Private plates

Wingpete

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I think that they are a harmless vanity but deplore those people who space them wrongly and illegally in a sad attempt to spell out some kind of name.

I know someone whose number is M50 0DW but he spaces it M500 DW and seems to get away with it.

If you can't have a proper one then you shouldn't bother at all!

Hi Peter, we are back to the freedom of the individual and do what you wanna do within the confines of the law and two fingers to those that that disagree. I have personal plates T999 FOX they were bought from DVLA for a reasonable price, by my other half for my birthday.

One thing it does do is stop the, and "what plate is your motorhome home on, 07 or 57" in otherwords keeping up with jones`s.

Go for it.

Each to there own, sometimes you see a plate and think it must be some one's intials, but makes no sence to anyone else, but couple allways stick in my mind, about 30+ years ago nabour had three 'BOB's and the model that had 5EXY.

What annoys me about registrations is when they change documents and you find you have lost right to use a number that was on old documents, I have three vehicles off road at moment that have 'lost' there number >:-(

Hi Peter, there are lots of vans around with private plates and it is a matter of choice no one is made to have them but personaly I like them like you we have ours matched to the car, which makes remembering the number easier at sites and easy to spot friends you may have made when out and about, our previous van was a lovley old Eriba Car number Plate JOY and last year in France people we had met on the Paris site we met up again in La-Rochelle and had a pleasant evening 3 weeks later and that has happened with differernt people quite a few times , as you can see the new van now has a plate of its own, so I say go for it.

imo - a waste of money - but, it's a free country [just] [still] [maybe] :->

Having said that some are really clever, but as Colin & Frank say, some are so convoluted as to look silly. I would say that if you have to really mess about and 'explain' then it isn't worth the effort.

There is/was a coach firm in Gisburn Yorks, one of their plates was G158URN, and our oil is delivered by a firm with all their lorries on OIL {NI} plates.

B-)

Guest peter
I agree with Foxy. As it stops all this my van's newer than yours crap. I've had one for years on my car, A11 PRK (my initials) someone pointed out to me that it can be mis-read to mean something rather boastful. :$ Go for it, it's your van and your money to do with as you wish. Were not in a totalitarian state yet, despite some of the responses on here occasionally that would indicate to the contrary.

Have to agree your money if it makes you happy good thats got to be worth it.

I personally am to old to worry about my street cred (dont jump on the bandwagon here you lot ) My feelings .. My next door neighbour what an Ass I hated him he became a black cabbie and changed his to what he thought read .TAXI it actually read TACKY . Then he was tacky with his rolex and poser designer clothes and stuff .... Obviously couldn't spell bit like me ....Ha Ha lmko

Decision made.

Foxy has a plate close to those I have and will be seeking.

I am into the 999 ones, for a reason to be explained another day B-)

In conjunction with my initials of course, apart from the year pre-fix. Then, as mentioned already, all I have to do is remember which one of the years rather than the whole number.

The DVLA has three or four to choose from curently, and at only £175 ( I think that was the figure) unlike the 999 one in the newpaper yesterday, £5770, 8-) worth going for.

Easier to recall than NY 52 ??? or HO 04 ??? that are on other fleet motors.

Might have the consecutive set. :$

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Wingpete - 2007-03-04 10:16 PM Decision made. Foxy has a plate close to those I have and will be seeking. I am into the 999 ones, for a reason to be explained another day B-) In conjunction with my initials of course, apart from the year pre-fix. Then, as mentioned already, all I have to do is remember which one of the years rather than the whole number. The DVLA has three or four to choose from curently, and at only £175 ( I think that was the figure) unlike the 999 one in the newpaper yesterday, £5770, 8-) worth going for. Easier to recall than NY 52 ??? or HO 04 ??? that are on other fleet motors. Might have the consecutive set. :$

Then you'll love mine. It's FW 9999 and was obviously the last FW number ever issued before they went on to 3 letters and 3 digits. I realise that you actually prefer three nines though and assume that you're in one of the emergency services?

I have the original log book for the first car that it was issued for, in August, 1937, so it's coming up to its 70th birthday!

It was first issued to a man in S****horpe and then a few owners in Sheffield as the car was sold a few times. The first person to buy it for its unique number was a Frank Wood in Harefield, Middlesex in 1967. He kept it for nearly twenty years and I've had it since then.

I enjoy the history of it and the log book is fascinating. It had to be stamped every year when you paid your road tax and it's interesting that the annual duty in 1937 was £12.10.00, which is probably a lot more than most people pay today in real terms.

When I preview this post I see that the stupid software has censored the name of a well known Lincolnshire town because four letters in the middle of it spell a very rude word! A bit hard on anyone who lives there and wishes to post his address!

Frank, That plate would be eminently suitable, if everyone knew, Aug '37 is when I was born, but that's our little secret B-)

And you are right on account of the 999's being favoured.

I was introduced to the fire fighting business in '56, and still involved in the fire safety field, passing on the experiences gained over those years to newly admitted associates in the profession.

That's why I have blue flashing lights and two tone horns on my m/home.

Don't half help get through traffic jams :->

Tried getting taxation exemption on m/home, as emergency vehicle, but they would not permitt that.

Well, trying to sleep whilst en route for from distant place is surely an emergency ;-)

Guest Frank Wilkinson
howie - 2007-03-05 12:20 PM Hope its not like mine Chopper with Doggie written on the side. I,ve got a spare set of private plates you can have. NO8ROT. Let me know if your interested and how much your prepared to pay.

When I were nobbut a lad as we say oop north, I had a new Alfa Romeo Alfetta - brilliant car! The registration number was PEN 20S.

I often wondered whether or not they issued the very first number in the sequence. I suspect not as, even then, they were on the lookout for dodgy implications.

Just as an aside to the thread, when we moved to France we brought with us our 1992 LandRover Discovery which was on a cherished plate bought for my Husbands Birthday. We paid £200 to the DVLA for this plate in 1990 to put on a previous vehicle. We then re-registered the vehicle in France and wrote to the DVLA to retain the plate for future use. This was their reply:-

Dear Mr Wilkinson,

VEHICLE REGISTRATION: H16 MAW

Thank you for your letter about the possible retention of the above registration mark.

I think it will help if I begin by explaining that vehicle registration marks are not private property. They are assigned by the Agency as a means of uniquely identifying vehicles for taxation and law enforcement purposes on behalf of the Secretary of State. They effectively remain his property. Normally a mark remains with a vehicle until it is scrapped or exported. However, given the interest in personalised registration marks, the Agency has provided facilities to allow motorists to transfer marks between vehicles and hold them on retention pending reassignment to another.

All rights to a registration mark, including the right to display it are vested in THE VEHICLE to which it is assigned, rather than the actual keeper of the vehicle.

The regulations governing the transfer or retention of a registration mark specify that the vehicle must be made available for inspection by a DVLA Local Office [LO]. You indicate in your letter that the Landrover Discovery TDI has been exported and re-registered in France. Given this, it will not be possible to place its number on a Retention Document [V778].

However, it may be possible to reclaim the Landrover's original registration number upon its return to GB provided documentary evidence to link the number to the vehicle is available.

(The letter finished there, not a yours truly or yours faithfully etc.) They did enclose a leaflet INF46 for more information.

So BE WARNED, private plates can be a bit of a minefield especially if you are paying thousands of pounds for them. By the way we were offered £500 by one of these private plate advertisers in the 2 years before we moved. I wish we had taken it now.

Hi,

We scrapped my dad's car complete with its number - CS3333 - but that was before they became fashionable.

The first interesting plate I saw was on Jag belonging to an RAF medical officer, in 1963...... 4SKN.... But perhaps it would have been more suited to a Rabi. Not all private plate are naff.

And I found VC400 on a car lying dead in Scotland. But as the car was a Lea Francis which raced at Le Mans in 1929, I guess the value of the plare was academic.

Just seen a gorgeous car and plate as I came out of the Brompton Hospital today.

It was JT 1, on a MAYBACH LIMO.

Driver could not find anywhere to park it, he went round the block twice, so I could see inside.

How much would that be worth ?

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Wingpete - 2007-03-05 5:28 PM Just seen a gorgeous car and plate as I came out of the Brompton Hospital today. It was JT 1, on a MAYBACH LIMO. Driver could not find anywhere to park it, he went round the block twice, so I could see inside. How much would that be worth ?

£300K plus. There's a short and a long wheelbase version would you believe!

Oh sorry. that's the car! JT 1 would go for anything up to £100K depending on how big this year's bonus is.

Archived