, we'll get it. We don't just rush out and do so though for the sake of it, we think about it first, that way when we do get it we are really happy with what we get (I think that made sense!).

My Mum on the other hand not only buys us presents but also the dogs as well - they love ripping their presents open on Christmas morning, it's then hell for the rest or the day as they f*rt all the time from all the chews they've eaten (no sprouts pass their lips) and run around squeaking the toys all the time. Usually by the time we've had our Christmas dinner we've 'popped' all the squeekers to shut the ruddy things up!!! I'm sure my Mum buys the dogs these to get her own back for when we were all at home as kids!

Before you all think, miserable so-and-sos, we do get pleasure in buying little things, such as when passing a Skeltons bakery and getting a teddy doughnut to share!!! :D

I like the sound of your Christmas K&D - sounds like ours was when the kids were young. But for us with kids of 21 and 25 those days are long gone.

Take a deep breath on the day, slot it away and remember it.

Those memories really are priceless.

K&D - 2007-12-04 8:58 PM

when does that start, my wife insists she doesnt want anything only token gifts from the kids, dont believe her for a minute. we have been together 8 years now what do you think

Don't believe her for a second... get her lots of 'bits' - it'll score you high on the romantic front, trust me!

(And need I say nothing for the kitchen!?)

Archived