Prostate cancer

Barcobird

Good morning and a happy New Year to all !!

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer (pc) at the young age of 53 had brachyatherapy and was healthy for 9 years. 
About a year ago my psa started to climb and alarm bells were ringing. To cut a long story short pc  had come back but very small and I have just had surgery and now play the wait and see game again.

The purpose of this message is not for sympathy but awareness. PC is now the largest cancer among men in the UK. 

Today is the first of January and I am asking all of the men on this forum and any lady's your man too, to make a New Years pledge that you will have a PSA test done. This is a simple blood test and does not involve any eximanations whatsoever. Early diagnoses are nearly as good as a cure, giving you more options on treatment, if left your options are reduced and may lead to one conclusion.
Not a pleasant subject but if after reading this just one man has a positive test then this will of been well worth the read.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-01 2:37 PM

I wonder why GP's don't make the testing part of med reviews?

I think that if you don’t have symptoms, or concerns, then maybe they don’t encourage tests. I was dissuaded from having tests, which I inquired about on the basis of “ as I’m 70 now would it be a good idea?”

Maybe there are budget issues?

Snowie

snowie - 2019-01-01 4:00 PM

I think that if you don’t have symptoms, or concerns, then maybe they don’t encourage tests. I was dissuaded from having tests, which I inquired about on the basis of “ as I’m 70 now would it be a good idea?”

Snowie

I don't know Alan. A few years back mine sent me for numerous blood tests. I imagine it's not only budget issues they have problems with now but staffing too.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-01 4:56 PM
Bulletguy - 2019-01-01 2:37 PM I wonder why GP's don't make the testing part of med reviews?
I think that if you don’t have symptoms, or concerns, then maybe they don’t encourage tests. I was dissuaded from having tests, which I inquired about on the basis of “ as I’m 70 now would it be a good idea?”Maybe there are budget issues?Snowie
I don't know Alan. A few years back mine sent me for numerous blood tests. I imagine it's not only budget issues they have problems with now but staffing too.

I was 52 when I went to the doctor and in the end had to insist in having a PSA done. Asked why I wanted it I replied, "to make sure I don't have any problems and my Father has it". I was gobsmacked when I got the result, I didn't have a clue anything was wrong .
I  don't understand why the government  spend money advertising the fact you should have it done and then make it difficult to have it. The end of the day it's just a blood sample that tests the volume of protein generated from the prostate, hardly expensive.

As I said before early diagnosis gives more options and would be more cost effective for the NHS and a lot easier on the patient. 

Snowie

For once why dont you leave the sly , silly attempts at blaming Brexit/Tories for everything and leave the post as the OP intended which was just to give , good honest advice from someone who has unfortunately suffered at the hands of prostate cancer ... For Christ sake give it a rest ... Sorry to the OP

antony1969 - 2019-01-01 7:27

For once why dont you leave the sly , silly attempts at blaming Brexit/Tories for everything and leave the post as the OP intended which was just to give , good honest advice from someone who has unfortunately suffered at the hands of prostate cancer ... For Christ sake give it a rest ... Sorry to the OP

Sorry, but I didn’t see Brexit or Tories mentioned until you chose to mention both !

Read the OP’s comments and you will see reference to spending on advertising and reluctance to offer the test.

We all know that the NHS is strapped for cash, GPS are retiring and not being replaced, oh! And staffing at all levels is a serious issue.

Take the OP’s advice and don’t be easily put off. Some practices and individual GPS are less inclined to have tests done, some are more likely to send you for any test going.

But take the advice.

Snowie

snowie - 2019-01-01 8:14 PM

Sorry, but I didn’t see Brexit or Tories mentioned until you chose to mention both !

Read the OP’s comments and you will see reference to spending on advertising and reluctance to offer the test.

We all know that the NHS is strapped for cash, GPS are retiring and not being replaced, oh! And staffing at all levels is a serious issue.

Take the OP’s advice and don’t be easily put off. Some practices and individual GPS are less inclined to have tests done, some are more likely to send you for any test going.

But take the advice.

Snowie

Thats why I said sly Snowie ... Hes renowned for politicising even terrible events like Grenfell ... He mentions "budget" which of course would be to him a Tory issue and "staffing" which of course would be a Brexit issue ... Lets leave it at that and use the post for what the OP intended and that was good , sound health advice which doesnt need to be wrecked by pathetic point scoring

Barcobird - 2019-01-01 5:31 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-01 2:37 PM I wonder why GP's don't make the testing part of med reviews?
I think that if you don’t have symptoms, or concerns, then maybe they don’t encourage tests. I was dissuaded from having tests, which I inquired about on the basis of “ as I’m 70 now would it be a good idea?”Maybe there are budget issues?Snowie

I was 52 when I went to the doctor and in the end had to insist in having a PSA done. Asked why I wanted it I replied, "to make sure I don't have any problems and my Father has it". I was gobsmacked when I got the result, I didn't have a clue anything was wrong .

I don't understand why the government spend money advertising the fact you should have it done and then make it difficult to have it. The end of the day it's just a blood sample that tests the volume of protein generated from the prostate, hardly expensive.

As I said before early diagnosis gives more options and would be more cost effective for the NHS and a lot easier on the patient.

Yes it seems odd given the small amount running off a few thousand leaflets to distribute among practices would cost. My surgery is plastered with various notices, the latest being the flu jab reminder. I've got to see my GP next week so i'm tempted to ask her about what you've mentioned.

snowie - 2019-01-01 8:14 PM

But take the advice.

Snowie

He's just baiting Alan and found another thread to derail.

I do not think it is to do with cost. I manage to get one every time requested. My GP told my that it is a good first indicator of possible prostate problems but not 100% reliable. So even with a low PSA figure to come and see him if I have a change in my urinary patterns .

Brian B.

Snowie

Hi Snowie,

Have just had the same discussion at our GP surgery. Each year at M.O.T. time I have the normal 'full blood count' test as they call it, and honestly assumed that if checking my Liver/Kiidney and other functions I would surely be getting checked for the largest killer in men. It only came out during a routine meds. review I have to have that I found out the prostate wasn't part of the test. I immediately asked for a test and was duly sent for one. Seems it would be cheaper and smarter to include these tests in the one blood test. Even if it was added on at a small charge people should be given the option.

cheers

derek

Violet1956 - 2019-01-02 11:34 AMNHS policy regarding routine
 PSA tests is expained here.https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/prostate-cancer/psa-testing/Doesn't seem to be a resources issue, although the

So if you don’t have a PSA done how do you know you have a problem ??
The first step any doctor will take before any invasive tests or scans is a blood test to check the level of your psa.
Seems like a webpage to deter you from asking !!

Violet1956 - 2019-01-02 1:21 PMI'm just the messenger, didn't say I agreed. It appears to be a very controversial subject. If I were a bloke I would have the test. Having had three friends suffer from it I know how awful it can be.

My comment was against the NHS not you Violet :-)

NHS chief Simon Stevens will today thank Bill Turnbull and Stephen Fry for speaking out about their prostate cancer diagnosis and announce an injection of £10 million to increase capacity, helping services see and treat the extra people coming forward for help.The NHS is already seeing and treating more people than ever before and as more people have come forward for help, demand has increased, meaning some patients are experiencing longer waits.Latest figures show that from April to July 2018, 14,479 patients received treatment for a urological cancer – this is an increase of 3,929 (36%) compared to the same period in 2017.NHS England and NHS Improvement are already working with trusts to help them manage the additional demand and this £10m will form part of the support package – to be used to increase capacity  in areas where support is most needed, for example by extending clinic hours.Simon Stevens, chief executive of NHS England, said: “A debt of gratitude is owed to Bill Turnbull and Stephen Fry for the work they have done to urge men to seek medical advice if they think something isn’t right. The Turnbull and Fry effect could help save lives.“This additional investment will help ensure the NHS can manage this jump in demand, so that all people with suspected cancer are tested and treated quickly.”There were 70,000 visits to the NHS website advice page on prostate cancer in March, a 250% increase from the monthly average of around 20,000.The surge followed media coverage about the number of people dying as a result of prostate cancer overtaking deaths from breast cancer in February and came as Bill Turnbull and Stephen Fry revealed that they had the disease.Heather Blake, director of support influencing at Prostate Cancer UK said: “It is very encouraging that NHS England is injecting £10 million to deal with some of the most urgent capacity issues around prostate cancer diagnosis, and we welcome this investment. With improvements to prostate cancer diagnosis already underway, this funding can help start to increase MRI scanner capacity and the radiologist workforce.“Following the £75 million research investment for prostate cancer pledged by the Prime Minister earlier this year, today’s announcement again shows a positive commitment from decision makers to getting men the early and accurate diagnosis and treatments for prostate cancer that are needed to save lives. We look forward to seeing more detail outlined in the upcoming Budget and NHS England cancer strategy announcements later this Autumn. Most importantly, we would like to see these include the aim of getting to a screening programme, as this will have the biggest impact.”  

Barcobird - 2019-01-02 1:43 PM
Violet1956 - 2019-01-02 1:21 PMI'm just the messenger, didn't say I agreed. It appears to be a very controversial subject. If I were a bloke I would have the test. Having had three friends suffer from it I know how awful it can be.

My comment was against the NHS not you Violet :-)
My apologies if that came across a bit "sniffy".

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 10 years ago and am living with it on the basis of Active Surveillance (regular monitoring by means of PSA blood tests and digital examinations). My cancer was discovered accidentally as a result of looking for something else and I was totally unaware that anything was amiss, until I got the results of the PSA test.

PSA, stands for Prostate Specific Antigen and is an indicator of a possible problem, but it is not a 100% reliable indicator of the presence of cancer. The only way that an accurate diagnosis can be made is following a biopsy, when analysis of prostate tissue gives rise to a Gleeson Score (anything below 6 indicates no cancer, anything above means trouble).

The problem with a PSA result is that whilst it can be used to monitor the growth of a tumour, even quite a high reading does not mean the presence of cancer and neither does a low reading mean that you are clear. Nevertheless PSA is used to show that there might be a problem (but only a biopsy can settle the matter).

As Barcobird has pleaded, having a PSA test done could save you life, so don't delay, it's quick and easy (does not hurt) and can be repeated as often as your doctor recommends.

Guest pelmetman
spospe - 2019-01-02 3:56 PM

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer 10 years ago and am living with it on the basis of Active Surveillance (regular monitoring by means of PSA blood tests and digital examinations).

Based on my experience.........I think the digit tool would be more accurate 8-) ..........

Curiously I tend to look at the size of doctors fingers now days :-S .........

Archived