Notre Dame - huge fire

Bulletguy

Blimey....Notre Dame burst into a ball of flame around 5pm and now the entire steeple has collapsed. C4 news reporting that it was undergoing renovation and contractors were on site at the time the fire broke out. I doubt any woodwork will survive that but apparently there were also some priceless works of art too.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2019/apr/15/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-paris-france-landmark-live-news

Bulletguy - 2019-04-15 11:26 PM

One thing for sure, somewhere tonight there's one very nervous and worried insurance company. 8-)

Although probably not as nervous as the workman who was careless with his gas torch/grinding sparks/cigarette end/ dodgy wiring..?

Talking of "workman" wasn't "Antony1969" (Antoine?) supposedly *moving himself and his family over to France to live..?

He's gone quiet, maybe he'd got (up until last night?) a big job on? (lol)

jumpstart - 2019-04-16 7:54 AM

Valid point ,I wondered why there were no aircraft water suppresent.

It was said, during the fire last night, that dropping tons of water on the fire was not an option as it was likely to do even more damage to the structure of the building - plus the danger to surrounding buildings - and spectators.

:-|

The French have a couple of Squadrons of Canadair water bombers - one is based down near the Bay of St Tropez, the other somewhere near Grenoble I think.

The trouble with these things is that they need an open stretch of water to scoop up a load of water over 1000 metres long. They also need a clear approach to do their "bombing run" and then a clear exit path, as they bomb from about 50-100feet high.

They use St Tropez Bay and Grand Lac de L'affrey near Grenoble to do this. (They cannot take off from a land airport with a full load of water.) I have spent many hours watching them in both locations and they are superb and are really very excellent pilots. (Practising at Grenoble and fighting forest fires surrounding Gassin and Cogolin in Les Mures near St Tropez)

I can't see any long enough stretches of water near Paris?

So although the idea was sound, in practice it is fraught with difficulties which I imagine would require a lot of planning. Not much time for that last night?.

laimeduck - 2019-04-16 12:19 PM

The French have a couple of Squadrons of Canadair water bombers - one is based down near the Bay of St Tropez, the other somewhere near Grenoble I think.

The trouble with these things is that they need an open stretch of water to scoop up a load of water over 1000 metres long. They also need a clear approach to do their "bombing run" and then a clear exit path, as they bomb from about 50-100feet high.

They use St Tropez Bay and Grand Lac de L'affrey near Grenoble to do this. (They cannot take off from a land airport with a full load of water.) I have spent many hours watching them in both locations and they are superb and are really very excellent pilots. (Practising at Grenoble and fighting forest fires surrounding Gassin and Cogolin in Les Mures near St Tropez)

No doubt they are ideal for forest fires - but the experts say that dropping that weight of water on buildings could do serious structural damage.

pepe63 - 2019-04-16 8:41 AM

Bulletguy - 2019-04-15 11:26 PM

One thing for sure, somewhere tonight there's one very nervous and worried insurance company. 8-)

Although probably not as nervous as the workman who was careless with his gas torch/grinding sparks/cigarette end/ dodgy wiring..?

Talking of "workman" wasn't "Antony1969" (Antoine?) supposedly *moving himself and his family over to France to live..?

He's gone quiet, maybe he'd got (up until last night?) a big job on? (lol)

Well they've ruled out arson so it's now looking increasingly likely to be something regarding the work. Donations have poured in from around the world already over 600 million euro, much from wealthy French families and companies, yet what i find odd is the Vatican have been very quiet over it. I think that poster was only ever "moving" in his vivid imagination.

malc d - 2019-04-16 12:47 PM

laimeduck - 2019-04-16 12:19 PM

No doubt they are ideal for forest fires - but the experts say that dropping that weight of water on buildings could do serious structural damage.

Yes i can't see them being any use for anything other than forest fires. No good on building in the middle of a city where there's more chance of drowning innocent folk than putting a fire out.

Archived