OLd E111 cards

michele

What dose it exactly ent*tle you to say when in France . I am really confused as when people come here they are not asked to show anything .

If you took ill and needed the hospital again say France what can you expect for nothing ? If nothing then why do we have them.

We always have a good cover but I just want to know what this card is actually giving you apart from stating you are an EU resident .

Watching a Docu on TV where people think that they are insured for all kinds of things some very dangerous water sports .If people came here we wouldnt turn them away from our NHS ...please explain .what its for and why we need one .

Several years ago we had need of medical services and an ambulance in Austria. To cut a long story short, he passed out after being violently sick, paramedics assumed heart attack as he had severe pain around ribs. We went off to hospital where he had a scan of whole back area, and all we had to pay for was the ambulance and taxi back to hotel, which we were able to claim from insurance when back in the UK.

If taken ill it's very useful to have your passport with you as well as the card.

Obviously other countries may have different agreements with the UK re what gets paid for but I hope this helps.

The old E111 form has been replaced by the EHIC card.

( The old form can no longer be used).

The booklet that comes with the card says:

The card covers any medical treatment that you require from the state medical services in the EU either free or at a reduced cost.

( Doesn't cover any private treatment).

The card is valid for a period of three to five years.

(Expiry date in bottom right hand corner of the card).

Can be renewed by phone or post, no more than six months before expiry.

michele - 2008-07-26 2:36 PM

What dose it exactly ent*tle you to say when in France . I am really confused as when people come here they are not asked to show anything .

If you took ill and needed the hospital again say France what can you expect for nothing ? If nothing then why do we have them.

We always have a good cover but I just want to know what this card is actually giving you apart from stating you are an EU resident .

Watching a Docu on TV where people think that they are insured for all kinds of things some very dangerous water sports .If people came here we wouldnt turn them away from our NHS ...please explain .what its for and why we need one .

Hi Michele,

This link http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9548&posts=21 will give you country by country ent*tlement.

Don

Archived