Please help - I'm having a blonde moment!

J9withdogs

Have just finished loading up the 'van & it won't start - presume flat battery.

Found the battery charger (!) but

a) don't know which is main & which is leisure battery - they are side by side

b) can't tell which is pos & neg terminals - they aren't marked!

Am staying at a local rally, so time isnt an issue - but I don't want to blow the van up by getting it wrong! :-S

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest starspirit

Battery charger is unlikely to help unless it's a high output thingy and you give it several hours worth of charge.

You needs jump leads gal - not you personally - your mate Shirley.

Are you an AA or RAC member?

Engine battery usually has heavy leads for starter and leisure battery usually has thinner leads at least one of which would normally be red for positive.

Failing that there is usually a + or - embossed into the battery somewhere near each terminal.

The earth or negative should run from the battery to an earth point somewhere on the chassis or engine and the other heavy lead should run down to the starter motor

Who said I'm a useless git?

Cheers Rich!

Have located all me bits, ta. & have got till 3pm this afternoon before I go to sunny Stourport.

Can't jump it 'cus, silly me, I parked it nose in to a wall.

Unless I can jump it from the leisure battery??

ps I think you're wonderful, despite what I've been told!!

Guest starspirit

I am not sure but I think jump starting from the leisure battery without first disconnecting it from the leisure circuits might do some harm - I don't know but I would not want to try it unless it was a dire emergency?

Others on here will know better than I.

The only other way is to get a spare battery - or remove the car battery - so that it is close enough to reach with leads.

I have a good spare battery in the garage which you are welcome to borrow - he he!

If you got a decent spare from a scrap yard, or a motor factor or Halfords it would always keep in the garage, with the occasional charge to top it up, for just such a situation and you could even take it with you as a spare until you find out why your main battery has gawn off and sorted the problem.

It's usually the battery dying and bitter experience suggests that the best cure is usually a new one.

Have a good weekend

Guest starspirit
J9withdogs - 2007-04-05 11:01 AM

Nah Howie - Rich's is easy!

Waddya mean easy? Don't you mean simple?

That's got 'em guessing ain't it?

starspirit - 2007-04-05 11:07 AM

J9withdogs - 2007-04-05 11:01 AM

Nah Howie - Rich's is easy!

Waddya mean easy? Don't you mean simple?

That's got 'em guessing ain't it?

Better mention your pension and "rug" before this go,s any further Richard. Pointless building up Janines hopes only to find she,s dealing with a duffer. You do the talking, but to save any embarrassment leave the physical side of things to me.

Guest starspirit

That sounds fair Howie after all I wouldn't want to put any strain on my old ticker now would I.

I understand that J9 is a bit unusual in her taste for men so you should be OK as long as you keep your hat on.

I know all along that she prefers Rosie's company to mine and as your lovely visage more closely resembles me dawg's than mine it all points to you being the one.

Guest starspirit

I take that as a compliment Janine - thanks.

Now go and get yer flippin battery like a good girl and leave the man stuff to Howie.

Time to confess Richard. Thats not really me in the picture but a snap of the wife taken last summer. Smashing girl, but never blessed in the looks department, but it must be true that opposites attract then.

As for saying Janines taste in men is "a bit unusual", then you are still in with a chance, but obviously we are dealing with a charming and sophisticated young lady here, and to save time and possible disappointment, all of her future correspondence should be sent direct to me.

J9withdogs - 2007-04-05 12:18 PM

Nice try Howie - but I don't think your wife would agree!

Have a great weekend everyone - wherever you edn up!

And to you Janine wherever you "edn" up as well.

Please note that certain standards are expected re. grammer and spelling, and it would be appreciated if more care is taken in the future. ;-)

Guest starspirit
howie - 2007-04-05 12:10 PM

but obviously we are dealing with a charming and sophisticated young lady here

Yes Howie of course we are?

Tony Jones - 2007-04-05 1:29 PM

howie - 2007-04-05 12:24 PM

Please note that certain standards are expected re. grammer and spelling, and it would be appreciated if more care is taken in the future. ;-)

Would that be GRAMMAR, Howie?

Thank you for highlighting my mistakes Tony and another romance nipped in the bud. I don,t think it would have worked anyway as reading between the lines J9s financial standing falls short of what I had in mind. One up to the poet of Pembroke i,m afraid.

Archived