Petrol Scare!

Leah

Apparently cars are breaking down after re-fuelling. This is happening across the S-East from what I gathered from the ITV news at 6.00 p.m. and is I belive petrol problems rather than diesal. But be warned: it is going to cost time and money to sort out the damage that the contaminates are causing.

On another Forum some time ago when others stated that the MPG achieved with the Tescos & Morrisons fuel was worse than the normal brands, we were assured by a contributor that all fuel was the same and that only the name on the outside of the lorry delivering it was the difference!

As most of us thought - it seems that he was wrong! ;-)

Hi, I remember that also, but from what i can understand it appears they are saying its from one delivery company ? who deleivers to both of those supermaker chains, so until they know whats causing it the person who posted about them all being the same could still be correct ?

Guest starspirit
Just because it all comes from the same depot does not mean it all comes from the same storage tank or out of the same hose, and even if it did who knows what additives are, or are not, added during the storing or loading process?

Apparantly the problem is isolated to a company called Greenenergy who are based at West Thurrock.

Theory at the moment is that the 5% ethanol added to the petrol (to make it more environmentally friendly) has not been mixed properly.

My take on this is:

It may be the oxygen sensors all coming from same maker, with consistent defect in a batch. Many car makers use universal components.

OR

It may prove to be clogged up catalytic exhaust converters.

When motors are run for short periods of time, the catalyst does not have sufficient time to reach operating temperatures, thus failing to burn off the carbon emmisions, leading to accumulation of carbon in exhaust,which in turn, eventually gets hot enough to ignite the congealed carbon in the system, which creates sufficient heat to melt the underseal, allowing it to drop onto an excessively hot exhaust system, and in turn, become ignited, setting fire to the cars undersides.

This is particularly likely to happen where the clearance between the exhaust converter and undersides is insufficient, perhaps after suffering some damage or poor installation.

Wingpete - 2007-03-01 2:23 PM

My take on this is:

It may be the oxygen sensors all coming from same maker, with consistent defect in a batch. Many car makers use universal components.

OR

It may prove to be clogged up catalytic exhaust converters.

When motors are run for short periods of time, the catalyst does not have sufficient time to reach operating temperatures, thus failing to burn off the carbon emmisions, leading to accumulation of carbon in exhaust,which in turn, eventually gets hot enough to ignite the congealed carbon in the system, which creates sufficient heat to melt the underseal, allowing it to drop onto an excessively hot exhaust system, and in turn, become ignited, setting fire to the cars undersides.

This is particularly likely to happen where the clearance between the exhaust converter and undersides is insufficient, perhaps after suffering some damage or poor installation.

:-S obviously *-) ;-)

as long as it doesn't affect diesel

B-)

Hi,

While all the suggestions are that LPG is greener ? than petrol and diesel, would we actually be able to get LPG if it wasn't for the manufacture of petrol and diesel as LPG is Liquid Petroleum Gas so i may be wrong but i think it is a by product of the conversion from crude oil to petrol and diesel, this should raise an interesting discussion ?

Brian

CliveH - 2007-03-02 11:41 AM

Or LPG!

I pay just 46pence a litre - lovely stuff!! -- Greener than both diesel and petrol and half the price.

And it is about 100 octane so my engine loves it!

Guest Frank Wilkinson
foxy - 2007-03-02 11:13 AM stick with diesel

No thank you. I may have to have it for my motorhome but I'll be damned if I'm driving around in a car that uses the smelly stuff and sounds like a tractor when it's ticking over!

Diesel ain't much good to a petrol engine! LPG is indeed a by product of the process whereby petrol is extracted from oil (its called fractionating). As for whether its greener or not I'm not so sure. Certainly it doesn't have as many nasty elements in it as petrol and therefore there are fewer harmful elements in the exhaust but it does produce a greater quantity of CO2 than petrol and as this is claimed to be one of the major greenhouse gases I do wonder if it is truly better for the environment than petrol.

Oh yes, as for converting to run my motorhome on LPG, with the mileage I do it would take over ten years (at current prices) to recover the cost of the conversion so I don't think I'll bother ta.

D.

Archived