Police Dogs die in parked car

Rapido-lass

I have just been told and looked up on the BBC news website about ' Two police dogs have died in a hot vehicle parked outside the headquarters of Nottinghamshire Police'. Sorry but I don't know how to put a link on here.

I was so appauled and saddened to hear this news - it has made my blood boil, and I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but there is no excuse for this happening. An owner is responsible for the dogs and should be punished for this cruel crime against the dogs. A Police dog handler will have been trained in the duty of care of their dog they are in full and total charge of. Apparently the dogs were completely shut in the car with no ventilation - a no no for starters by any means of common sense.

I have been told by a friend who has listened to the Radio 2 talk in covering this incident, and a lady stated, that as police dogs are deemed to be doing what is classed as a human job, then a sentance of manslaughter is in order.

We haven't heard all sides to this story yet as an investigation is ongoing. But no way should those dogs been put in that situation. I just hope that there is no cover up as all this would do is send out a statement, and set yet another precident, that the Police are above the Law.

No doubt this will be one of many incidents of dogs left in cars, and dogs being left in the garden to dehydrate and get sun stroke that we will be hearing of with the glorious hot sunny weather we are now enjoying.

This whole situation is one that could have been avoided, and it's the dogs that have had to pay the price. RIP dogs.

Guest Tracker
Rapido-lass - 2009-07-02 4:38 PM

How do you actually attach a link?

Highlight the full website page address in the title bar by hovering the mouse over it and and clicking the left mouse button.

Then whilst still hovering over the highlighted area click the right button and then select and left click on 'copy'.

This stores the highlighted area in the clipboard.

When you want to unload the clipboard contents into the posting on here (or anywhere else like an email or word document) simply right click the mouse where you want to enter the details and left click on 'paste' to insert it.

Eh voila - simples!

Guest Tracker

Highlight the full website page address in the title bar by hovering the mouse over it and and clicking the left mouse button.

Then whilst still hovering over the highlighted area click the right button and then select and left click on 'copy'.

When you want to unload the clipboard contents into the posting on here (or anywhere else like an email or word document) simply right click the mouse where you want to enter the details and left click on 'paste' to insert it.

Eh voila - simples!

Guest Tracker

Eh voila - simples!

TAKING CARE NOT TO PRESS THE SUBMIT BUTTON TWICE!

RSPCA were immediately called to the scene and are conducting an independent investigation. The Officer in question is to be interviewed next Thursday by the RSPCA. Once the RSPCA have completed their investigation their report will be forwarded to the authorities. If the Officer is found guilty he may be sent to prison.

Police Dog Handlers are usually exceptionally protective of their dogs, treating them like their own children and a strong bond is formed which is why they can interact so well in high volatile situations. That is why I find this so tragic and certainly interested in hearing why he would have left his animals inside the van when the kennels were so close.

Hi,

I suggest that police dogs should be carried in purpose built vehicles. I visualise a small pickup carrying a well insulated kennel fitted with air-conditioning. When time to replace the vehicle, there wilk be no need to replace the kennel, just move it to the new truck.

Somebody at TELECOM had a similar idea. Sherpa chassis-cabs fitted with de-mountable (by fork truck) workshops.

Question. Would this idea lead to the development of small economic AC units that could be fitted to campervans, caravans, etc. Run 24/7 without disturbing the neighbours? :-D

such a very sad thing to happen, I would expect Police Dogs to have the best of everything especially travelling accommodation.

I would also have thought that the Dog Handler would have had more oil in his lamp, everyone knows not to leave dogs, animals and especially children in cars in this heat.

W3526602 - 2009-07-03 6:32 AM

Hi,

I suggest that police dogs should be carried in purpose built vehicles. I visualise a small pickup carrying a well insulated kennel fitted with air-conditioning. When time to replace the vehicle, there wilk be no need to replace the kennel, just move it to the new truck.

I have not seen or heard anything that suggests that the animals were not in purpose built dog transportation vehicles. All police forces have such vehicles, with air conditioning. However, the air conditioning only works when the vehicle is in motion and from what I understand this vehicle was parked in the Force HQ, assumably with the engine turned of.

Big Momma - 2009-07-03 2:19 PM

W3526602 - 2009-07-03 6:32 AM

Hi,

I have not seen or heard anything that suggests that the animals were not in purpose built dog transportation vehicles. All police forces have such vehicles, with air conditioning. However, the air conditioning only works when the vehicle is in motion and from what I understand this vehicle was parked in the Force HQ, assumably with the engine turned of.

The officer was 'off duty' and the dogs were found in a private vehicle parked outside the Nottinghamshire Police Head Quarters.

Guest Tracker

Most Police dog handlers think the world of their animals and I would imagine that the Police Officer responsible is feeling quite bad enough about himself without the threat of prison or any other disciplinary actions.

Far better that an open enquiry is held and without looking for a scapegoat to blame look instead for the reasons why - and more importantly ways to prevent it from ever happening again.

What would be the point of further punishing a fully trained Police dog handler just to keep the witch hunters happy?

Or am I just a great big softy?

Hi Tracker,

I sort of agree. It is done and cannot be undone. It wasn't deliberate, might not even have been stupid. What will a witch-hunt produce? An expensively trained copper leaving the job. All else being equal, of course.

But ... but ... I would be annoyed if he got away with it simply because he is a copper. If the police force uses its discretion not to prosecute, I would like to think that others of us will benefit from the same discretion. IE....we zaped you doing 40 in a 30 limit, don't do it again this week.

The most important thing is that lessons are learned, and something is done to ensure it CANNOT happen again.

I'm puzzled why TWO dogs were in a CIVILIAN car.

Rapido-lass - 2009-07-03 2:41 PM

The officer was 'off duty' and the dogs were found in a private vehicle parked outside the Nottinghamshire Police Head Quarters.

Not sure if this is a case of conflicting reports as I had heard that the Officer was 'On Duty'. However, on the grand scale of things that point is irrelevant. Although rare for Police Dog Handlers to transport their dogs in their private vehicles it is not unheard of. Police dogs are used for all sorts of work and drug dogs are treated more like family pets and do get taken home, but it would be unusual for the likes of German Shepherds to be treated in the same way.

The other questions would be why was the Officer at Force Headquarters ? Was he on his way somewhere else and get called in, I know from experience that this often happens.

I do not want to sound to defensive of the Officer in this case but I have worked with a lot of Police dog handlers and they really do care for their animals as if they were their children, and believe it or not, sometimes better.

I for one will reserve judgement until the facts have been established, if he was negligent then he needs to be disciplined, if it was a tragic but preventable accident then procedures need to be put in place to prevent this from happening again.

Archived