Parcel deliveries

grocer jack

Like many people, I guess, I have occasional deliveries of items I have ordered by ‘phone, mail, or internet.

Why is it that there is no foolproof way of getting these things delivered?

Parcel Force and the Royal Mail are usually quite good and will leave packets somewhere out of site. Unfortunately that is often at the wrong address! If it’s recorded they leave a card and, for 50p, I can get it delivered to my local Post Office. But not if they close it.

Couriers are the worst! Particularly TNT. I’ve got a parcel due, some books. When I got home last night there was a card saying they had tried to deliver but I was out. Naughty me, working for a living. Where do they think most people are between 8am and 6pm? Sitting waiting for them I guess. They say they will try again today, but, guess what? I’m at work, again!

Mail order will never work unless some one manages to think of a way round this.

Comments?

>:-) >:-)

Why didn't you ask for your parrcel to be delivered to your work address? How and when do you expect TNT to deliver your parcel if you're out at work during daytime hours? Or are you saying they should work in the evenings to deliver to people who are out during the daytime?

I'm not looking for an argument but when I order something I know it will be delivered during the day while I'm at work so I ask for it to be delivered to my work address, works every time for me.

D.

I have deliveries from Germany and Italy.

From Dresden via DPD which becomes Parceline here. Never had any probs and can track parcel all the way.

From Italy via UPS, again no probs and can track.

From Nuremburg via standard post, can't track but once credit card is debited arrives in 4 days via Parcelforce absolutely fine.

;-)

Dave Newell - 2007-12-04 12:01 PM

Why didn't you ask for your parrcel to be delivered to your work address? How and when do you expect TNT to deliver your parcel if you're out at work during daytime hours? Or are you saying they should work in the evenings to deliver to people who are out during the daytime?

I'm not looking for an argument but when I order something I know it will be delivered during the day while I'm at work so I ask for it to be delivered to my work address, works every time for me.

D.

Good suggestion Dave. Out of a wokforce of circa 75 people here by far the majority have their parcels delivered to the site. That way they know someone will be here to sign for them!

Regards Mike

Sorry Jack, but mail order works just fine.

Maybe not for you personally, but as a global system it's MASSIVE business, and is growing by spectacular amounts year-on-year, driven by the explosion of internet retailing.

But the delivery systems cannot cost-effectively be tailored to meet every single individuals delivery paradise.

So you may have to adapt a little if you are out all day every day - arrange delivery to work, or to a neighbour. Or to a mailbox address, etc.

I post around 30 items a day, mainly lingerie and many of the ladies have it delivered to works address, some of them have to make you smile when you see the type of job they are in and the kind of undies they are wearing.

I guess they trust that no one in work will open their post for them, I have a Major who orders from far away places abroad, and has them delivered to his wife in Germany. Royal mail I have to say have been great for me, I think over 2 years they have only lost 5 items which for me is good considering how much I send.

Have to agree about couriers it is frustrating when you have to go to their depots as I did a week ago and it is very difficult finding anyone who knows who had your parcel and if they have returned with it, it took an hour for them to locate it even though I had called them before I left. Believe it or not it was sitting under the counter where she was stood talking to me!!

Mandy (not shivering yet)

Mike Parke - 2007-12-04 3:04 PM

when I order something I know it will be delivered during the day while I'm at work so I ask for it to be delivered to my work address, works every time for me.

D.

Sorry, but what happened to customer service!

I do have expensive items delivered to work, but that's not an option for manypeople. Can't imagine Asda or Tesco being keen to be unpaid post offices. Also many people do not live on the planet you inhabit where neighbours are still in the 50s and only too willing to lend a hand.

Many people live on this earth where neighbours are only the people who live next door.

I live in a Close off a road with the same name. Because some posties can't read the people at 30 Xxxxx Road have had delivered and kept hundreds of £s of goods addressed to 30 Xxxxx Close. There's neighbourliness!!

I ordered a

Laptop and the firm who supplied it use Parcelforce as their carrier. I too got a card so phoned up and agreed to drive 15 miles to the depot to collect it. When I was given the package it was a bit light so I opened it in the Parcelforce office. Lots of polystyrene, handbook but no Laptop.

"Could have gone anywhere" the man said as he took out the claim form.

Never again.

grocer jack - 2007-12-04 3:25 PM

Mike Parke - 2007-12-04 3:04 PM

when I order something I know it will be delivered during the day while I'm at work so I ask for it to be delivered to my work address, works every time for me.

D.

Sorry, but what happened to customer service!

I do have expensive items delivered to work, but that's not an option for manypeople. Can't imagine Asda or Tesco being keen to be unpaid post offices. Also many people do not live on the planet you inhabit where neighbours are still in the 50s and only too willing to lend a hand.

Many people live on this earth where neighbours are only the people who live next door.

I live in a Close off a road with the same name. Because some posties can't read the people at 30 Xxxxx Road have had delivered and kept hundreds of £s of goods addressed to 30 Xxxxx Close. There's neighbourliness!!

So what's your solution Jack?

:-)

D.

My solution?

Well, for one it would involve all delivery companies delivering up to 9pm weekdays, and at least up to 12 midday on Sat & Sun.

This should be driven by retailers. I imagine the Amazon account is worth a few bob, and, therefore, they could make it happen.

Secondly, as some courier companies already do, make the last leg local, and employ local people who will deliver when you want, within reason.

I've had this with some deliveries and it works fine. The local person also gets to know your work, etc, patterns and delivers accordingly.

Guest Tracker

I quote in full an email received from an ex forum member.

I quote;-

"Having goods delivered to a work address is a recipe for fraud.

As retailers, my firm will only deliver goods to the address at which the card is registered.

This way if someone clones your card the goods can only be sent to you, so you will lose nothing (apart from the fag of having the supplier collect them, but he'll be happy not to have been defrauded).

Sending to a different address is how fraudsters obtain goods.

We will occasionally send goods to an office if it's a regular customer or if the client insists on it, in which case we ask him to fax us the following. A copy of his latest credit card statement, which only he would have, together with some proof that he actually works where he says he does.

It is a fag but most people understand. Retailers have to stand the loss if they are defrauded so we go to extreme lengths not to be.

This is one post that I really feel moved to respond to, but for obvious reasons I won't. Perhaps you could post the gist of this.

At least some people will understand that a retailer who won't post to an office isn't being unreasonable.

Of course with a £10 accessory, or a CD for instance, most dealers may take a chance, but not with a £1000 SLR camera kit we won't.

Fraudsters go for goods that are small and can be easily sold on."

End of quote

All things considered I think it is a credit to the man to take this trouble on our behalf given the amount of bile he has had to endure and I for one thank him for his efforts.

I recently sent a camera system to a customer, he requested that as he would not be in during the normal daytime delivery hours that I ask the couriers to deliver to his neighbour. Despite my making the request at the time of shipping the message failed to go through to the final delivery driver who carded the customers address. Customer phones me, I phone couriers my end and ask that they contact the couriers at the cusotmers end t orequest the item be delivered to the neighbour. This time it worked and the customer, to the best of my knowledge, received his parcel via his neighbour.

To deliver parcels out of hours will cost more, are you happy to pay extra for evening delivery? I'm not!

D.

A couple of book clubs I use to buy books for the grandchildren (not the ones based in Swindon), always ask where the parcel can be left if there is no one @ home. I usually suggest that it is left under the M'home.

My risk, I know, but safe enough to date!!

Regards Mike

A number of internet traders have delivery options, allowing speedier, or weekend, deliveries to be specified at higher cost.  Unfortunately this is not the norm, and it is not always very clear, but it may be worth exploring the "deliveries" areas of the websites to see if the options exist.

One or two private delivery comanies have agents in my area. If you're not in when the parcel arrives, it will be delivered to an agent, who then will pop round in the evening. These same agents can be used for returns. I don't know if there is an extra charge for this service.

Clive - 2007-12-04 6:48 PM

We have a hiding place known only to our normal postie and the milk man. But there is no way I would advertise it on here.

Clive, my previous profession notwithstanding, I will trust anyone until proved to the contrary.

Regards Mike

Archived