Polish M.Ps

chas

Now that most of Europe is jumping on the E,U, gravy train, would it not be possible for the U.K to have Polish M.Ps, think about it, they would do the job at a fraction of the cost these clowns who rule us do. They would go to their workplace on public transport, and make their homes in cheaper accommodation outside London.

From what I see, they are hardworking people, who want to succeed in life, think of the millions of pounds of tax payers money saved. I commend this proposal to the forum.

>:-) chas

Vixters other half - 2006-12-19 3:06 PM For one mad brief moment, I had a mental picture of all 650 members of the lower house, all lined up and being sprayed with Johnsons Pledge!! Definitely a senior moment! VoH

I can think of somthing better than pledge & it comes off a farm.  ilmuo.

ROND - 2006-12-19 3:47 PM

Better still make the lot redundant and put the little bit of work they do out to tender or pass it onto the civil servants who already do 98% of it, what a saving to the country.

The problem with that is the Civil Servants rule the roost anyway, it's their information the MP's are acting on. So should we reverse the situation and get rid of all the polical advising Civil Servants. At least then the MP#s would have to listen to the population to get the information for their decision making.

Flicka

Tricky one, that.  Before Thatcher, the Civil Service was almost totally politically neutral.  Blair has learned a lot of bad tricks from his predecessor (Yes, I know, but you can't really be serious, can you?  That Spitting Image puppet with the Y-fronts really does rule him out of contention, poor chap).  Bringing in political advisors, who should really be on a party's payroll, and putting them into the Civil Service to pay their salaries should be stopped.  But who is going to stop it?  They even want us to fund their parties as well now, just not the advisors.

As to the Civil Servants running things, didn't see much evidence of that over Iraq.  Seems most of them said no, and Tony and cronies (AKA the Government) just said yes George, of course George, anything you say George.  Look where that got us!

Question is, can we get a better system? 

• 2 months later...

All good points Brian.

One thing I have always wanted was for the UK parliament to scrap the Whip system. How bizarre in a so called one man/woman - one vote democracy that the majority party then has a system to make all those voted in vote just one way???

I say ban the Whips - introduce free voting on all matters.

Then you would have to see the party leaders rule by logic and debate, not the current huge stick or whip.

Guest Frank Wilkinson
CliveH - 2007-03-13 8:33 AM All good points Brian. One thing I have always wanted was for the UK parliament to scrap the Whip system. How bizarre in a so called one man/woman - one vote democracy that the majority party then has a system to make all those voted in vote just one way??? I say ban the Whips - introduce free voting on all matters. Then you would have to see the party leaders rule by logic and debate, not the current huge stick or whip.

There is nothing bizarre about it at all. The only logic for allowing such a system as you propose would be if the MPs in question had stood as independents. If an MP has been elected as a member of a political party and has used that party's machine and influence with the voters and has campaigned on its manifesto and overall ethos, then why is it wrong for the party to then expect him to go along with its majority decisions?

Any MP who has been elected as a member of a political party and then finds that he cannot support the party's programme should do the honourable thing and resign.

There would then be a by-election at which he could put his actions to the test of his constituents.

Slightly off thread, unless we ARE talking about "polishing-up" our MP's ...

Long ago, when the world was young & I was at school, we had a "mock election" in which I stood as an Independent. My "big idea" was that all political parties should be abolished, MP's should be elected as individuals & the MP's should then elect the PM, who would choose his/her other ministers. That way, the PM would have to KEEP the confidence of MP's, and would have to convince them of his/her ideas, rather then being able to rely on their support no matter what.

Ah, the naivety of youth! It would never work, because of course it wouldn't be long before we had parties again, albeit unofficially or even underground. But I'd definitely favour some kind of "proportional" representation, for the very reason most of our politicians are against it - that there'd be no "overall majority," so whoever was in power would have to convince SOME MP's who didn't belong to their party that each specific proposal was a good one. And the people we elect directly - the MP's - would have the power again.

For this to work, the form of PR used would still have to involve MP's representing specific constituencies - maybe the "single transferable vote," where if your first choice candidate comes last your vote is transferred to your 2nd choice rather than being wasted as at present. The "pure" kind of PR, which simply allocates seats in Parliament to parties in proportion to the national vote would just give MORE power to the party machines & leaders.

My dad said when I was about 4 that I'd either be a politician or a preacher.

Tony

Ralph - 2007-03-14 8:28 AM

Why not get rid of Parliament all together and let the MPs stay at home and debate online? Then we could all chip in, just like here. :-S

I bet they would still need their private secretaries to do that for them, most appear to be hopeless or decrepid, (or both) except for being able to fill in their expense claims.

Flicka

I still say that the Whip system has no place in a true democracy. It simply turns the individual elected officials into one voting block. If it is one man one vote at the starting grid – how come that is all thrown away at the point of decision making?

So why bother voting for a party at all if you have local issues because the party line will be taken whatever.

Still - Polish MP's seems a good idea - they could bring back the Pole Tax!

I think getting Poland to pay my rates is an excellent idea.

Lets role that out so the Czechs pay my Income tax and the Bulgarians can have the CGT.

Who could we get to pay the IHT though??? :-)

Guest starspirit

Still - Polish MP's seems a good idea - they could bring back the Pole Tax!

I think getting Poland to pay my rates is an excellent idea.

Lets role that out so the Czechs pay my Income tax and the Bulgarians can have the CGT.

Who could we get to pay the IHT though??? :-)

And make Pole dancing an official state benefit I suppose?

Would the Czechs pay in cash or by - cheque?

Perhaps IHT could be paid as Icelandic geothermal Heat Tax?

Who should pay Bulgarian tax as only obese people Bulge?

Archived