Philips closes UK plant....430 jobs gone

Bulletguy

Electronics company Philips, is closing it's sole UK plant with the loss of 430 jobs. They are moving to Netherlands. UK CEO Neil Mesher said Brexit was not a deciding factor but late last year Philips CEO, Frans van Houten said Philips would have to rethink its manufacturing footprint in Britain if the UK were to leave the European customs union.

Much dancing on a pinhead to maintain diplomatic relations to sell baby bottles.....which just got more expensive.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46907026

Oh dear....Liz Kershaw really should stick to being a DJ. :-(

antony1969 - 2019-01-21 5:36 PM

"the UKs exit from the European Union was not a deciding factor" ... but late last year Philips CEO, Frans van Houten said Philips would have to rethink its manufacturing footprint in Britain if the UK were to leave the European customs union.

Selective editing won't cut it.....so i've corrected that quote for you. Always good to have full context isn't it.

pepe63 - 2019-01-21 5:45 PM

antony1969 - 2019-01-21 5:36 PM

... Jeez you are an utter bore ... Your boring ... BORING ... Get a life ya wet wipe

..and yet you still can't stop youself from clicking on his threads and answering...

'You pair ever considered couples' counselling?... :D

I wasn't aware I had to answer to little Pepe on who I reply to on here ... Should I check wit'ya in future ???

I think you also have to consider that statements such as "Brexit is not a factor" or "Brexit is just one factor" are probably them being diplomatic. This seems to often be the line thats dropped in. They are probably trying not to alienate themselves from what presumably will still be a market place to them post Brexit. If Philips were to say, "We are off because you headbangers have made it way too difficult for us to survive here post Brexit" a good chunk of people knowing how emotional it all is would just boycott their products in the future.

We have seen a steady trickle of these since the referendum. How many have we seen of new companies opening up shop here?

Maybe Phillips need to provide some Dutch jobs to keep up the appearance of being a Dutch company. I wonder if they will also transfer the multiple tens of thousands of jobs in the Far East back to Europe as well?

I would suspect myself that this has more to do with the Chinese made baby bottles being produced at a fraction of the cost and putting them out of contention. :-D

747 - 2019-01-21 7:58 PM

Maybe Phillips need to provide some Dutch jobs to keep up the appearance of being a Dutch company. I wonder if they will also transfer the multiple tens of thousands of jobs in the Far East back to Europe as well?

I would suspect myself that this has more to do with the Chinese made baby bottles being produced at a fraction of the cost and putting them out of contention. :-D

Maybe they simply enjoy the benefits fta's bring allowing them to trade easily within Europe....something Brexit wants to throw down the pan. Why else did Dyson decide to build his electric car in Singapore and not UK....just days after Singapore had signed fta's with the EU giving him access to a way bigger market than UK could ever provide.

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-01-21 7:58 PM

That's gonna be a major problem for Remoaners 8-) ...........

A shortage of bottles to chuck out of their prams on the 29th of March :D ........

Regardless of whether its Brexit or not is nobody concerned that there does seem to be a bit of an exodus of business leaving the UK from manufacturing to services. Out of the single Market our services is under threat and its 80% of our economy and the only net exporter is the North East who will be the worst hit by any kind of Brexit and our trade deficit and debt continues to grow. Im no economist but how long is that sustainable? Perhaps there is some truth in the rich elite of Brexit seeking to turn the UK into a de regulated tax haven. Just sayin.

Anyone got any bright ideas ideas if we get these wonderful trade deals what we are going to flog em as there will be no fecker left to make anything by the time Foxy gets around to signing countries up. Pelmet might have to come back from his sand castle marathon in the Costas to start up his Puffs again.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-21 11:22 PM

Regardless of whether its Brexit or not is nobody concerned that there does seem to be a bit of an exodus of business leaving the UK from manufacturing to services. Out of the single Market our services is under threat and its 80% of our economy and the only net exporter is the North East who will be the worst hit by any kind of Brexit and our trade deficit and debt continues to grow. Im no economist but how long is that sustainable? Perhaps there is some truth in the rich elite of Brexit seeking to turn the UK into a de regulated tax haven. Just sayin.

Anyone got any bright ideas ideas if we get these wonderful trade deals what we are going to flog em as there will be no fecker left to make anything by the time Foxy gets around to signing countries up. Pelmet might have to come back from his sand castle marathon in the Costas to start up his Puffs again.

There has always been businesses starting up and closing Barry *-) .............

I don't doubt for one moment that Brexit has been useful for big business....... as something to blame their planned cost cutting on >:-) ......

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-01-22 9:36 AM

Hmm. Brexit nerd Edwin Hayward has made a list and this is just from November.

https://threader.app/thread/1061554026284834817

Like I said......Brexit has become useful to big businesses for blaming they're cost cutting ;-) .......

Getting back to Panasonic, when they closed they're factory in Wales in 2006 was that due to Brexit? :-| ......

Nope........."Japanese electronics giant Panasonic said production is being transferred from the Port Talbot plant to Asia and Slovakia after the speakers produced by the factory suffered "severe price declines" brought on by tough competition."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/2946338/Panasonic-to-close-south-Wales-plant.html

Anyone got any bright ideas ideas if we get these wonderful trade deals what we are going to flog em as there will be no fecker left to make anything by the time Foxy gets around to signing countries up.

I think you'll find that most of the people who are saying " don't worry WE will be making deals all over the world " - they don't actually mean that THEY will be making deals all over the world - they are just hoping that someone else will.

:-|

malc d - 2019-01-22 10:38 AM

Anyone got any bright ideas ideas if we get these wonderful trade deals what we are going to flog em as there will be no fecker left to make anything by the time Foxy gets around to signing countries up.

I think you'll find that most of the people who are saying " don't worry WE will be making deals all over the world " - they don't actually mean that THEY will be making deals all over the world - they are just hoping that someone else will.

Yes..it's along the sames lines as those without jobs, mortgages, and/or sons/daugthers with jobs, mortgages etc, all bravely spouting how THEY would welcome a "hard" brexit.

RE; Philips.

It may've already been mentioned but their Cheif Exec' Frans Van Houten warned of this last year,-

"The firm has previously warned that Brexit would put Britain’s status as a manufacturing hub at risk.

Chief Executive Frans van Houten last year said that without a customs union - which has been ruled out by Prime Minister Theresa May - Philips would have to rethink its manufacturing footprint."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-philips-restructuring-eu/philips-to-close-its-uk-factory-in-2020-with-loss-of-400-jobs-idUKKCN1PB1ZZ

But hey, what does he know....

Whilst not every company that relcoates will be the solely down to Brexit, if companies have benefited from the UK being in an easy trading environment (the EU), and with some of them having relocated to the UK because of it, then it's bleedin' obvious that the UK leaving that said environment will have a day to day impact on them,and the decisions their bosses make..

It'd be just nonsense(though predictable) for some to claim otherwise.

(some editing due to dodgy spelling- some of which I've probably still missed :$ )

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2019-01-22 11:09 AM

Yes..it's along the sames lines as those without jobs, mortgages, and/or sons/daugthers with jobs, mortgages etc, all bravely spouting how THEY would welcome a "hard" brexit.

RE; Philips.

It may've already been mentioned but their Cheif Exec' Frans Van Houten warned of this last year,-

"The firm has previously warned that Brexit would put Britain’s status as a manufacturing hub at risk.

Chief Executive Frans van Houten last year said that without a customs union - which has been ruled out by Prime Minister Theresa May - Philips would have to rethink its manufacturing footprint."

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-philips-restructuring-eu/philips-to-close-its-uk-factory-in-2020-with-loss-of-400-jobs-idUKKCN1PB1ZZ

Whilst not every company that relcoates will be the solely down to Brexit, if companies have benefited from the UK being in an easy trading environment (the EU), and with some of them having relocated to the UK because of it, then it's bleedin' obvious that the UK leaving that said environment will have a day to day impact on them,and the decisions their bosses make..

(some editing due to dodgy spelling- some of which I've probably still missed :$ )

So if we weren't leaving the EU firms like JLR Panasonic etc etc wouldn't be relocating to low wage economies like Slovakia? ;-) ..........

In your dreams Pepe *-) ...........

Guest pelmetman

We're not allowed to do deals until we've left the spiteful EU ;-) ...........

So some delay is inevitable :D ..........

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 12:09 PM

So if we weren't leaving the EU firms like JLR Panasonic etc etc wouldn't be relocating to low wage economies like Slovakia? ;-) ..........

So...that would be the Slovakia that is within the EU then?...

(also.. I refer you to the last but one line of my previous post).

I suppose the German workforce were a bit miffed when Volkswagen moved a lot of manufacturing to Eastern Europe (with cheap labour) and also took over the Skoda brand.

That's how you run a Business. Manufacture spare parts cheaply and sell them at eye watering prices (not much profit in selling vehicles).

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 8:56 AM

There has always been businesses starting up and closing Barry *-) .............

I don't doubt for one moment that Brexit has been useful for big business....... as something to blame their planned cost cutting on >:-) ......

How many since Brexit have come to UK? You only managed to find one employing just 40 folk. It's been a one way exodus of companies upping sticks and leaving UK to relocate where they can trade easily in the EU market. The reason Dyson is building his electric car in Singapore and not UK is down to fta's with the EU.

747 - 2019-01-22 12:44 PM

I suppose the German workforce were a bit miffed when Volkswagen moved a lot of manufacturing to Eastern Europe (with cheap labour) and also took over the Skoda brand.

That's how you run a Business. Manufacture spare parts cheaply and sell them at eye watering prices (not much profit in selling vehicles).

VW's Wolfsburg plant is the worlds largest car production factory with 21,000 employees so i don't see they have much to be "miffed" about.

RE; Philips.

Bib....nothing according to the forums resident tax dodging ex-pelmet maker. *-)

Bulletguy - 2019-01-22 5:17 PM

RE; Philips.

Bib....nothing according to the forums resident tax dodging ex-pelmet maker. *-)

"tax dodging" ... What is that ???

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2019-01-22 12:34 PM

pelmetman - 2019-01-22 12:09 PM

So...that would be the Slovakia that is within the EU then?...

(also.. I refer you to the last but one line of my previous post).

Which bit of "Low wage economy" are you struggling to understand? ;-) .........and don't forget as a Accession country Slovakia is allowed to give JLR a bung to move there under EU rules *-) ........

Where as we are not allowed to bribe businesses to move here or to stay under EU rules :-| ...........

The UK taxpayer is just a supplier of dosh and businesses to fuel the expansionist wet dreams of Drunker & Co >:-) .........

Archived