Pork Pies

Wingpete

Never tried it - but I've had deep-fried Camembert as a starter. That really DOES go soft in the middle!

Are we going back to the "Recipes for Motorhomes" thread with this? - hope not, 'cos I don't usually take the deep-fryer away with me. I'll need to find cupboard space for it.

Tony

Thanks Mel. Now I know what went wrong. Did not batter them first. Just dunked them in a deep fryer full of melted lard.

The crust turned a real dark brown, but the inside just slid out in a gooy mess when cut open.

Now going to do one in batter for breakfast.

Might go down well with me pint of Hobgoblin

if you want a proper pork pie [or any pie!], try Petch's butchers in Great Ayton, worth a detour, then stroll along the high street till you fall over a lot of bikes then go in the shop for an ice cream for afters!!

Must admit that Petch's are good but the best pork pie - on Teesside or anywhere else - has to be Goodswen's on Redcar High Street. They are made from diced pork not minced pork.

If you want ice cream you can partake of Pacitto's famous Lemon Tops just a bit further along the High Street - or on the seafront if you go to the other end of the shop.

If that's not enough, there's also plenty of room to park your MH at Majuba Road car park.

Graham

Graham - not been to Redcar for years - got as far as Saltburn once but the prevailing northerlies put us off stopping until we got well past seal sands [you're not called smoggies for nothing]

Had a part of my misspent youth at the Top Deck tho., didn't notice the smell so much - probably down to the Carlsberg Specials :-S

Michelle Haven't been to the hoppin's for years either.

But do like the Crusty Pie Man who hangs out at the shows - does a good breakfast pie, bhaji, and pork scratchings.

[wish I could find someone who still did proper duck and pease pudding]

B-)

twooks - 2007-02-24 12:21 PM

Graham - not been to Redcar for years - got as far as Saltburn once but the prevailing northerlies put us off stopping until we got well past seal sands [you're not called smoggies for nothing]

Had a part of my misspent youth at the Top Deck tho., didn't notice the smell so much - probably down to the Carlsberg Specials :-S

Smoggie? Me? I'm a good Derbyshire lad just forced to live here by economic circumstances and the fact that I married a local girl :-)

Smoggies are those people still deluded enough to think that spending their money to enrich football players is better than spending it buying a MH - they obviously have more cash then I do :-)

I've never actually been to the Top Deck, much to racy for me :-)

Graham

michele - 2007-02-25 12:30 PM

You dont reheat PORK.

Yeh, but it's alright to reheat poTk (lol)

Funny that you mentioned Royston Vasey on another thread. I was behind him in the pie queue at Morrisons on Teesside Park a couple of weeks ago. Don't think he bought any pork ones - or even potk (lol)

Graham

Archived