Omicron surges as UK cases jump 90% in a day

Bulletguy

Nearly 250 new cases of the Omicron variant of Covid-19 were identified in the UK on Thursday – almost doubling yesterday’s daily total.

It brings the official count in the UK to 817 – though the true figure is likely to be significantly higher.

On Wednesday, 131 cases of the new strain were identified – but that jumped 90% to 249 a day later. 8-)

https://tinyurl.com/mu6d2vu8

It's unlikely that anyone in UK has died from the Omicron yet, although nobody is 100% sure how long it's been in the country. If the docs in RSA are correct that it is mostly mild then it could well be the break we need, C-19 is the latest covid to hit humans, millennia ago others hit and eventually both we and it adapted to live together.

The local figures are out again today, in this area deaths are still going up, but I doubt any are Omicron, they will all be Delta. There has been a huge increase in 5 to 10 y.o.'s, and a large increase in the group that would equate to being their parents, testing positive. could this be Omicron sweeping through? well we are only 1/2hour journey from a Omicron red area, so looks like it.

colin - 2021-12-10 10:28 AM

The local figures are out again today, in this area deaths are still going up, but I doubt any are Omicron, they will all be Delta. There has been a huge increase in 5 to 10 y.o.'s, and a large increase in the group that would equate to being their parents, testing positive. could this be Omicron sweeping through? well we are only 1/2hour journey from a Omicron red area, so looks like it.

Yes I had a look at the WHO site yesterday and so far no deaths reported specifically to the Omicron variant. What is worrying is the speed at which it's spread. WHO also stated it could take weeks to determine how infectious the variant is, whether it causes more severe illness and how effective treatments and vaccines are against it.

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-12-10 10:28 AM

No doubt you'll blame Boris? :-| .........

Well one thing it has done is led to a big increase in the unvaccinated coming forward for the jab.

Of those I chat to a lot just "hadn't got around to it", a few vaccine / needle hesitant - I direct to the professionals! And a few prepared to admit that they are parking their antivax stance in order to get a vaccine passport - for holidays and events.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-10 7:14 PM

Well one thing it has done is led to a big increase in the unvaccinated coming forward for the jab.

Of those I chat to a lot just "hadn't got around to it", a few vaccine / needle hesitant - I direct to the professionals! And a few prepared to admit that they are parking their antivax stance in order to get a vaccine passport - for holidays and events.

When can we expect you to park your anti Brit/Tory stance? (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

The reason for the focus on the booster drive is that two doses of AstraZeneca offer zero protection, two doses of Pfizer and other mRNA vaccines just 25% protection against this variant.

Three doses of AstraZeneca zero protection, two doses AstraZeneca and a mRNA booster 75%, or three doses of any mRNA vaccine will also give 75% protection.

How long it will take to modify the AstraZeneca vaccine is the big question now? As the new variant becomes more common throughout the world only mRNA vaccines will be effective, due to the storage requirements of these products any roll out of the COVAX programme will be massively impacted and the potential for new vaccine resistant strains increases. Promising vaccine to other countries in the future is now too late.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covax-donations

John52 - 2021-12-11 1:34 PM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-12-11 8:41 AM

Three doses of AstraZeneca zero protection

In other words about as much use as 'Boris' who pelmethead credited for choosing it,

and blamed Germany for being sceptical of it.

It was useful stopgap measure and could have been even more useful if Johnson and others had listened to the WHO and issued a intellectual property waiver for vaccines, this would have allowed other countries to roll out their vaccine programmes quickly and may have stopped the virus mutations. Still who wants to listen to the experts and save lives when there is money to be made?

https://www.globaljustice.org.uk/news/over-10000-people-die-every-day-the-uk-blocks-covid-vaccine-patent-waiver/

thebishbus - 2021-12-12 9:43 AM

I thought we paid extra for the vaccines to help cover the cost of world wide distribution ?

Brian B.

No we pay more now for all meds, not just vaccines, as UK left the EU which has a regulatory body controlling the costs of all pharma to it's member states.

thebishbus - 2021-12-12 9:43 AM

I thought we paid extra for the vaccines to help cover the cost of world wide distribution ?

Brian B.

Nope, what we pay is based on how good we are at doing deals.

The pledge of vaccine donations is a separate with a lot of promises made by a lot of countries, sadly not so many have materialised. The UK pledged 100 million AstraZeneca vaccines, but as that's next to useless against the omicron variant, what happens to the 74 million

unassigned AstraZeneca vaccines which are now useless remains to be seen?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/covax-donations

The possible emergence of more virulent new variants was predicted by WHO, sadly some in the developed world chose to ignore this advice and prioritised booster jabs and vaccinating the young rather than getting the vulnerable in the third world vaccinated.

Well that didn't take long. :-(

First patient dies in UK after catching Omicron variant

"At least" one coronavirus patient infected with the Omicron variant has now died. It has been confirmed by Johnson so Pelmet will know it's true.

Earlier today it was confirmed that "at least" 10 people are in hospital with Omicron. :-(

https://tinyurl.com/4h6bn6ks

Bulletguy - 2021-12-13 2:11 PM

Well that didn't take long. :-(

First patient dies in UK after catching Omicron variant

"At least" one coronavirus patient infected with the Omicron variant has now died. It has been confirmed by Johnson so Pelmet will know it's true.

Earlier today it was confirmed that "at least" 10 people are in hospital with Omicron. :-(

https://tinyurl.com/4h6bn6ks

Interesting idea that anything can be CONFIRMED by Boris Johnson.

In my view, anything Johnson says needs to be confirmed by someone else before I would believe it.

;-)

Archived