Pressure Problems

sylvneil

I have just been reading the May issue of MMM and saw the letter from John Avons re his experiences with his motorhome tyres. We had similar experiences with our 2004 Swift Suntor. We lost 4 out of the 5 Mitchelin camping car tyres on alloy wheels from a brand new van. The first locally which we put down to bad luck, the second a couple of weeks later whilst the van was stationary which we put down to vandals. A few months later on our return from Spain on the motorway around Barcelona the third blew, not an experience I wanted to repeat but that's exactly what happened the next day coming down off the Central Massif. On each ocassion the fault was with the valve, not the tyre.I have to say my faith in the Suntor was shattered along with my nerves so the van went, we changed it for a Hymer. We were not aware of any problem either via the dealer or Swift. Has this been a common problem?

Use the search facility above, enter the keywords tyre valves, select "Mororhome Matters" for where to search and set time to "all posts".  When the results come up, look down to the string titled Tyre valves.

I don't know if your circumstances were similar but, as you will see, it all gets a bit technical.  Since you've since sold the van, I guess it may be worth taking note and keeping in the back of your mind for future reference, but the problem is very unusual.  Yours seems to point to the possibility of the wrong valves, possibly even the wrong tyres and valves, having been fitted.  Question is, who fitted them?

I had a similar problem on my CRV. The fault was not the tyres (good-quality "Duellers") but the valves which had been fitted at the first replacement of the factory set. In fairly quick succession after about 18 months two valves developed a very slow leak from the shoulder near where each meets the wheel rim. Initially the fitter had found it difficult to find, eventually immersing a complete wheel in a tub of water which revealed an almost imperceptible chain of bubbles. He reckoned the valves' stem had been made of sub-standard materials which could not cope with normal flexing in use.

Fortunately I check pressures regularly so could see a pattern of deflation was emerging otherwise I would have been at risk of blow-outs on the soft tyres. I had all four valves replaced and had no problems since.

Bob

Tyre valves should always be replaced when changing a tyre or when removing and refitting a tyre after say a puncture repair.

The article in MMM mentions the three different types of valve that can be fitted and this subject was covered by a Swift Recall to ensure that the correct metal valves are fitted for high pressure tyres. The tyre retailer should advise on and fit the correct valve according to the pressure range of the tyre but it will also be advisable to give the pressures that one normally uses.

As Brian advises this subject has been covered on the forum at the references he gives. A shame that this should have been the cause of a loss of faith in the Suntor as the problem could apply to any van or vehicle fitted with incorrect or old valves.

Enjoy the Hymer.

Regards,

Mike.

Archived