Plums!

Mel B

Okay, I've got a load of plums sitting in the freezer, I need to clear them out so I can get some grub in for Christmas so am thinking of making some sort of jam, chuckney, or sauce - either as an accompaniment or more like a Chinese stir-fry sauce. Or any other foodie thing you can think of to do with plums!

Anyone got any ideas and if so any recipes? I'm gonna attack them tomorrow when they've defrosted! >:-)

Why am I not as amazed as I should be that nearly all these suggestions involve alcohol?

But they all seem to involve ADDING alcohol - which costs money. Isn't there some way of turning the plums INTO alcohol (even if that qualifies for Rupert's "stinginess" thread)?

After all, every civilisation on the planet, throughout history, seems to have found SOME way of distilling, fermenting or brewing one or more of its local plants. Plums can't be the one fruit you can't drink, can they?

Tony (hic!) 8-)

Mel

Here is a good versatile one for involving no alcohol, make a plum and ginger chutney, where as I us white wine in this you can do it with water or grape juice, add stock syrup lots of ginger cinnamon nut meg reduce down, before it becomes too thick it can be used in many ways, is great with, duck, turkey, chicken or pork, as a hot sauce, if you reduce it down more you get a chutney, which when cold is great with a buffet, or even mixed with greek yogurt makes a great dipping pot, or topping for crumble or pie, hope these help

J.

Mel - are they "Blaisdon" plums?

If so, they are the best; they are brill, and totally yummy, and you owe me a huge debt of gratitude (or at least a jar of whatever you make with 'em)

'Cos the Blaisdon plum variety was developed/bred/invented (or whatever plum breeders call it) by my great great grandfather on my fathers side, in Blaisdon, Gloucestershire.

Oh, the fame of it all...... B-)

Not a clue what type of plum they are Bruce I'm afraid, they just grow on the tree in my garden!

I've made a plum and apple relish which should go nicely with pork and even turkey, and a Chinese plum and chilli sauce - took ages but got there in the end. I'll leave the relish to 'sit' for a few days and then see what it's like ... hopefully I won't poison myself! I've still got another bag of plums in the freezer so might have a go at your chutney next time Jacqui as it sounds very nice ... and it doesn't involve alcohol! :D

Archived