Peter Oborne interview

Barryd999

Following on from the article yesterday that went viral from Brexiteer Peter Oborne he was on five live this morning.

Here is the article again. https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

And the Five Live interview this morning.

Whether you believe in Brexit or not he makes very good sense. Brexit has failed and to leave now in the state we are in would be totally foolish. Article 50 is totally floored really. Two years even if we could have agreed is not enough. Ten would be more appropriate and I think it should be written into the process that a confirmatory referendum should be part of that process.

Violet1956 - 2019-04-08 10:59 AM

Thanks for the article Barry. A really interesting read and eloquent summary of where we are at right now.

Prepare yourself .

We await a carefully considered, well argued, in depth response, from Dave.

;-) :D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-04-08 11:21 AM

Violet1956 - 2019-04-08 10:59 AM

Thanks for the article Barry. A really interesting read and eloquent summary of where we are at right now.

Prepare yourself .

We await a carefully considered, well argued, in depth response, from Dave.

;-) :D

P*ss Off :D .......

So Mr Oborne has sold his eloquent soul to his new Remoaner editor *-) .......

Which proves WHAT? ;-) .........

He who pays the piper picks the tune >:-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-04-08 5:58 PM

What a shame. I had hoped from some sensible responses from Brexiteers on social media from that interview but so far either deathly silence or just rubbish like above.

Get over yer pompous self Barry *-) .........

Mr Oborne knows who butters his acerbic tongue ;-) .......

You get mine for free on here :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-04-08 6:10 PM

What a shame. I had hoped from some sensible responses from Brexiteers on social media from that interview but so far either deathly silence or just rubbish like above.

He writes one column in the Mail Dave which as far as I Can see has not yet morphed into some remainer bible. Nice try but a bit desperate sorry. Why not try commenting on what he has said?

Fast Pat - 2019-04-08 6:09 PM

Brexiteers’ latest protest involves staying at home and doing nothing.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top-stories/brexit-blackout-protest-strike-on-facebook-1-5983822?fbclid=IwAR1ZNkY71Qh1apZ52SdP9h3MSh0EzxJsnwrA_EG_l7AC_-Ej-cMH_xZ7JQc

Your going to have to come home Dave to join in.

I love this bit.

“A one day strike, no cars, no electricity, no shopping, just sitting at home with the TV off, nationally would cause our Government and the huge tax dodging businesses that benefit from the EU partnership a major issue as the loss would be in excess of £250 million for just one day of standing still."

Its the tax dodgers that want us out of the EU. As for it costing £250m for just one day of sitting in the dark looking miserable I somehow doubt it. Their last two efforts were pretty grim. A march that by the time it left Sunderland consisted of a dozen or so hypothermic pensioners in a mini bus looking for Farage who legged it back to London PDQ and a campaign to halt the nations traffic and stop the remainers getting to London for their march. Half of them got the wrong day and at the go slow meeting points they turned up for there were more Rozzers there than protesters. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-04-08 9:20 PM

What's with the huge gap in your post at 2.56 pm Dave? Should we all try to fill it in with some sense? ;-)

It's called timing :D ..........

What's with the huge gap in your post at 2.56 pm Dave? Should we all try to fill it in with some sense? ;-)

As Dave has explained - it's a " timing " device - as used on those annoying TV talent shows

where they say " and the winner is - - - -

Veronica "

It's just done to annoy people.

;-)

Barryd999 - 2019-04-08 11:09 PM

He writes one column in the Mail Dave which as far as I Can see has not yet morphed into some remainer bible. Nice try but a bit desperate sorry. Why not try commenting on what he has said?

He doesn't need to, because Oborne is only repeating what we've been telling him since 2016! :-D

I was hugely amused that Oborne pleaded in his defence on C4 news that he wasn't an economist, so had only just begun to understand the economic arguments against Brexit because he could now see the evidence emerging. Really?

Well, I'm not an economist either, and maths was never my strongest subject, but all it requires is sufficient reasoning power to work out that if you make trade more expensive you eventually reduce the number of jobs in UK, and if you eliminate all tariffs you put British workers into direct competition with workers on countries where state provision, and so taxes, are negligible, so undercutting the UK worker and putting them out of work.

It is odd that Brexiters can't see the similarity between bringing foreign labour to the UK to work (to which they object) and offshoring jobs to foreign countries (of which they apparently approve). The advantage of the first is that the foreign worker is subject to UK employment regulations and pays UK tax, while the offshored worker pays no UK tax, the import of his products adds to the UK's balance of trade deficit, and the imports replace products previously made in UK, so the people who used to make them lose their jobs. Economics, eh? Tricky stuff! :-D

malc d - 2019-04-09 1:02 PM

As Dave has explained - it's a " timing " device - as used on those annoying TV talent shows

where they say " and the winner is - - - -

meeee

Veronica

Veronica "

;-)

Guest pelmetman

;-)

Annoy people? 8-) ..........

Me? :D ...........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2019-04-10 12:43 PM

pelmetman - 2019-04-10 7:42 AM

;-)

Annoy people? 8-) .......... Me? :D ...........

Yep, as in "CARRY ON ANNOYING REMOANERS". Horse's mouth? :-D

"Touche" as they used to say in "Posh" Peckham many decades ago :D ........

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-09 6:12 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-04-08 11:09 PM

He doesn't need to, because Oborne is only repeating what we've been telling him since 2016! :-D

I was hugely amused that Oborne pleaded in his defence on C4 news that he wasn't an economist, so had only just begun to understand the economic arguments against Brexit because he could now see the evidence emerging. Really?

Well, I'm not an economist either, and maths was never my strongest subject, but all it requires is sufficient reasoning power to work out that if you make trade more expensive you eventually reduce the number of jobs in UK, and if you eliminate all tariffs you put British workers into direct competition with workers on countries where state provision, and so taxes, are negligible, so undercutting the UK worker and putting them out of work.

It is odd that Brexiters can't see the similarity between bringing foreign labour to the UK to work (to which they object) and offshoring jobs to foreign countries (of which they apparently approve). The advantage of the first is that the foreign worker is subject to UK employment regulations and pays UK tax, while the offshored worker pays no UK tax, the import of his products adds to the UK's balance of trade deficit, and the imports replace products previously made in UK, so the people who used to make them lose their jobs. Economics, eh? Tricky stuff! :-D

You think we’re not in competition with each new country to join the enlarging Eu, with their low cost labour and the Eu funds pumped in to improve their infrastructure.

jumpstart - 2019-04-11 8:24 AM.....................You think we’re not in competition with each new country to join the enlarging Eu, with their low cost labour and the Eu funds pumped in to improve their infrastructure.

Of course we are, but within the framework of the EU, which imposes limits on the extent to which the member states can undercut others. The EU knocks some of the molehills out of the playing field in the interests of fairer competition. That is why the free marketeers don't like it. They would prefer unmoderated competition with a winner takes all race to the bottom.

The infrastructure improvements are designed to open up the new members markets to the rest, and vice versa. The idea is to allow them to trade more readily with the rest, so improving their economies and improving their standard of living. As they get richer and their pay rises, their initial cost advantages relative to the richer states reduce, and they begin to import previously unaffordable goods from the richer states, so everyone gets better off in the process.

That is the whole idea, but it takes a few years before the economic benefits bear fruit. It is no different to regional development projects within individual countries, though on a larger scale. That is part of the reason I think Brexit is a bad idea. We have contributed to the costs, but will exclude ourselves from the eventual benefits. Daft!

Archived