Pensions triple lock

John52

Its been said that the fall in earnings this year and rise in earnings next year could lead to an unaffordable 20% increase in the State Pension. So the Chancellor as expected to break the triple lock guarantee. But he hasn't done so far.

Is this an admission that wages are not going to bounce back?

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-07-14 10:32 AM

France & Italy's economy have bounced back strongly, but not Britain https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/14/uks-growth-figures-dim-any-hope-of-a-v-shaped-recovery-from-covid-19

So maybe Sunak doesn't have to worry about a bounce back in earnings triggering an increase in UK state pensions to EU levels?

It's called timing Losers ;-) ........

ie.......It's that time of the month Dim Dim :D ........

Italy and the like went into lockdown before us, and have come out of lockdown before us......Hence their economies are showing a bigger bounce "AT" this time of the "Month" *-) .......

There's a lot builder folk who are very very busy B-) ..........

As why else am I waiting months/weeks for quotes for building work (?) .........

pelmetman - 2020-07-15 4:28 PM

France & Italy's economy have bounced back strongly, but not Britain https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/jul/14/uks-growth-figures-dim-any-hope-of-a-v-shaped-recovery-from-covid-19

So maybe Sunak doesn't have to worry about a bounce back in earnings triggering an increase in UK state pensions to EU levels?

Italy and the like went into lockdown before us, and have come out of lockdown before us......Hence their economies are showing a bigger bounce "AT" this time of the "Month" *-) .......

As why else am I waiting months/weeks for quotes for building work (?) .........

Ah right so you are saying that in two weeks time we will see our economy catch up with the rest of the world then? I shall hold you to that as I watch the FTSE All share index every day as I have a sh1t load of shares in it and they dropped like a brick in March. Its halfway recovered but has been flat lining apart from a bit of a spike in June for over a month. So in two weeks time ill be rich again then will I?

Dave Pelmet Financial Advisor!!

Barryd999 - 2020-07-15 4:44 PM

Ah right so you are saying that in two weeks time we will see our economy catch up with the rest of the world then? I shall hold you to that as I watch the FTSE All share index every day as I have a sh1t load of shares in it and they dropped like a brick in March. Its halfway recovered but has been flat lining apart from a bit of a spike in June for over a month. So in two weeks time ill be rich again then will I?

Not sure about FTSE All share, but FTSE 100 companies make about 70% of their dividends outside UK so you have them holding it up.

But really this is about UK workers earnings next year, rather than the international companies listed in London.

I'm still over 90% in the S&P 500 since Warren Buffet recommended it to his wife https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=CSP1:LSE:GBX

I'm a bit worried about how far it could fall, but would be more worried if it was in £pounds with BoJo printing money like confetti and secretly chucking it around to his chums https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

Imagine the front pages if Jeremy Corbyn was doing that ...

Guest pelmetman

Cheer up Barry ;-) .........

If you need a job? :D ........

I could do with a flunky B-) ........

I'll prolly have a few tons of topsoil delivered for moving soon? :-> ..........

PM me if you available? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-07-15 6:14 PM

So what bothers you is a Tory doing it......rather than a Marxist? ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-07-15 6:39 PM

So what bothers you is a Tory doing it......rather than a Marxist? ;-) .........

Well it was more about the 'newspapers' owned by BoJo's tax avoiding chums ignoring him chucking our money around.

But since you mention it, yes I'd rather it was JC chucking money around because at least he would be chucking it to the poor instead of the super-rich.

pelmetman - 2020-07-15 6:37 PM

Cheer up Barry ;-) .........

If you need a job? :D ........

I could do with a flunky B-) ........

I'll prolly have a few tons of topsoil delivered for moving soon? :-> ..........

PM me if you available? (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

I dont need a job but thanks for the offer. You couldnt afford my rates anyway! (lol)

That sounds like manual labour to me anyway. I dont even do that at home so Im buggered if Im moving your dirt about.

Not sure about FTSE All share, but FTSE 100 companies make about 70% of their dividends outside UK so you have them holding it up.

But really this is about UK workers earnings next year, rather than the international companies listed in London.

I'm still over 90% in the S&P 500 since Warren Buffet recommended it to his wife https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=CSP1:LSE:GBX

I'm a bit worried about how far it could fall, but would be more worried if it was in £pounds with BoJo printing money like confetti and secretly chucking it around to his chums https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

I Dont really understand it to be honest. I thought the All share index was UK Equities. 8-) As for holding up, they dropped hugely as did most I think but are holding up now but well below what they were pre covid.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-15 10:10 PM

I thought the All share index was UK Equities. .

Yes but includes worldwide companies listed in London - so they make most of their profits abroad, giving you some insulation from BoJo trashing the pound by borrowing like crazy and dishing it out to his chums.

John52 - 2020-07-16 3:44 PM

Yes but includes worldwide companies listed in London - so they make most of their profits abroad, giving you some insulation from BoJo trashing the pound by borrowing like crazy and dishing it out to his chums.

Ah right I see. Still crap though but not as crap as they were in March.

Barryd999 - 2020-07-16 6:56 PM

Problem is now Britain is helping the human rights activists in Hong Kong, China is likely to retaliate against British companies there - like Glaxo and BP. :-(

If we had still been part of the EU they would have supported us - with more strength than Trump because they have an economy one and a half times the size of the US. (no wonder Trump and Putin want to break it up)

But now we are a competitor to the EU they stand to benefit from British Companies demise in China :-S

John52 - 2020-07-20 3:28 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-07-16 6:56 PM

Problem is now Britain is helping the human rights activists in Hong Kong, China is likely to retaliate against British companies there - like Glaxo and BP. :-(

If we had still been part of the EU they would have supported us - with more strength than Trump because they have an economy one and a half times the size of the US. (no wonder Trump and Putin want to break it up)

But now we are a competitor to the EU they stand to benefit from British Companies demise in China :-S

Do you reckon I should get out of the FTSE all share index now then? I was kind of waiting for them to recover from the covid crash. They seem to have got about half way but are kind of flat lining now. My theory was that if there was no spike over the summer and another lock down here or elsewhere then maybe they would continue to rise but I never considered some kind of economic war with the Chinese.

1777297579_FTSEAllshare20July(Custom).jpg.5516ea730b72d682ea8c76fae9afec55.jpg

Barryd999 - 2020-07-20 6:37 PM

Do you reckon I should get out of the FTSE all share index now then?

I don't advise anyone where to invest because I'm not infallible and if they lost money I'd feel bad.

Wheras if I lose money I shrug it off.

BoJo is already factored into the UK share prices, thats why they haven't done so well. But they've done better than your graph suggests because that doesn't include dividends - which have been far more than you would get in a savings account, so even if you sell for less than you paid you could still be in profit when you include dividends Wheras the fund I'm in is an accumulator re-investing the dividends so its bound to look better on a graph.

From memory the FTSE All share is about 10% of the world stock market capitalisation

The S&P 500 ETF I am in is about 62% for an 0,07% annual fee

You can get even more diversification in a world tracker ETF like HMWO (ticker code) at 0.15%

SWDA at 0.2%

or VWRL which gives the most diversifiication at 0.22%

Through a platform like x-o or iweb that doesn't charge an annual fee, only about £5 to trade, low spreads, ans no stamp duty on ETFs.

But we are trying to see into the future which is notoriously difficult, and catches out people far smarter than me.

I wouldn't wish it on him, but if BoJo hadn't survived Covid 19, Cummings might have been ousted, Brexit might have been stopped, and UK share prices recovered. Then you would have missed out.

John52 - 2020-07-22 8:16 AM

From memory the FTSE All share is about 10% of the world stock market capitalisation

The S&P 500 ETF I am in is about 62% for an 0,07% annual fee

You can get even more diversification in a world tracker ETF like HMWO (ticker code) at 0.15%

SWDA at 0.2%

or VWRL which gives the most diversifiication at 0.22%

Through a platform like x-o or iweb that doesn't charge an annual fee, only about £5 to trade, low spreads, ans no stamp duty on ETFs.

But we are trying to see into the future which is notoriously difficult, and catches out people far smarter than me.

I wouldn't wish it on him, but if BoJo hadn't survived Covid 19, Cummings might have been ousted, Brexit might have been stopped, and UK share prices recovered. Then you would have missed out.

Thanks but I dont understand any of that really apart from its maybe better having a higher percentage of stocks in world markets?

To be honest this is the only investment I have that I am overly concerned about. Everything else I have secured (ish) to ride out the s**tstorm thats inevitably coming. I tried to find a financial advisor but the issue is I dont know who to trust so Im trying to figure it all out on my own. Simple it is not.

Well the general advice is st stay in cash unless you are going to invest for at least 5 years.

Because we might be on the verge of a crash, and you wouldn't have time to wait for the recovery.

But staying in £pounds has an inflation risk - especially with another 4 years of BoJo.

If you decide to investt in equities (shares) you can spread your eggs around more baskets by investing outside the London market, like a S&P 500 or world tracker. But if you did that, Brexit was cancelled and UK shares recovered, you would have missed out.

You can't control the markets, but you can control the fees you pay. Cheapest is an Exchange Traded Fund like the ones mentioned.

Has to be bought through a platform

The ones I use are x-o run by Jarvis plc - who most people wont have heard of because they cut costs by not advertising or paying commissions to comparison websites or financial advisers. They just go by reputation as they run the sharedealing services for Building Societies and admin custody services for other brokers.

I also use i-web which is run by Halifax bank, which are just as good and you can use if you prefer a well known name. They are also slightly cheaper than x-o at £5 per trade instead of £5.95

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-12 5:50 PM

so,

despite Britain having the worst death rate of any EU country 8-)

Britain also has the worst crash in GDP than any of the G7 - twice as bad as the USA 8-)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/12/uk-economy-a-full-recovery-from-the-covid-slump-will-be-slow

So just how many EU country's are in the G7? ;-) .......

Where do you think you will rank when you vote to "F" Off? 8-) .......

Just askin as your ......meal ticket >:-) ........

pelmetman - 2020-08-12 6:17 PM

so,

Britain also has the worst crash in GDP than any of the G7 - twice as bad as the USA 8-)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/aug/12/uk-economy-a-full-recovery-from-the-covid-slump-will-be-slow

we'll rank above England when all your industries set up here to be on the right side of the EU trade barriers :D .. and Looney Leftie BoJo has spaffed all your money away to furlough fraudsters

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-08-13 6:28 PM

so,

we'll rank above England when all your industries set up here to be on the right side of the EU trade barriers :D .. and Looney Leftie BoJo has spaffed all your money away to furlough fraudsters

Blimey you Jocks are really quite deluded 8-) ..........

Who's gonna bung you your daily meal ticket when you tell the English to "F" Off? ;-) ........

The EU? :D .........

Like they need another basket case economy to support in their worst recession ever >:-) ...........

so,

That got me laughing ... Seriously funny

Birdbrain - 2020-08-13 7:24 PM

so,

That got me laughing ... Seriously funny

The High Street, Pub & Casual Dining sectors were already in crisis - even before Covid.

Subsidising no-hopers isn't free market capitalism is it?

Neither is spaffing money away to furlough fraudsters

So what would you call it?

Archived