Olympics logo

twooks

experts Howie, can't expect these genii geniuses idiots to work for normal rates of pay like the rest of us.

plus, meetings, conventions, travel costs, entertainment costs, hospitaliy visits, reciprocal hospitality visits,

cheap at half the price - as my old gran used to say

[no, didn't understand it then either :-D ]

B-)

Hang about Michele. I,ve got the picture of it here and I can see the 20/12 now plus the word London and the five olympic rings. Still don't like it, but it does say its a generation thing and older people might not go for it.

howie - 2007-06-05 11:02 PM

Hang about Michele. I,ve got the picture of it here and I can see the 20/12 now plus the word London and the five olympic rings. Still don't like it, but it does say its a generation thing and older people might not go for it.

I wonder why may have something to do with the fact we are paying for it .

What do youngsters pay for ?.

Howie

You're not the only one not to understand it. It took me a while. In my local last night and different people were seeing different things(Not due to the booze). Best one was the owner's daughter who saw it as a runner in the start - "On your marks" position!!!

Now there's the epilepsy issue!! I think I could have done better for a fraction of that cost this would include all my travel, eating, meeting and greeting arrangements!!And they say that it was not tax payers money used for this.Just waiting for the next rip off associated with these olympics. We could be the laughing stock of the world. Look at how long the new Wembly arena took. We could always fall back on the arenas in Manchester which were built for the last Commonwealth games i suppose.

Thai

Thai

If they can waste £400,000 on just a logo, how much are they going to waste on the whole project? It's not just the waste of course, with so much public and lottery money sloshing about there will be scope for fraud on a vast scale throughout the constuction phase.

Recall the staggering level of incompetence and costing chaos surrounding public projects such as the Dome and other Millenium carbunkles, plus the Scottish Parliament building, IT projects etc etc? If the French weren't laughing when they "lost" the olympics bid, I forecast much merriment for them between now and 2012.

As for the epilepsy thing, I bet I wasn't the only one who, on first site of the daft logo promo, recalled that the BBC give a warning before EVERY news item which features flash photography! Don't Seb Coe et al watch the news?

Bob

Usinmyknaus - 2007-06-06 8:11 AM

If they can waste £400,000 on just a logo, how much are they going to waste on the whole project? It's not just the waste of course, with so much public and lottery money sloshing about there will be scope for fraud on a vast scale throughout the constuction phase.

Recall the staggering level of incompetence and costing chaos surrounding public projects such as the Dome and other Millenium carbunkles, plus the Scottish Parliament building, IT projects etc etc? If the French weren't laughing when they "lost" the olympics bid, I forecast much merriment for them between now and 2012.

As for the epilepsy thing, I bet I wasn't the only one who, on first site of the daft logo promo, recalled that the BBC give a warning before EVERY news item which features flash photography! Don't Seb Coe et al watch the news?

Bob

these things don't apply to them - just the plebs and proles - in other words the muggins who end up footing the bills

B-)

Just a simple logo and we still manage to cock it up. Thai's comments on whether it will all be finished on time is another cause of concern. Given our track record we,ll be lucky to get a egg and spoon race up Oxford Street. Lets hope the contractors are allowed to simply get on with it without the usual interference from politictions etc.

Mel B - 2007-06-06 7:53 PM

I recon if you draw the shapes out, then cut them out, you can make a fantastic ... something! :-S

krpton factor ???? could get a gold if you come up with something good

B-)

Personally I like it - but then I look forward to the next migraine as the triangular flashing squiggles that I have as a premonition of the literally mind numbing pain that is about 30 min away are just so welcome!

Seriously tho' what a pile if poo!

They had some chap on earlier that said there was some test they could be run on images to check if the flashes would trigger epileptic episodes and apparently - this thing does and - no they never bothered to check it!

As for the migraines - did anyone else get that sickening feeling when they saw the triangular flashing "tails" on the kids in the advert?

Just interested if you did - as when I saw it - I just got that awful feeling "Oh sh.t! - here comes another one!

The only good thing about this advert/logo whatever for me was that it WASN'T a migraine on the way!

Its cutting edge Clive and reminds me of a vist to Chatsworth House some years ago. Where you were once greeted by a magnificent bronze statue of Mercury, you now have a modern angular pile of scrap metal, complete with what looks like a pork pie hat that is supposed to represent man.

Desecration is the only way I can describe it, and another step in reducing this once great nation of ours to nothing more than a third world joke.

Been all over Europe following Liverpool David and yet to see a better venue. Not just the stadium but the city itself. Smack bang in the city centre with bars, restraurants and shopping available all within a few minutes walk. Even the police welcomed you and it all made up for a great weekend.

Compare this with Wembley. Awesome stadium but that apart absolutley nothing else going for it and I for one was more than happy making the trip down to the Welsh capital, but as a Swansea boy you know all this already of course.

It's going to be embarrasing for us here in the UK. I think when it was announced that we had won it, the French tears were really tears of joy!! at missing out. How long will it take for us as a nation to pay off this debt. We've only just managed to pay off our "lend Lease" agreement to the USA 62 years after the event!!!!

If the logo is a sign of what we can expect - and we can't even get this right -then how are we going to finish off all the buildings required without making ourselves a laughing stock for the rest of Europe?We were considered leaders of inovation and discovery at one time now look at us, even our heritage is being squandered away.

Yes I'm part Thai - my mother - but I live and work here and am proud of my father's country, but hate to see it being labled as the laughing stock of Europe.

Thai

Not at all sure what it says about us. It was, apparently, all very different in 1948.

As to why we bothered to go get the Olympics, given that no country in recent times has ever broken even on it, I can only surmise that our illustrious lord and master thought it would be yet another bullet point on his CV!

He obviously realised that he wouldn't be in office, and possibly not even still in the country given that he hopes to be earning shedloads elsewhere, so doesn't care about the huge security issues surrounding the event. Given the concerns regarding the war on terror and all that I'm surprised any country wants the hassle.

;-)

Archived