Paying for forums?

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I've been having great fun arguing with a bunch of liberals on another motor-home site about whether or not Britain should keep its nuclear deterrent (let's not get into that please!).

However, not having read the small print I find that I can only post ten times and then I have to pay! Why would anyone pay to join a web forum? I'm a member of two or three other forums on different subjects and I've never yet come across any forum that charges!

Is this usual amongst the caravanning/motorhoming fraternity?

Hi Frank. I have heard of a m/h site (possibly the one you referred to) where you had to subscribe before using, but I imagine like many others, this is the reason why i,ve never bothered to log on. We already pay enough for the privilege of using these websites, and if they cannot survive on advertising revenue alone, as the majority do, then the only thing left for them is to close down, rightfully, through lack of support.

This could become the thin end of the wedge, and if supported could become the norm unless we all show them from the outset that we are not prepared to pay through the nose for something that either survives on ad. rev, or subscription, but not both. Sky tv tried the same thing with their movie channels, where after paying for the service, they tried to place ad. breaks in the films, but were forced to back down after a strong public outcry.

The whole principle of the internet is free access and information for all, and any attempts to change this should be dealt with in the manner it deserves. Howard.

Frank Wilkinson - 2006-12-06 10:49 PM

Is this usual amongst the caravanning/motorhoming fraternity?

I think the site is a one-off in this respect, has been 'pay - per - post for about a year and there was much [tedious] posting of opinion at the time.If you suffer from insomnia you could check 'em out >:-( :-> should keep you out of mischief unti 2007 (lol) B-)

Hello Twooks,

I do not think "The Site" is "Pay-per-post" more "Pay if you want to post more than 10 entries and access most areas" but agree that it is, as far as I know, the only chargeable Motor Caravan Forum.

As far as Free Access and Information is concerned many many sites are chargeable including most of the genealogy sites I use. I really do not understand why anyone should expect everything to be free even when considerable time, effort, cost and knowledge is required to set up and run them.

Regards,

Mike.

Ah, yes Mike, but this type of forum is made up of people who not only ask questions but also offer the answers, it therefore "self-supports" and doesn't need any extra major input. Without the forum posters answering the queries posed, it wouldn't be able to exist - if you never got an answer would you bother to come back again? That is why I believe this type of forum should exist and continue to be free, if not then many who offer advice only, and never pose any questions would probably think twice about joining in - why should they if they have to pay to help others?

A general site such as the genealogy one you refer to sounds more like it is actually providing a database of information which people pay to use, and which someone else has had to spend a lot of time compiling, a different thing entirely.

What do others think?

:-S

michele - 2006-12-08 7:25 PM

Howard,

You might know about M/H 's but what do you know about sinking underground battleships ?

Your,e getting more confused than me Batgirl. Thats Choppers line. Off down the pub now to help put the final touches to this years Christmas/Fancy dress party. I went last year wearing only a sheet of sandpaper and won first prize as a "rough handfull". Would,nt have minded, but I went as Dick Emery. Try and keep out of trouble for the next hour or two. Howard.

Hello Mel B,

I totally agree with you in regard to forums like this one and "Others". A simple answer, if one does not wish to pay a subscription then do not use that Forum, the choice that some/many/few have taken. I do understand the point of view of others that posted information on to a free Forum only to find that access is then changed to Subscription. Personally I do not have a problem with that as I was already a subscriber and gave information gladly.

The paragraph on Free Access and Information was a comment picking up the posting by Howard where he refers to "The whole principle of the internet is free access and INFORMATION for all". This is much broader than just a few forums and as you rightly say, where the site is providing a database the setting up of which may include a high level of expertise and time/cost. Free access to the site YES, free information DEPENDS on the information.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Mike. My previous statement was pretty all encompassing and of course there are certain subjects and areas where paying a fee to access the information is justified, and as you say, a lot of time, effort and expense can be involved setting up these sites.

Maybe i,m bordering on the paranoid, but for the first time, everyone, everywhere can offer their own opinions and thoughts without fear of censorship or persecution, and some how the thought of paying for this privilige brings to mind the thin edge of the wedge. Lets look after what we,ve got. Howard.

hi I pay to go on the site you are referring to, my decision, my money, can't see the problem.

This site here is paid for from the magazines the owners sell and you cannot understandably, as has been proved in the past, slate the advertisers in those magazines, the other site has no restrictions as long as they are not libelous.

The amount of work that goes into running a succesful site is enormous and has to be paid for somehow. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Olley

olley - 2006-12-09 9:01 PM

hi I pay to go on the site you are referring to, my decision, my money, can't see the problem.

This site here is paid for from the magazines the owners sell and you cannot understandably, as has been proved in the past, slate the advertisers in those magazines, the other site has no restrictions as long as they are not libelous.

The amount of work that goes into running a succesful site is enormous and has to be paid for somehow. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Olley

I totaly agree with you. I run a couple of web site and they cost a not insignificant sum both in time and money

Dave

colin - 2006-12-07 7:22 PM

It is only this year that this forum became open, before that you would have to buy/subsribe to MMM, so in effect having to pay to use it. I guess someone knows how much usage has changed since becoming open.

I always got in & didnt buy the magazine.

Motorhomer

Mel B - 2006-12-08 6:46 PM

Ah, yes Mike, but this type of forum is made up of people who not only ask questions but also offer the answers, it therefore "self-supports" and doesn't need any extra major input. Without the forum posters answering the queries posed, it wouldn't be able to exist - if you never got an answer would you bother to come back again? That is why I believe this type of forum should exist and continue to be free, if not then many who offer advice only, and never pose any questions would probably think twice about joining in - why should they if they have to pay to help others?

That has happened to some degree.There is also the situation that a non subscriber who can have access to read the posts may know the answer to someones query but has no free posts left. So that also is a loss.

Motorhomer

Hi Frank, Im a member of the site in question. I choose to pay, my money and all that. They are a great bunch of Mh'ers who frequent the site and very informative and helpfull. Seldom a bad word spoken on there and its kept very well up together.

That has happened to some degree.There is also the situation that a non subscriber who can have access to read the posts may know the answer to someones query but has no free posts left. So that also is a loss.

Motorhomer

Yes I agree with that, I have used the other site and given some help to others at times on there but unfortunately my number of allowed posts have reached thier limit and since that time there has been several questions asked that i wanted to and could have given good advice on but thats not allowed. I do not believe in paying for forums on the web as to me that is against the principle of the world wide web but its up to the individual to spend his money as he so wishes.

Another thing i have noticed is that since the MHF site has gone in that direction the information being exchanged seems to have gone downhill and it seems more of a private clique with just the same few posters day in day out ,but each to their own.

Another thing i have noticed is that since the MHF site has gone in that direction the information being exchanged seems to have gone downhill and it seems more of a private clique with just the same few posters day in day out ,but each to their own.

How often do you read the threads on MHF?? Go on there and you'll see that there is a variety of posters, not just the regulars. Also, most of the regulars, you will find are staff!

I think MHF is well worth its small annual subscription charge. It is not owned by a large publication group, so has to find the money for server charges and site updating from somewhere!

Personally I have had 10 fold worth of value from my subscription. You get out of MHF whatever you want, from a little to a lot. Its up to the user how involved they get.

Rond said: Another thing i have noticed is that since the MHF site has gone in that direction the information being exchanged seems to have gone downhill and it seems more of a private clique with just the same few posters day in day out ,but each to their own.

This applies to all the sites I go on, there is always a hard core of posters, and this site is no exception. Some people just like to chat. :-D

MHF has over a 1000 paying members, so that's allot of people who think the subs are worthwhile. Of all the UK sites I go on this one included its the busiest, and the one with the most advice especially for RVer's like my self.

I am not saying I can't get good advice on here, it's just that MHF is directed at motorhomers, unlike this site which spreads its self over the whole field. (pun intended)

This site isn't free either, all the people who buy the mags indirectly pay for this site. how long would this site continue if people stopped buying them?

Olley

olley - 2006-12-13 9:32 AM

This site isn't free either, all the people who buy the mags indirectly pay for this site. how long would this site continue if people stopped buying them?

Olley

And how long would a post last if it slagged off the crap service the mags major advertiser gives? At least on MHF if you have something to say about a dealer you can say it, provided you can prove what you say.

Just my 2d's worth

Dave

Archived