Potential Motor Home buyer

jonimac

Very grateful to all for your comments. I think the 'no pockets in shrouds ' one hit the mark. I must be serious about this because we plan to go to the show at the NEC in October. Just wait, I'll pester you even more then for advice. Which is the best one to start with? Where are the best sites to stay? I've only just started. (lol)

Hi John

Best of luck - you'll need it. There's a lot of things to consider so get started on your lists - 'must have', 'would really like', 'could do without if we have to', 'definitely don't want' etc.

Chat to other people at the show and anywhere else you can find them - we are a very friendly lot and you will only have to say "Hello" to get them chatting about the pro's and con's of every aspect under the sun. Stopping them might be more of a problem, but that's nice isn't it.

The best van for you is the one that suits you best. Not a trite statement, and one that only you can answer, so look at as many vans as you can (notepad in hand - nobody will take the Mick as we all do it) and get as many comments and opinions as you can from more experienced users.

Then mull it all over and make up your own mind, based fundamentally on the lists I mentioned earlier.

Most of all, enjoy the process.

Regards

Dave

Thanks eversomuch Dave. You are quite right about friendly folk. I'm warming to the task already and will definitely use your advice, especially at the NEC. We may even make a trip to York in September. Having a pad in my hand with some pre-prepared questions is a good one. Actually can't wait to go now.

Once again, many thanks.

John

John

Like the other comments, we'll be at the York show on the sunday- in the day visitors car park. If you see anyone in their vans, then approach them to ask some questions. We are a friendly bunch really and after all - we've all been beginners ourselves.

So any advice comes from hard learned lessons and it will be straight talk,as we are not selling any vans, just selling " our enjoyment/hobbies" to others.

Thai

i definitely would not use a show to go look at vans (unless you know the one you want, and your going for the show discount). Drives me mental, with all the people waiting to get in them...........most are older tyre kicker types, who take for ever.

Best bet is to go to a large motorhome showroom with a good selection of second hand ones as well. Spend a few hours going in them all. You soon see what you like and dont like.......and without the crowds

Thanks Thai. I agree with your comments. I was at Barrons and got more information from an owner who just happened to be looking at the same vehicle as us. He told us that it took him 3 years to make his mind up. I don't intend to wait that long. Regards.

Thanks handyman. I've visited some large sites already and we've got a good idea of the layout we like already (Barrons, Todds and Campbells all North West. I think the main benefit of going to the show would be to talk to owners about them. I know absolutely zilch about motorhomes or which are the best sites. I'm a total novice and am doing as much research as possible. Regards....

If you don't already - take the MMM magazine and read the print off the pages. It's surprising just how much knowledge can be gained by a bit of bedtime reading.

This forum is also a mine of information. There are some real experts posting here and there isn't a better place to take advantage of their wisdom. Scroll back down the threads and home in on the ones that interest you.

Apart from this, just smile at existing owners and gaze admiringly at their van. That will be enough to get most of them started, as we just love boring unsuspecting "novices" for hours on end - though we do sometimes have to pause briefly to take a breath!!!

Always console yourself that if daft old gits like me can do it, you will soon qualify as an old stager.

Best of luck

Dave

Thanks Dave. I've already read the ink off Sept MMM. Most interesting bit was at the back with all specs and prices listed by every manufacturer. I wish I had taken it with me to Barrons on Sunday were a Motorhome (Burstner) Delphin was on sale. The top line price shown was more than the mag price. I could have had some good sport with the salesman.

By the way, I promise I won't be bored. I'm learning a lot by reading what you and others are writing in this forum. Once again thanks Dave.

John

• 2 weeks later...

We have been considering a motorhome purchase this year and have virtually finalised our 'wish-list' for the layout.

As an 'extended test-drive', we have just returned from a superb holiday touring the SW of France with a rented motorhome supplied by Evolution Motorhomes, an English family run business, based close to Bergerac, using new Weinsberg vehicles.

Right from our initial enquiry they were extremely helpful and friendly, even to the point of meeting us in 'Arrivals' at Bordeaux Airport on a Sunday morning and introducing us to the vehicle and its fridge with wine, cheese etc already installed at no extra charge!!!.

The object of the holiday was to confirm as to whether we were on the 'right-track' with our impending motorhome purchase....the answer was a YES!.

Whilst we may not need the services of 'Evolution' in the near future, we would certainly advise friends wanting a good independant holiday and those intending purchasing a motorhome to check out their services.

Simply type 'evolution motorhomes' into Google.

Best of luck with your search.....

Guest Jen's Grumpy Git

Hi John

One thing to consider if you buy new is that as soon as you buy the van the immediate depreciation is the vat so a good quality low mileage of which there is a huge choice should be a consideration.

Another point worth mentioning is asking people what they don,t like in motorhomes, sometimes we feel that this is the way forward, a good example is the window blinds. Most of them have the fly screens, they work just fine but there are two different types of blinds, the flat sreen type and the pleated type, the former we find are an absolute pain, they can and do jump out of their tracks, so to get a van with pull up pleated blinds is a bonus.

Again we prefer a lounge seating area as opposed to a dinette, we find a dinette uncomfortable for evening use, the list is endless.

But it's good fun choosing. I wish you luck

Ta for the advice Tom. We finally settled on a CI carioca 694. One small step for man, one giant leap for jonimac. Really hope we take to it. Everyone has been positive and encouraging so far. Once again thanks Tom. By the way we pick it up on 26th Sept.

Regards....

Archived