Prehistoric find in North Devon

omidknight

Northam Burrows, lies at the edge of the Taw Torridge Estuary and is within an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. This Site of Special Scientific Interest is about 253 hectares of grassy coastal plain with salt marsh, sand dunes and grasslands.

While out walking in the Burrows recently we chanced upon this old pebble with some writing on. Naturally we are delighted with our find. Can anyone date this?

Guest Tracker
The British Museum or the Natural History Museum will be very interested and pleased to help as they did with us when we came home with an unidentified, at tjat time, blue whale vertibrae from the beach a few years back - it is nearly 2' high and 9" thick and the hole where the spinal cord ran is 6" in diameter - and they told us what it was very quickly.

Hi - just been back out to photograph the pebble which was very hard to find again as there are millions there and removing pebbles from the burrows is not permitted. The writing is in English and refers to historical characters of I think the stone age period. Will load photo as soon as I can get the resizer to work.

Where is the vertabrae now?

On your lounge wall?

A month ago we found a washed up dead Dolphin - contacted Exeter Biosciences and they sent someone out to snap it. Was a common Dolphin we were told.

Do you get much washed up treasures where you are?

Ria you were down this way?

your Mazda sports car - Do you have a large noisy chrome exhast on it and were you going round and round the seafront here about 2 months ago?

here it is - what do you think?

I'm surprised at you for falling or an obvious fake like that. They will laugh at you if you take it to the British Museum. You don't have to be an expert on the Stone Age to know that Barney is spelt with an 'e'.

Sheesh, some people are so gullible.

Guest Tracker
omidknight - 2008-12-16 11:40 AM

Where is the vertabrae now?

On your lounge wall?

Do you get much washed up treasures where you are?

I encased the vertibrae in polyester resin and it sits in the garden for the birds to decorate.

The only washed up thing Dot found in recent years is me!

I find lots of lost fishing tackle on low tides and I bring the line and hooks home to dispose of because it kills fish and birds.

Yesterday I found three lots of line, weights and hooks etc all with fish attached all stranded on the sand by the ebbing tide and all dying.

I was able to unhook all the fish which, although only small dogfish and of no use food wise, swam away well when placed back in the water.

I just wish they had had the decency to thank me for my kindness!

From Wikipedia -

Barney's interests included bowling, playing pool, poker, tinkering around in Fred's garage and playing golf, though there were episodes where Barney didn't know how to play golf. He, like Fred, was also a member of the Loyal Order of Water Buffalos lodge and its predecessor in earlier episodes, the Loyal Order of Dinosaurs. He is also a talented pianist and drummer. In the first episode of the original series he was an inventor of a hand-powered helicopter.

Come off it, does this sound like a man who can't spell his own name? How many illiterate people invent helicopters?

No, I'm sorry, you fell for a not very good fake.

Tracker - 2008-12-16 11:54 AM

I find lots of lost fishing tackle on low tides and I bring the line and hooks home to dispose of because it kills fish and birds.

Yesterday I found three lots of line, weights and hooks etc all with fish attached all stranded on the sand by the ebbing tide and all dying.

I was able to unhook all the fish which, although only small dogfish and of no use food wise, swam away well when placed back in the water.

I just wish they had had the decency to thank me for my kindness!

Jolly good show

We have removed some netting and twine from the beaches here amonst one bundle was a grappling hook type anchor. There is a lot of washed up stuff here.

Which leads me on to I think - outside Tesco the other day wss at least 8 Royal Marine Commando`s all peddling away like mad on exercise bikes to raise money for their injured comrades. All that energy - I wish I had the same and could use it to drag rubbish from the beach and still get donations from the general public.

ohgrandma - 2008-12-16 11:59 AM

No Rob, Sorry my exhaust is small and neat, I dont like to be too conspiculous or noisy, and yes I was in North Devon, Ria. *-)

Well it was the only Mazda we noticed and what seems quiet to you may be noisy to the rest of the population. The Mazda sports car had a Out & About Live sticker on so I bet it was you. I hope you washed your hands after using the public toilets here.

Archived