Notifying a Credit Card company of travel abroad

spospe

As we are going to France on Sunday, my wife telephoned her Credit Card provider (Goldfish), this afternoon to notify them of the dates we would be away.

After a short period of "press button xx for this, or button yy for that" she ended up speaking to a female 'advisor' who had a non-British accent.

Advisor: "Where are you going?"

Wife: "France"

Advisor: "Where's that?"

Wife: "Eh?"

Advisor: "Where is France?"

Wife: "Mainland Europe" (well how would you answer that sort of question)

Advisor: "Is that Western, middle, or Eastern Europe?"

Wife: " Western"

Advisor: "Thank you; are you visiting any more countries?"

Wife: "No"

Sounds made-up? Sounds like a 'joke' and an exaggeration?

It happened, I was there. 8-)

Similar experience to me, as a lot of the calls go to an Indian, Pakistani etc call centre you can't really expect them to know where every place is over in our part of the world.

If it was the other way round would you know some of the countries/areas nearer to their home? :-S I probably wouldn't. :$

I hate foreign call centres with a vengence - very pleasant and courteous but it takes about 10 times as long (and I am not exaggerating) to sort out stuff. One of my calls to '3' recently took 50 minutes just to arrange the exchange of a faulty phone!!! 8-)

Mel B

No, I could not say that I am familiar with the exact location of all countries, but then I am not manning a call-centre that is dealing with those countries either.

It is surely reasonable to expect that whoever is on the end of such a telephone line to have at least a basic knowledge of such matters?

By the way the Credit Card was Goldfish, so not one of the 'tiddlers' :-)

spospe - 2009-09-11 10:38 PM

Mel B

No, I could not say that I am familiar with the exact location of all countries, but then I am not manning a call-centre that is dealing with those countries either.

Fair point, maybe its our accents! :-D

By the way the Credit Card was Goldfish, so not one of the 'tiddlers' :-)

Say no more ... I've dealt with Goldfish before - never again, I threw them back into the water as soon as I could ... to joint the rest of the guppies!!! :D

Archived