Petrol

michele

Hi Michele, I didn't see or hear the tv or radio.... but I just called for petrol and the queue was right down the East Lancs Road: they had police cars parked to stop any problems. I filled up and asked at payment kiost what was going on and they said it had been like that all day but they didn't know why either..

What did the radio say about it all.... was it to do with the threatened strike or something? World going mad. Joy

As I understand it, there is a threatened strike by SHELL tanker drivers, or drivers contracted to SHELL.

Our rubbish media is giving people the impression that ALL tanker drivers are going on strike.

So,as usual, having tried to create panic, they are telling people not to panic.

Guess what - people are panicking.

(I think it's also partly due to the fact that a lot of people watch TV news, but don't listen to it).

:-| :-|

Hi Michele & Joy, The headlines in the Daily Mail say,Dont Panic at the pumps, and , unfortunately people are doing just that, It also says that Motorists would be limited to £20. With Diesel prices set to soar past £6

a gallon. It is all getting out of hand isn't it ? Am I pleased that my car

is 1.2 Corsa, which is very good on fuel consumption, But, I do feel sorry for the people, who really have to have a car and use it daily, And all the other services that are already suffering from these High Prices etc.

Where it is all going to end, I do not know, I use oil for heating and I am already worrying about the effect it will have on my fuel bill this winter.

Try to grin and bear it, I guess, Ria.

As Ria says, diesel about to hit £6 a gallon.

And some folk are flapping about the 2p rise from the treasury????

Unless my maths are failing that's equivalent to a 0.3% rise on a gallon.

If Darling Alastair REDUCED taxation by ?p a gallon (insert your own figure), it'd hardly make a difference.

Something is going to have to give. Sometime...

Bah humbug :D

malc d - 2008-06-11 3:51 PM

As I understand it, there is a threatened strike by SHELL tanker drivers, or drivers contracted to SHELL.

Our rubbish media is giving people the impression that ALL tanker drivers are going on strike.

So,as usual, having tried to create panic, they are telling people not to panic.

(I think it's also partly due to the fact that a lot of people watch TV news, but don't listen to it).

There was a spokesman on the BBC earlier saying that only 10% of people buy their fuel fromShell garages.

Therefore 9 out of 10 people won't be affected by the strike. No problem.

Bet the majority of people only heard the words 'fuel' and 'strike' though !

A good question Malc, but for essential users what's the alternative?

Bus prices up here are horrendous, we're ok in that we have a 55mpg car but if we hadn't, I dread to think what our motoring costs would be.

In fact we may well have to do something as my wifes work location may be moving and it could result in her using the car to go to work in the car instead of me.

She is fortunate to be able to walk there at present. So that leaves me with about 1 alternative and that's me cycling to work, ok with that but it's not an all year round fix.

More humbug 8-)

J9withdogs - 2008-06-11 4:32 PM

malc d - 2008-06-11 3:51 PM

There was a spokesman on the BBC earlier saying that only 10% of people buy their fuel fromShell garages.

Therefore 9 out of 10 people won't be affected by the strike. No problem.

Bet the majority of people only heard the words 'fuel' and 'strike' though !

Absolutely !!

The headlines in the papers and on TV should be "ONLY 1 in 10 PEOPLE WILL BE AFFECTED BY STRIKE "

I'm convinced that they want some panic because it gets them good pictures.

:-|

LordThornber - 2008-06-11 4:33 PM

A good question Malc, but for essential users what's the alternative?

Bus prices up here are horrendous, we're ok in that we have a 55mpg car but if we hadn't, I dread to think what our motoring costs would be.

In fact we may well have to do something as my wifes work location may be moving and it could result in her using the car to go to work in the car instead of me.

She is fortunate to be able to walk there at present. So that leaves me with about 1 alternative and that's me cycling to work, ok with that but it's not an all year round fix.

More humbug 8-)

You're just showing off because you've got buses ;-) ;-)

Last bid to avert tanker strikes

About 600 tanker drivers are expected to strike

Talks are continuing to try to avert a four-day strike involving tanker drivers who deliver fuel for Shell.

Members of the Unite union representing more than 600 drivers are meeting their employers to try to find a resolution to the pay dispute.

If their walkout goes ahead on Friday morning it will affect Shell's 1,000 forecourts across the UK.

The government has already urged motorists not to panic-buy fuel because of fears of shortages.

The talks are taking place at an undisclosed location and are being mediated by the conciliation service Acas.

The strike is due to start at 0600 BST on Friday and continue until 0600 the following Tuesday.

The Unite union says drivers' average pay, before overtime, of £32,000 has not increased since 1992.

But their employers, Hoyer UK and Suckling Transport, said the latest offer of a 6.8% pay rise would increase drivers' average salaries to about £39,000 a year.

Archived