One-pot meals

J9withdogs

With the holiday season now in full swing, the last thing we want is to be slaving over a hot stove for hours, followed by endless mounds of washing-up!

Let's share our recipes for quick & easy meals on the move.

I've got two favourites:

Tomato soup (Heinz, of course!) mixed with a tin of stewed steak. Serve with lots of crusty bread.

A quick Biryani curry - tin of rice, tin of (Sainsbury's) vegetable curry, chopped cooked chicken or tin of mushrooms if vegi. Heat through & serve with naan bread.

Top pan cooking - Used all of these to great satisfaction, not to everyones taste, some adapted from the new 2 pan cook book available at Vicarous books.

One pot spicy chicken

Chicken strips

1 onion

1 yellow pepper

1 courgette

2 garlic cloves

chilli flakes or powder

2 cups basmati rice

1 tin chopped toms

1 tin kidney beans

S & P

Brown chicken 4-5mins and take out – Fry onion, courgette and pepper 3mins

Add garlic & spices & rice fry 1min – add chicken back

Add toms and ¾ pt boiling water

Cook for 15mins add kidney beans cook for 10mins

Cowboy Pie

1 tin beans

1 tin toms

mince

oxo cube

1 onion

4 med pots

Peel and slice pots thinly, boil for 4 mins – while these boiling fry mince and onion, keep stiring pots so they don’t stick together.

Once mince brown drain off fat and add beans toms and oxo cook for 5mins.

Put mince mix in remoska and cover with pots, cook for 1 hr. or till pots are brown and crispy.

Keema Curry

Mince

1 onion

2 tbsp curry powder

4 med pots

2 oxo cubes

1 tin toms

2 cups frozen peas

½ pt boiling water

Fry mince and onion and drain then add curry powder and well diced pots together and fry for 1 min

Add oxo and boiling water

Put into remoska for 1 hr, could use split pan and do roast pots or rice in the other section. Could put grill section in and do a nann bread in top

Beef Pineapple Curry

1lb diced beef

2 onions

madras curry powder

1 garlic clove

4oz creamed coconut

soy sauce

can pineapple slices or chunks

1 red apple

Fry meat (coat in flour if you have any) Add onion, then curry powder.

Add Garlic, coconut, soy sauce and seasoning. Cook in remoska for 45mins or 30 mins if on hob or Cadac

Finally add pineaple chopped and diced apple.

Corned Beef pie

4 pots diced

2 cans c. beef

2 onions

chopped parsley

thyme

s & p

2 tin chopped toms or you can use slices of real tomato

6 slices bread,, lightly butter one side

Boil pots gently , watch they don’t mush or join together.

Fry c.beef and onions, add all seasoning

Layer the pan starting with toms, mince toms then mince - with 5 mins to go cover with the bread with crust removed and cut in triangles,

Cook for around 25mins - then grill until bread nicely brown not black.

Spanish Mince

1 tin kidney beans

1 tin harricot beans,

1 onion , spanish if poss

1 bay leaf

2 tbsp olive oil

mince beef

1 garlic

1 apple

1 red pepper

1 tin toms

6 green olives

1tsp paprika

½ tsp paprika and of cinnamon

just over ½ pt water

Fry mince, add garlic, then apple, red pepper, toms olives paprika and cinnamon, stir well,

Add both types of beans, can just use kidney if that’s all you have. Cook for ¾ hr in Remoska or ½ hour on top, Eat with pasta, rice or oven chips, garlic bread and Salad.

Caribbean Rice

2 onions diced

1tsp curry powder

10oz long grain rice

just over ½ pt white wine (dry if pos)

1pt boiling water

2 ripe mangoes

pack of cooked chicken diced

4oz frozen peas

Fry onions, add curry powder and rice, cook for 1 min

Add wine and stir, add salt and water cook for 15 mins till liquid almost gone,

Add chicken, mango and peas. Serve with french bread and salad.

Great for Cadac cooking, or inside on hob.

One pot Spicy Chicken

Chicken strips

1 onion

1 yellow pepper

1 courgette

2 garlic cloves

good pinch chilli flakes or powder

1 cup basmatti rice

1 tin chopped toms

1 tin kidney beans

s & p

¾ pt boiling water

Brown chicken 4-5 mins take out onto kitchen roll

Fry onion, courgette and pepper for 1 min add chicken

Add toms add boiling water, cook for 15 mins

Add kidney beans cook for further 10mins

Guest Wrinkly

I marshaled at motorcycle race meetings for over ten years. After a long day I was ravenous. So I invented Citroen stew.

Ingredients.

Tin stewed steak

Tin new potatoes

Tin garden peas

Method

Open rear doors of Citroen

Take out single burner,

Take saucepan

Add potatoes to steak

Bin peas

Heat and eat

Break out the Tetleys

Try not to arrange hangover

Busy day marshaling tomorrow.

Happy Daze

ps. Don't tell Nik about the peas ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Have to agree with K&D most of these make me feel like throwing up (except Mandys contributions :-D)

Some probably a hang over from scout/guides days which was OK when 12

any one fancy a sandwich?

Good idea Eddie. I've just noticed in the Towsure catalogue we keep by the loo (don't ask) that they do a 12v sandwich toaster. Could be tempted there!

(I try not to carry anything that will ONLY work on mains, as we're often "sans-hookup" & I begrudge the space taken by kit I can only use one day/night out of 4 or 5).

But don't knock the recipes - some of them look worth trying (not the curries as far as I'm concerned, I just don't do Indian!)

My favourite meal when in the 'van is to pick up or take with you a pack of Frozen Salmon steaks (always bought when on a two for one offer and frozen) and wrap these in tin foil with garlic abit of oregano and a splash of olive oil.

(Now use a simply olive oil spray thingy that looks like an aerosol can but gives a great spay of olive oil with each squirt - great in the caravan)

Either stick them in the oven for about 10 min or less if thawed or if weather good just place them on the BBG outside.

Serve with crusty bread (baguette preferred) and salad and a bottle of wine

Slightly off-thread (but it's my thread, so nah nah!)

Has anyone else tried the frozen mashed potato that Delia was using on her cheat's cookery programme?

It's Aunt Bessie brand and is not as good as the real thing but is much better than the powdered Smash. A good standby.

If you want good easy to do potato mash, then get the large packets of mash, the one that is like lots of little flakes, it's very easy to make - put required amount of boiling water in the bowl, sprinkle on the mash flakes, leave for 30 seconds, then give it a good stirring up and put in seasoning and marg or butter. It tastes like mash as well!!! Smash is okay, but it doesn't taste like mash at all.

We often do the tinned stewing steak/potatoes/peas/carrots 'stew' version and have it with some nice buttered crusty bread when travelling down to the ferry/chunnel or back. Easy to prepare and eat even when tired. We can even get the dogs to lick the bowl clean so no washing up!!! (No, I'm kidding about that ... honest!!! (lol) ).

CliveH - 2008-06-10 11:25 AM

My favourite meal when in the 'van is to pick up or take with you a pack of Frozen Salmon steaks (always bought when on a two for one offer and frozen) and wrap these in tin foil with garlic abit of oregano and a splash of olive oil.

(Now use a simply olive oil spray thingy that looks like an aerosol can but gives a great spay of olive oil with each squirt - great in the caravan)

Either stick them in the oven for about 10 min or less if thawed or if weather good just place them on the BBG outside.

Serve with crusty bread (baguette preferred) and salad and a bottle of wine

I would have loved that 8-) until the 5th of April last year!! that is when I had Oak smoked salmon at a restruant and spent the night with the worst food poisoning Ive ever had in my life I spent all Good Friday in bed I thought I was dying :-( I havent touched it or been near any since! even the smell while walking past the wet fish counter in the supermarket makes me feel ill.

maggyd - 2008-06-09 9:16 PM

Or saute an onion then thinly slice potatoes on top an oxo or two tin of peas and sliced corned beef its very tasty but for a cooler day, I call it Panacalty dont know how to spell it though!!

don't remember it having anything healthy - like peas in it >:-)

if you go a bit further north it's cheese instead of corned beef and called Pan Heggarty,

give me panakalty any day - however spelled

pity about the reaction to fish - there's an excellent fish man not far from you - at George Bolam at Sedgefield.

n if you starve yourself for a week or so first - you could nip in for a roast dinner while you're there - [recommend the 'small' version]

B-)

Archived