Polarised Politicians

StuartO

One lot seem to be saying that No Deal Brexit will be catastrophic and the other lot say it will be a real opportunity for the Country - and clearly they can't both be right.

Neither set seem to me to have provided clear and convincing evidence and arguments to support their view; we are simply faced with two conflicting statements of opinion. Nor does there seem to be much scope for thinking the answer lies somewhere in between. Except perhaps that if the EU are so keen to keep us, presumably they would let us back pretty smartly in if we asked, so why not give Brexit a try, now that we've got this far? It's not obvious to me that no deal Brexit will be irrecoverably bad and we do need to bring this situation to conclusion somehow.

I originally voted Remain, but only because I saw no urgency to leave the EU then - but there was a Referendum and the result (admittedly only by a close majority) was to Leave, and I'm now (increasingly) inclined towards Brexit - and without further delay. I wasn't a fan of Boris but he does now seem to have a clear plan and he's certainly making all the right noises to make the EU get off their high horse and talk turkey sooner or later, so more power to his elbow, say I. We can always get rid of him later, if Brexit doesn't work out and it's not as if there is a credible alternative PM sitting in the wings at the moment.

No deal would be catastrophic for business, the economy and ourselves and quite why it's even up for discussion is beyond me......after all there was never a mandate for 'no deal' despite how Brexiters now want to spin it. It will totally wipe out some industries. Last week when Johnson was in Wales he was told it would be the end of their farming. He responded by saying there were "plans in place to help farming" but when asked for detail of these "plans"......couldn't give any. This is a common trait with Johnson who is bluffing his way through. So if you know of Johnsons "plans"....a lot of Welsh farmers would like to hear from you as Johnson couldn't tell them.

If we sought to rejoin at any time in the future it most certainly would not be on the terms we currently enjoy. Exemption from Schengen and opt-outs from the euro would be off the table for starters and UK would not be able to cherry pick as it's done in the past....imo something which has always reflected very badly on us. There are nine other net contributors besides UK so we need get over ourselves with our arrogant attitude.

Brexiters wanted to "take back control", a soundbite we still hear being parroted today, yet not only do they want to hand it all over to one country, but a country whose leader chants "America First". So what does that tell you? Ah well.....blue passports eh? What a success. *-)

Well, as I said, polarised opinions based on over-confident and sometimes wild predictions rather than evidence and rational argument. And the proponents all thing they are absolutely right and the other side is absolutely wrong.

StuartO - 2019-08-09 6:00 PM

Well, as I said, polarised opinions based on over-confident and sometimes wild predictions rather than evidence and rational argument. And the proponents all thing they are absolutely right and the other side is absolutely wrong.

No one more polarised than Chatterbox numero uno hater death dealer Bullet ... You only need look at his lengthy list of Boris Johnson hate threads , a theme he carries on here on this thread one has noticed ... Hate Not Hope

Im inclined to think it has to happen now if only to teach those advocating it a lesson. They have not heeded the warnings, not enough people have changed their minds and most are just ignorant to facts and the damage it will do. I still think there is a good chance Boris is bluffing though and will make it look like the remainers and parliament foiled his plans.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-08-10 9:43 AM

Im inclined to think it has to happen now if only to teach those advocating it a lesson. They have not heeded the warnings, not enough people have changed their minds and most are just ignorant to facts and the damage it will do. I still think there is a good chance Boris is bluffing though and will make it look like the remainers and parliament foiled his plans.

I don't need any lessons in how to get off a sinking ship Barry ;-) .........

Although you are giving a masterclass in straw clutching :D ...........

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 9:48 AM

If Borey is right about our PMs cunning Brexit plan then that would surely mean hes a "genius politician" just like he described one Dominic Grieves t'other day ... Still waiting for some examples of his political genius actually ... Maybe Borey has been busy

Oh I think you do Dave. I don't consider myself a genius but I'm not thick either. How could people be so divided on this? Despite three years of overwhelming evidence that Brexit is a bad thing people like you still believe in it. No questions, ifs or buts just total belief. One of us is stark raving bonkers clearly. Maybe it's me. One of us is certainly wrong. I guess we will find out by the end of the year unless my theory on Boris turns out to be true. I can't decide either way now whether I want it to be true or not. Bet you will be biting your nails all the way to October 31st though. (lol)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/09/no-deal-brexit-negotiations-brussels?CMP=share_btn_link

reading this will give both leavers and remainers some objective clarity about what the new UK is likely to be like be like after our departure

HarveyHeaven - 2019-08-10 12:27 PM

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/aug/09/no-deal-brexit-negotiations-brussels?CMP=share_btn_link

reading this will give both leavers and remainers some objective clarity about what the new UK is likely to be like be like after our departure

The Guardian article you link to is merely another example of partisan opinions and predictions, even if it does try to appear to criticise both camsps. For example "Johnson will be allowed to commit his act of national arson {partisan opinion, unsupported] because the opposition couldn’t agree on a hose. [unsubstantiated prediction]"

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-08-10 11:34 AM

Oh I think you do Dave. I don't consider myself a genius but I'm not thick either. How could people be so divided on this? Despite three years of overwhelming evidence that Brexit is a bad thing people like you still believe in it. No questions, ifs or buts just total belief. One of us is stark raving bonkers clearly. Maybe it's me. One of us is certainly wrong. I guess we will find out by the end of the year unless my theory on Boris turns out to be true. I can't decide either way now whether I want it to be true or not. Bet you will be biting your nails all the way to October 31st though. (lol)

Remoaner scaremongering IS NOT overwhelming evidence *-) ..........

I'll tell you what is actual evidence ;-) .........

860,000 job loses............... that didn't happen.......

6% drop in gdp................... that didn't happen.......

Emergency budget............. that didn't happen.......

An immediate recession......that didn't happen.......

Your only hope is convincing folk that the approaching GLOBAL downturn is the fault of Brexit *-) ........

Evidently most of the country isn't that dense if the polls are to be believed B-) ........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1164117/general-election-poll-how-vote-snap-election-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-jeremy-corbyn

pelmetman - 2019-08-10 3:49 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-08-10 11:34 AM

Remoaner scaremongering IS NOT overwhelming evidence *-) ..........

I'll tell you what is actual evidence ;-) .........

860,000 job loses............... that didn't happen.......

6% drop in gdp................... that didn't happen.......

Emergency budget............. that didn't happen.......

An immediate recession......that didn't happen.......

Your only hope is convincing folk that the approaching GLOBAL downturn is the fault of Brexit *-) ........

Evidently most of the country isn't that dense if the polls are to be believed B-) ........

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1164117/general-election-poll-how-vote-snap-election-boris-johnson-no-deal-brexit-jeremy-corbyn

Its just going round in circles though Dave. As has been discussed a thousand times the worst of that was avoided by a global upturn around the time of the referendum. Notice your still staking your claim of a pending global downturn just in time for Brexit huh.

Whats happened since the referendum is still pretty bad. Businesses leaving or closing the doors, how many billions wiped of the economy? £66bn last time I looked. Not exactly looking rosy is it? Hows the exchange rate today?

Archived