Our first big adventure!

dogmad

Hi all. We've just had our first big adventure in Piggy, 11 year old Hymer we bought last Oct. Since then, due to lack of leave we've only been away for long weekends and a short experimental trip to Northern France in May when we only stayed at 2 sites.

We covered 2,300 miles in France over 16 days, from Calais to the Alps, from the Alps to Vendee and then stopped at Honfleur in Normandy on our way back to Calais. We stayed at 5 commercial sites, 2 municipal sites (one excellent the other not so) and one aire at Chamonix, under the shadow of Mont Blanc.

We're already talking about next year's 3 week trip to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary - can't wait. Our 2 dogs loved it too (they're great travellers).

We had a caravan for 5 years but never took it to France as it just seemed too much hassle. Piggy took a real hammering on the alpine roads but didn't let us down. We're so glad we made the decision to switch from caravan to motorhome.

I hope I haven't bored you but just had to share this with someone, thanks.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wondefull,glad you enjoyed it. after having cars and caravans for many years,we saw the light and got our motorhome.half the agro and stress.

Should have done it years ago.but due to many reasons main one being money(or lack of it) only changed in May this year.already used it more since then ,than a year with the caravan(8m twin and a gurt great 4X4)

The motorhome is much cheaper to own and run.

Good luck with your travels :-D :-D :-D

martin

Guest caraprof

We did the same last year (swopped to a motorhome) but we had actually caravanned in France for a long time previously. I do prefer my motorhome I must admit, especially as I did all the towing, which calls for very responsible driving and requires total concentration if you want to get on. And then there's the reversing!

The only think we miss is having a smaller vehicle for exploring so we've had a rack fitted on the back and bought two electric bikes. They were a huge success in Norfolk a couple of weeks ago.

Anyway, well done! Sounds like you're now a confirmed European motorhomer.

Yes J9, you're right we are living our dreams, thanks. Just wish we didn't have to work - it gets in the way of travelling!

We do miss a smaller vehicle for getting about so have decided to get bikes and a little trailer thing they put children in for the dogs (don't know what they're called). We spoke to another couple who had electric bikes and they loved them.

Having said that we picked some sites that were walking distance to a town or village. We also had a boat trip on Lake Annecy which was lovely but if we'd had bikes we could have cycled to a few of the towns around the lake too.

We live and learn.

Hi - pleased you're enjoying your van ... great innit!!!

As for the dog trailer, we've got one and the only complaint I have it that it's quite big to store - we have a garage model so not a major problem, but it's a bit of a pain to fold and stow and get out again but as one of our woofs is a bit big there's no other option. When riding, you also have to remember that your bike has got a bit 'fatter' as well!!!

However, if your pooches are a bit smaller, would they fit on the rear of the bikes? If so why not get some good bike carriers fitted and mount plastic crates on there - there are plenty to choose from. You could then have a dog in each (make sure you put a harness on them and have a way of fixing it to the crate to stop them getting/falling out!). It would save having to store the trailer and you'd also have somewhere to put your shopping when you're out without the dogs.

909967624_dogtrailer.jpg.9b6918ca8637eab6c5565559947819a7.jpg

Guest caraprof
I'm sorry, but you doggy people are absolutely mad. Are you really trying to convince us that we should be tugging our pooches around? This is what you need.

Husky.jpg.757041b5cec7bbcaef63fcd56080a197.jpg

Mel, what a great picture, that's exactly what we want but didn't think about where we'd be storing it! Hubby mentioned baskets instead but I don't think I'd be able to handle a bike with one of our dogs in a basket. They're not big dogs but are about the size of a small spaniel.

Love the picture Caraprof, I think that's the ideal solution to our problem and, thinking green, is also a cheap and almost emission free mode of transport.

By the way, we did have a couple of mishaps along the way - almost going the wrong way onto a motorway exit, noticed just in time. And going around the Caen ring road twice in rush hour traffic having missed the exit. I put my foot down when following Tomtom's instructions, him indoors wanted to take us up a narrow alley in Honfleur.

Mel B - 2007-09-17 10:16 PM Hi You should find that if you put the crate on a carrier at the rear of the bike it should be fine, carrying dogs in a basket hung on the handle bars is not a good idea I must admit, unless it is a very small dog.

No Mel

This is what you need, well in Thailand anyway!!

Thai

49fedf.jpg.9801803adec6b30810ca7030788157cc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Poppy - 2007-09-20 6:03 PM Am I the only one to find the pics of the pigs upsetting?Picture dogs in their place and you would have an outcry!

Please, please, please  ask me about my countrymen who are trying to make a living - by trying to feed their families on no more than the equivalent of £3 per day!!! You try feeding a family of 3/4 on that and still smile!!

Our country is known as "The country of Smiles".

Then I'll try to explain to you all how this can be achieved. Some families have no other means of transport other than their M/Bikes. Could anyone in this country put at least 5 people onto a M/bike & go to the cinema??

I've got pictures of how we manage to use little scooters as modes of transport, and how adapable we Thai's are.!!

I'm here to defend what was meant as a little joke between me & Mel B.

We welcome all visitors to our country without any pre concieved conceptions.!! Can You do likewise? Me thinks not!!

If anyone has taken offence then so be it, But please do not just lable my country as "This is what happens in THAT Country"!!

And another thing, we are NOT the country that kills and then puts dogs into a menu.

I'm ready for any response from you all.!! Especially in the defence of my birth country.

Thai

Didn't mean to offend you Thai. My husband is Indian and I have visited that country many times and seen how people struggle to live there too.No I know you don't kill dogs for food, thats South Korea and I have visited there too. Son was working there for a bit.I also know that Britain isn't the big animal loving nation that we like to think we are.Ask the RSPCA and go see a battery farm. Go behind the scenes at big horse competitions too!!! I supose that guy didn't have a choice and maybe I was wrong to comment butI just didn't find it funny thats all, Sorry

we were in Thailand only 3 months ago ( for our honeymoon, no less!), and I endorse everything that Thai Bri says.

Plenty of photos of our trip on my website........

It is terribly easy, from our (comparitively) fantastically wealthy Western lifestyles, to criticise those who LITERALLY would starve to death if they did not do eveything they could simply to feed themsleves and their families.

Go there. See the country - not just Bangkok, but get off the tourist trail and experience the real Thailand, as we did.

It is a wonderful place. The scenery is fantastic.

The people, despite their grinding poverty, made us welcome everywhere we went. The King is revered everywhere.

Thai Bri, your "Land of smiles" is aptly named.

Of course it is not the West.

Culture, religion, lifestyle, incomes are all a very long way from what middle-England takes for granted. That's exactly why we went - to experience something very different.

And I hope that in some small way, the money that we spent in the local villages and towns helped the communities there.

I would commend Thailand as a superb travel destination.....so long as you take an open mind with you.

Cheers,

Bruce.

i do understand what evryone's opinion is but i have to agree i didnt like the picture either 'cos im a big animal softy. im not a veggie but i dont like to see the suffering (ignorance is bliss i guess?!) , whatever country/animal. i agree thailand's a fab place. and india. and vietnam. amazing foods even if you dont always know what youre eating! best to just go with the flow eh!

greetings everyone

Bruce

Many thanks for your kind words about my birth country.

Eventhough I now live and earn my living here I visit my homeland at least once a year.

Should have contacted me earlier as I could have put you in contact with several good friends / business associates to help with your discovery of off the beaten track sights.

My mother was born in Chieng Mai - northern Thailand - and a must is the "Loiy Kratong" festival. The literal translation is - " Floating Candle". Where we float candles on little rafts down the main river in Chiang Mai. This is to help us remember our dear departed loved ones.!! To see thousands of candles floating down a river at night is a sight to behold. If this festival / sight does not tug at your heart strings then nothing will. Around the end of October early November depending on which day the Buddhist day falls.

Once again Bruce - I thank you for kind words and I wish you and your good lady much happiness.

In Thai we say " CHOKE DEE" - which is Good luck!!

Thai

Thai Bry - 2007-09-29 12:24 AM
Poppy - 2007-09-20 6:03 PM Am I the only one to find the pics of the pigs upsetting?Picture dogs in their place and you would have an outcry!

Please, please, please  ask me about my countrymen who are trying to make a living - by trying to feed their families on no more than the equivalent of £3 per day!!! You try feeding a family of 3/4 on that and still smile!!

Our country is known as "The country of Smiles".

Then I'll try to explain to you all how this can be achieved. Some families have no other means of transport other than their M/Bikes. Could anyone in this country put at least 5 people onto a M/bike & go to the cinema??

I've got pictures of how we manage to use little scooters as modes of transport, and how adapable we Thai's are.!!

I'm here to defend what was meant as a little joke between me & Mel B.

We welcome all visitors to our country without any pre concieved conceptions.!! Can You do likewise? Me thinks not!!

If anyone has taken offence then so be it, But please do not just lable my country as "This is what happens in THAT Country"!!

And another thing, we are NOT the country that kills and then puts dogs into a menu.

I'm ready for any response from you all.!! Especially in the defence of my birth country.

Thai

The fact that the people are poor, some ride motorcycles and they smile a lot is no justification for treating defenseless animals in such a cruel way, the fact that you posted the picture as a joke (whilst enjoying a western life style) shows that you have no regard for the suffering of animals and that it has nothing to do with being poor.

michele - 2007-09-30 10:57 AM

You know what you laugh now Victor Meldrew BUT and it is a BUT when the people get so fed up that they don't want to be here anymore who will you PLAY with then.

Sad Person . Still what ever gets your Rocks off .

Are you on something Chel?

I can assure you I do not find cruelty to animals a laughng matter.

Archived