P&O sails off to Cyprus

Bulletguy

UK registered shipping company P&O are moving it's entire business to Cyprus re-flagging the whole fleet to stay within EU tax arrangements. At this rate there won't be much business left in UK.

Wonder how Seaborne Freight is coming along? :-|

https://greece.greekreporter.com/2019/01/23/uks-shipping-line-po-to-register-fleet-in-cyprus-after-brexit/

pelmetman - 2019-01-23 10:42 PM

Flags of convenience are nothing new *-) ..........

I wonder why P&O are changing from Bermuda? ;-) .........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Cruises

No idea why you put up a P&O Cruise line link as it's nothing to do with them. *-)

P&O Ferries Holdings Ltd is (was) registered in UK at Dover and that's the company which has relocated to Cyprus.

COMPANY INFORMATION

Registered Address: P&O Ferries Holdings Limited

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-23 11:08 PM

No idea why you put up a P&O Cruise line link as it's nothing to do with them. *-)

P&O Ferries Holdings Ltd is (was) registered in UK at Dover and that's the company which has relocated to Cyprus.

COMPANY INFORMATION

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

So the 4 ships that are currently registered in Britain are being re flagged in Cyprus.......out of a fleet of 19! >:-) ............

Smacks of petty Remoaner bitching to me :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 10:00 AM

COMPANY INFORMATION

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

So the 4 ships that are currently registered in Britain are being re flagged in Cyprus.......out of a fleet of 19! >:-) ............

No it smacks of a batty Brexiteer with dyslexia issues. When will you learn to read links FGS? *-)

The whole fleet is being re-registered, that's the entire business which was previously registered in UK at Dover....and six of it's ferries will be re-flagged.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 3:56 PM

COMPANY INFORMATION

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

No it smacks of a batty Brexiteer with dyslexia issues. When will you learn to read links FGS? *-)

The whole fleet is being re-registered, that's the entire business which was previously registered in UK at Dover....and six of it's ferries will be re-flagged.

6?........out of 19 ;-) ........are you sure? :D .........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%26O_Ferries

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 6:54 PM

COMPANY INFORMATION

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

Oh FGS READ the damn link in the op for pities sakes!!!!!! *-)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-24 9:49 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-24 6:54 PM

COMPANY INFORMATION

Channel House

Channel View Road

Dover, CT17 9TJ

Oh FGS READ the damn link in the op for pities sakes!!!!!! *-)

Read it.............. my mistake 6 out of 20 ;-) .........

How about this bit from the OP link: "He said that the decision to re-register the entire English Channel fleet will lead to fewer inspections and delays, “and will result in significantly more favourable tonnage tax arrangements as the ships will be flagged in an E.U. member state.”"

“We have no plans to make any other changes, including the terms and conditions of any of our seafarers, as a result of the new arrangements,” he added."

My italics above. So, "fewer inspections". What does that mean? These are drive through bow door RoRo ferries, are they not? I haven't seen a bow door ferry on the Med, theirs all seem to be stern ramp loaders. There are good reasons why ships are inspected, part to do with weather conditions, part with design. Will the Cypriot inspectors be as familiar with the safety implications of bow door designs as UK inspectors, or with the Channel weather conditions in which they operate?

But, of course, the underlying reason is tax. UK loss, Cypriot (and P&O) gain.

It isn't clarified where the crews will come from, but it is fairly normal for ships to take their crew from the country in which they are registered. Channel ferries tend to be crewed by French or British crews, commonly on a rota that involves 5 or so days continual presence on the ship, working shifts, with two or three days off. If the pay differentials are favourable, Cypriot crews seem an economical option even if employed on the same generic terms as UK crews. Air fares are not that high these days, especially if there is a continuing, regular, requirement than facilitates negotiated block bookings. I just wonder how many of the present French/UK crew will still be working the ferries in a few year's time?

And, if P&O want to go Greek, why Cyprus? I'm assuming Limassol - but why on earth not on the Greek "mainland" at, for example, somewhere like Piraeus, which is a major port (though I think possibly now Chinese owned)? It all seems very odd - but P&O must see financial advantage from it.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-01-25 9:41 AM

How about this bit from the OP link: "He said that the decision to re-register the entire English Channel fleet will lead to fewer inspections and delays, “and will result in significantly more favourable tonnage tax arrangements as the ships will be flagged in an E.U. member state.”"

“We have no plans to make any other changes, including the terms and conditions of any of our seafarers, as a result of the new arrangements,” he added."

My italics above. So, "fewer inspections". What does that mean? These are drive through bow door RoRo ferries, are they not? I haven't seen a bow door ferry on the Med, theirs all seem to be stern ramp loaders. There are good reasons why ships are inspected, part to do with weather conditions, part with design. Will the Cypriot inspectors be as familiar with the safety implications of bow door designs as UK inspectors, or with the Channel weather conditions in which they operate?

It isn't clarified where the crews will come from, but it is fairly normal for ships to take their crew from the country in which they are registered. Channel ferries tend to be crewed by French or British crews, commonly on a rota that involves 5 or so days continual presence on the ship, working shifts, with two or three days off. If the pay differentials are favourable, Cypriot crews seem an economical option even if employed on the same generic terms as UK crews. Air fares are not that high these days, especially if there is a continuing, regular, requirement than facilitates negotiated block bookings. I just wonder how many of the present French/UK crew will still be working the ferries in a few year's time?

And, if P&O want to go Greek, why Cyprus? I'm assuming Limassol - but why on earth not on the Greek "mainland" at, for example, somewhere like Piraeus, which is a major port (though I think possibly now Chinese owned)? It all seems very odd - but P&O must see financial advantage from it.

So just like JLR........its got nothing to do with Brexit ;-) ...........It's just a cost cutting exercise *-) ........

pelmetman - 2019-01-25 9:47 AM

So just like JLR........its got nothing to do with Brexit ;-) ...........It's just a cost cutting exercise *-) ........

P&O Ferries have been a registered company in UK for over 50 years, so if "its got nothing to do with Brexit"......why would they leave now, just as hundreds of other companies are doing?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-25 2:19 PM

P&O Ferries have been a registered company in UK for over 50 years, so if "its got nothing to do with Brexit"......why would they leave now, just as hundreds of other companies are doing?

Why are only 6 ships out of a fleet of 20 registered in the UK? ;-) .........

It's just typical Remoaner bitching that will ultimately backfire, once folk realize their safety is being put at risk for petty point scoring >:-) ..........

P&O.......Now stands for how to P*ss Off 52% of the population :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-26 12:36 PM

It's just typical Remoaner bitching that will ultimately backfire, once folk realize their safety is being put at risk for petty point scoring >:-) ..........

Typically you've avoided answering the question. Why is that Dave? Why when stuck in a corner you revert to counter-questioning, deflection, and various silly strawman arguments?

I'll try again.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-26 4:27 PM

Typically you've avoided answering the question. Why is that Dave? Why when stuck in a corner you revert to counter-questioning, deflection, and various silly strawman arguments?

I'll try again.

As I pointed out it's just an example of Remoaner pettiness *-) ...........

It was intended purely to make a anti brexit headline ;-) ...........

Although quite how the lowered safety standards will go down with their future passengers will be interesting >:-) .......

pelmetman - 2019-01-26 8:37 PM

I'll try again.

Although quite how the lowered safety standards will go down with their future passengers will be interesting >:-) .......

It's an extremely simple question and i can't figure why you're struggling to answer it.

I'll try again.

P&O Ferries have been a registered company in UK for over 50 years, so if "its got nothing to do with Brexit"......why would they leave now?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-26 9:16 PM

I'll try again.

It's an extremely simple question and i can't figure why you're struggling to answer it.

I'll try again.

P&O Ferries have been a registered company in UK for over 50 years, so if "its got nothing to do with Brexit"......why would they leave now?

I've said what its got to do with Brexit ;-) ...........

It's P&O doing their bit for project fear *-) ..........

Perhaps they should explain why the other 16 ships have been registered abroad for years? >:-) ........

ie......Were they re registered to reduce safety inspections to? 8-) ..........

I have yet to interact wth a Brexiter who can offer a coherent view as to why Brexit should be happening.

In the absence of coherent views they have recourse only to making jokes or offering sound bites. No one of them have yet been able to point to a single advantage of Brexit which is supported by evidence.

I'm afraid we can expect only the jokes or the sound bites....nothing else can be forthcoming...there is not one single advantage to the UK of leaving the EU........that's the problem with making decisions which are emotion driven rather than informed by evidence.. The evidence the Brexiters label ' Project Fear' as they seem intelectually incapable of relating to let alone interrogating the evidence for remaining no matter how decisive.

The problem with emotion driven decisions is that all you can subsequently offer to substantiate your decision is an emotional argument and after the event that sounds ridiculous even to a Brexiter so they are then unable to profer any explanation that makes any sense....all they can do is make jokes or offer the soundbites that were used to con them into voting Brexit in the first place.

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-27 10:15 AM

I have yet to interact wth a Brexiter who can offer a coherent view as to why Brexit should be happening.

In the absence of coherent views they have recourse only to making jokes or offering sound bites. No one of them have yet been able to point to a single advantage of Brexit which is supported by evidence.

I'm afraid we can expect only the jokes or the sound bites....nothing else can be forthcoming...there is not one single advantage to the UK of leaving the EU........that's the problem with making decisions which are emotion driven rather than informed by evidence.. The evidence the Brexiters label ' Project Fear' as they seem intelectually incapable of relating to let alone interrogating the evidence for remaining no matter how decisive.

The problem with emotion driven decisions is that all you can subsequently offer to substantiate your decision is an emotional argument and after the event that sounds ridiculous even to a Brexiter so they are then unable to profer any explanation that makes any sense....all they can do is make jokes or offer the soundbites that were used to con them into voting Brexit in the first place.

What actual evidence do you have that the UK has been damaged by Brexit? ;-) .........

Has any of your Remoaner "expert" predictions come true?..........

Did we lose 820,000 jobs?.......

Did we enter an immediate recession?........

Is Britain in technical recession like Germany?.......

Nope :D .............

All that's happened is JLR along with some other foreign owned businesses have blamed their preplanned cost cutting on Brexit *-) .........

Oh.....and P&O have re flagged 6 of their ships to reduce safety checks 8-) ........

The only emotions I've seen since the vote, is positivism from Brexiteers and from Remoaners negativity and temper tantrums :D ............

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 10:58 AM

What actual evidence do you have that the UK has been damaged by Brexit? ;-) .........

All that's happened is JLR along with some other foreign owned businesses have blamed their preplanned cost cutting on Brexit *-) .........

Oh.....and P&O have re flagged 6 of their ships to reduce safety checks 8-) ........

The only emotions I've seen since the vote, is positivism from Brexiteers and from Remoaners negativity and temper tantrums :D ............

You forgot to mention the fact that we shot from the top of the G7 growth to the bottom, the pound crashed massively against the dollar and the Euro leading to huge price rises and as a result of our lower growth Brexit is currently costing us £440m a week which is a tad more than the £350m promised to the NHS and we havent even left yet.

If all that has happened whilst we are still members of the EU how do you think your treasured no deal crash out will go?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-27 11:58 AM

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 10:58 AM

You forgot to mention the fact that we shot from the top of the G7 growth to the bottom, the pound crashed massively against the dollar and the Euro leading to huge price rises and as a result of our lower growth Brexit is currently costing us £440m a week which is a tad more than the £350m promised to the NHS and we havent even left yet.

If all that has happened whilst we are still members of the EU how do you think your treasured no deal crash out will go?

I wonder where we are now?........Seeing as Germany is in technical recession with France and Italy not far behind? >:-) ........

Oh.........and the euro is currently at 1.16.....levels not seen since.....

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 (lol) ............

https://www.xe.com/fr/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=10Y

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 9:47 AM

I'll try again.

I'll try again.

No you didn't. You specifically stated "it's got nothing to do with Brexit" two days ago.....the same amount of time i've continually been asking you if "it's got nothing to do with Brexit".......why would they leave now? I'm still waiting for a logical answer to that question.

So just like JLR........its got nothing to do with Brexit ;-) ...........It's just a cost cutting exercise *-) .

Good luck on that one! However here are a couple of views which just about sum up the mad mindsets. Some folk really should not be allowed loose with a pencil!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-27 1:21 PM

I'll try again.

I'll try again.

No you didn't. You specifically stated "it's got nothing to do with Brexit" two days ago.....the same amount of time i've continually been asking you if "it's got nothing to do with Brexit".......why would they leave now? I'm still waiting for a logical answer to that question.

So just like JLR........its got nothing to do with Brexit ;-) ...........It's just a cost cutting exercise *-) .

Which is correct.......they're obviously just using Brexit as an excuse to reduce safety inspections and save money *-) ........

They'd have done it anyway seeing as their other 14 ships are already registered abroad, but Brexit has provided useful camouflage >:-) ..........and suckers like you swallow it hook line and sinker (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 1:36 PM

I'll try again.

I'll try again.

Which is correct.......they're obviously just using Brexit as an excuse to reduce safety inspections and save money *-) ........

They'd have done it anyway seeing as their other 14 ships are already registered abroad, but Brexit has provided useful camouflage >:-) ..........and suckers like you swallow it hook line and sinker (lol) ........

Oh Jeez.....i don't think it possible you can spout much more nonsense in your desperate defence of Brexit!

If P&O Ferries had wanted to "reduce safety inspections and save money".....they've had over 50 years in which to do that!! Because they've seen the diabolical chaos and mess Brexit is creating, which is only going to get a lot lot worse, like many other businesses they took the sensible decision to leave and re-flag their cross channel fleet in Cyprus which is among the world’s leading flag registries, to avoid the inevitable delays caused by Brexit.

Stop denying awkward facts and start owning up to your Brexit sh1t.....it's what you voted for FGS!!

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-27 2:54 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-27 1:36 PM

I'll try again.

I'll try again.

Oh Jeez.....i don't think it possible you can spout much more nonsense in your desperate defence of Brexit!

If P&O Ferries had wanted to "reduce safety inspections and save money".....they've had over 50 years in which to do that!! Because they've seen the diabolical chaos and mess Brexit is creating, which is only going to get a lot lot worse, like many other businesses they took the sensible decision to leave and re-flag their cross channel fleet in Cyprus which is among the world’s leading flag registries, to avoid the inevitable delays caused by Brexit.

Stop denying awkward facts and start owning up to your Brexit sh1t.....it's what you voted for FGS!!

50 years? :-S .............

P&O Ferries is a British-based company that operates ferries from the United Kingdom to Ireland and Continental Europe. Wikipedia

Parent organization: Dubai World

Headquarters: Dover

Founded: >>>2002<<<

:D ..........

Archived