Oldham anyone

michele

Bought a new kitchen from a company called Kitchens in Oldham.

Well thought I did . Due to be delivered today no show .

After spending the day on the phone to be told oh sorry not today?

Phoned another number the girl says all our files are with trading standards WHAT! Phoned trading standards they said have you seen the news. they assumed that i was from up there I explained I live in essex...

Can anyone tell me if they have seen the news about this company.Am I likely to get the kitchen or any money back?

Anyone live up north who gets the news

Hi Michele. I think you must be referring to the company run by Vance Miller, dubbed the "kitchen gangster" after more than 100 police raided his premises. He is now being held on suspicion of conspiracy and defraud after trading standards recieved more than 50,000 complaints from customers, and Miller has been regularly featured on Watchdog, Rogue traders and Britains worst.

Apart from deception and fraud, the kitchens he supplies have been described as absolute rubbish with poorly fitting parts that fall apart during assembly, doors that catch fire when near the oven and wrongly sized units held together with sticky tape.

The customer helpline is 08454 040506

Hope this helps and gives you some peace of mind. Howard.

Hope you paid with a credit card Michelle. That way, you have recourse of return of funds, otherwise, sorry, there won't be much of a refund.

Just like the Farepack fiasco. Crooks take you money for goods ahead of delivery/fitting, and bank it with interest accumulating to their benefits.

Saw TV chanel yesterday called "Hustler", based on UK scams, fidlles and frauds. Very enlightning !

Hi Michele. Hope everything works out ok for you and your new kitchen arrives on time. I think you should have taken Pete,s advice re. credit card payment ,or at least paid just the deposit with the balance paid on satisfactory delivery/completion. A lot of firms will not accept this arrangment in which case I would simply take my business elsewhere.

A case in point is when we had new uvpc doors and windows fitted some years ago. The first two companys refused the idea of a deposit and insisted all payments were paid up front before the work was done, but the third agreed on a 10% deposit, and only after the job was completed to my satisfaction did I pay the full amount, and after all, trust is a two way street.

Sorry if the info. I gave you was all negative, but this guy Vance Miller is well known for this sort of thing, and a jail sentence and ban from running a business in the past as done nothing to stop his activities, and it seems they simply set up a new company and carry on as usual.

Keep your pecker up and look on it as just another learning experience. Howard.

Howard,

the guy asked for £100 deposit I said sod off I will pay when it turns up .

It's not here yet by the way . In the end I parted with £30 I thought better than losing £100. The company is called Kitchens of mapel Mill Cardwell Street Oldham never again still you learn Glad that I have only been taken for £30 .Apparently the trading standards bloke said its not that they are bad it's just that they dont rectify what is wrong . things like missing handles Ect .

Well its not the end of the day yet so if it turns up soon I will check it before I part with my readies. the other option is no Xmas dinner so might as well get in the camper & go .....................Ummmmmm daddy or chips

oh well I phoned asked for my money back . NO CAN DO If i had of been nearer believe you me blood would fly . Keep promising to phone me back . The phone calls alone are rediculous . Well looks like another letter from another unsatisfied customer to Trading standards.

so having stripped out the old kitchen with no where to put anything I am really in a pickle . honestly how can they sleep at night makes you wonder .

Four phone calls today i wonder do i have the right Hubby in Bed .

can i take delivery if it ever comes refuse to pay and say look when I have cheked it all i will send you the money surely got to be worth the laugh .

Let them call the Police I will gladly get him out of bed . tell em noneed to call the Police I will call him for you .6.45 no Kitchen as yet ..

warning dont ever deal with this company KITCHENS Mapel Mill cardwell Street Oldham ............you have been warned ..

On the up I can always dish up xmas dinner on the kitchen floor better still drive up to oldham and torch the place . Wish I had the time .

Still be worth a trip in the camper thank god I am not that way inclined but could easily see why people get the hump.....

Never mind Michele, worse things happen though I cannot think of anything at the moment, and as long as you are happy then thats the main thing. Chopper lives not to far from Oldham, and i,m sure for a small remuneration he would be more than willing to sort these guys out for you.

Enough of this sentimental slush anyway. You will be pleased to know that i,ve finished my Christmas shopping, and the only thing that remains is that the wife wants to know what I want as a present.

Any suggestions for someone who has everything. *-)

VANCE MILLAR ,

YOU ARE CORRECT, CLEVER YOU.

thanks for that well Kitchen came 9 oclock last night atleast I will have something to cook on now....Empress thanks also..

knowing my luck will probably blow up haha still if the turkey explodes that Vance Millar will get a rocket up his jacksy...

Howard how about pink fluffy knickers ? Oh sorry you have everything.....

How about peace about good health ..........

Michelle, When you are ready, I can give very good ideas on being an arsonist (Fire raiser) as fire investigation was one of my fortes when in Fire Brigades. Gauranteed to go undetected !

However, on reflection, perhaps you ought to take delivery of whatever they send, and then refuse payment of any kind until fully installed.

Something to do with "Sale of Goods Act" and "Merchantable Quality" clause.

Beware of anyone coming along and making an offer to complete the installtion at a fee, as a favour. Usually former employees who know the ropes and get you twice, if not careful.

Dave Newell - 2006-12-06 7:26 AM

Howard, Penicillin?

That tickled me Dave, but not quite what I had in mind. I.m allergic to penicillin and the last time I had it I ended up in intensive care looking like the michelin man advert. Looking on the bright side, there seems to be plenty of ready stuffed turkeys around the Essex area and if you could spare a bag of spuds to go with the 30 sprouts i,ve accumulated then this, along with other contributions should ensure Michele a Merry Christmas, Howard.

I think Michele should be sorted for Christmas now she's got her kitchen (hope its all there). If not then why not cook Christmas dinner in the motorhome?

On the subject of what could be worse (but not wanting to belittle anyone elses problems), I bumped into a chap I used to work with the other day and although he's only a few years older than me at around 50 he looked about 90. Apparently two and a half years ago he got up one morning, came down stairs and was pottering around, as you do when suddenly his lights went out! He woke up in Stoke hospital having had a massive and sudden brain haemorage. Three weeks in Stoke followed by a week in Telford hospitals before going back home. They can't operate to cure the problem. He now has double vision so can't drive (something he loved to do before) he walks with a stick and very slowly at that. He can't even turn his head anymore but has to rotate his whole body!

It made me feel very mortal!

D.

The old saying "there,s always someone worse off than you" is as true as ever i,m afraid Dave. Broken bones, stiches and plastercasts are nothing more than mild irritations compared to the type of illness you just described, and along with serious burns, makes you wonder how some people find the strength to carry on. To near Christmas to discuss euthanasia, but after seeing the suffering some people have gone through, I would like to think of this as a serious option if I ever found myself in similar circumstances (cheerful bugger aint I).............................................Michele. I,m not sure if you took my original reply as a wind up, but i,m afraid everything I told you about this Vance Miller was true. Pleased to hear your kitchen as arrived, and lets hope there,s no problems with installation. In future, if you are looking for real quality and peace of mind then may I suggest you go to B&Q like the rest of us. Howard.

Howard,

Yes at first I thought Joke but then reading on I realised you were telling the truth . It turned up last night the delivery guys were fine . I got hubby to check it & check it . Its fine I had thought of refusing to pay and telling them to bill me . This would only wind up the oldman and he would end up lumping someone losing his job so I though better of it. the delivery men laughed when I said is this anything to do with Vance Millar yes they replied at least they were honest. I said is there anything you have left on the van .meaning for me ..again they laughed and said if there is we sell it ha ha..

just go's to show you you just never know whats what...

Sod the kitchen not really important in the scheme of things really .

We all still alive and doing well more to worry about . Think we will be heading off for xmas now if we can to the chriistmas markets ...find the snow.......

My dear Lizzy,

yes not bad for a cheapie...Cheep It's not fitted yet but hey why worry the kitchen floor will get finished laying this weekend I HOPE?

But took peoples advice going to france and have bought a pressure cooker & have a slow cooker . So sod the kitchen.. Looks like turkey allround from the Deli pre sliced lol ;-) (lol)

Archived