Psychology of forums

J9withdogs

After having read various threads on the forum recently, I am once again amazed at the difference between male and female posters.

I cannot recall any of the ladies having a spat on here, whereas the men.....

Is it a man-thing - a locking of horns, a defence of one's territory, or simply a case of 'my d**k's bigger than yours' ?

In case anyone needs some more training click on this LINK

Gosh Janine, where did you find that link? I have only read it very quickly but it seems to me that some of the "guys" found it before you and are practising the methods. Very interesting article and one I might keep, just in case I need it!

I have to say though that some of the posts are becoming more than tiresome as I enjoyed following the original thread and then it justs disintegrates into mud-slinging in a pretty derogatory fashion. I also think you are right that it is always the dominant males that do this. Having been the subject very occasionally of minor male criticism (although much more often of male help and support), I am glad to see that we ladies are more accomodating to other people's points of view than some of the recent contributors.

. Showboat

Once the argument is in full swing, publicly thank all those people who have e-mailed you privately with their messages of support. Claim that you are too busy to reply to each of them personally at the moment, but promise to continue fighting on their behalf.

5. You've got history

Boasting about how long you've been subscribed to a forum or newsgroup is not advised. Far better to make obscure references to the forum/newsgroup when only thirteen people knew it existed. Fondly recall a similar flame-war which took place in 1989 between "Big Al" and "Phyllis from Kent". If a newly arrived opponent produces a particularly strong argument, tell them that you've already discussed (and won) this debate last year and that you've no intention of repeating your crushing arguments all over again for their benefit.

6. There's lots of you

Always refer to yourself in the plural, as though you are speaking on behalf of the whole newsgroup: "all we are trying to say is..." sounds much more pompous than "all I am trying to say is...". When other people join in the thread, the rules are simple: if they side with you, follow-up immediately and enthusiastically, congratulating them on their courage; if they side with your opponent, ignore the (it's not nice to insult people)s.

7. One step ahead

Pre-empt all replies. Tell your opponent that you know exactly how he or she is going to respond to your message because you've seen it all before. List all potential counter-arguments to your position and invite your opponent to choose one.

8. Beer and arguments don't mix

Never, ever, rejoin a long-running argument after ten pints in the pub. Although the devastating logic of your drunken ramblings will seem inescapable to you at the time, your opponent will lap up the incoherent, inconsistent, beer-troubled flaws in your argument and you'll be unlikely to recover. If you've been involved in a particularly vehement argument where you've staked your reputation on the line, get a friend to lock away your PC on pub nights.

9. Bamboozle with links

If your opponent's tenacity is proving too much for you, try a Google counter-attack. This involves posting up an endless stream of vaguely related links, insisting that there's more than enough evidence contained in the 50+ linked sites to crush any counter argument. Ensure you keep the references vague and preferably link to pages that are stuffed full of even more links. If your enemy can't find the evidence they're demanding, blame them for their lack of research skills - after all, you've already provided them with ample resources.

10. I didn't say that!

Never apologise for anything, ever.

11. Play dirty

Think the argument isn't going your way? Simply post one long, highly antagonistic message in which you completely misrepresent everything your opponent has said in the last three weeks. End by martyrishly declaring that the argument has dragged on for too long and that you have no choice but to kill-file/ignore your opponent. Ignore any further messages and/or quietly re-register under a new name.

12. Victory is yours!

Won the argument? Congratulations - but remember to be utterly unbearable in victory. Make generous excuses for your opponent's behaviour ("I know you primary school technicians can be under a lot of stress", "the menopause can be a very difficult time", etc), but retain a calm tone of superiority ("the important thing is to learn from your mistakes"). State that you hope your opponent stays around and reassure him/her that other subscribers are sure to forget all about this sorry business in a couple of years.

ROTF Brill j9 I like No 6

Mud for me .....got musscles K 9 ? :D

Once the argument is in full swing, publicly thank all those people who have e-mailed you privately with their messages of support. :D :D :D

Thanks everyone she is a right mud slinger her still I know you all know that as you all said much the same in your e mails :D

nighty night its later here have to pick this up on Sunday :D :D

J9withdogs - 2008-11-19 9:39 PM

I was intrigued by the question as to why the blokes on here were so stroppy, and googled 'arguements on forums'

Unfortunately, I didn't actually find any answers and realised that if I did, they would probably have been written by men anyway. (lol)

To be fair to us men Janine, it's not ALL the men on here who are stroppy.

( There are currently 4897 registered users, and I am guessing that a lot of those are men).

But I do find those who are, so utterly boring.

And I do wish they wouldn't keep including everyone else by assuming we take sides, e.g. " we are ALL waiting for your reply " or " everyone can see what sort of person you are "

(No one on here speaks for me).

:-(

J9withdogs - 2008-11-19 9:10 PM

After having read various threads on the forum recently, I am once again amazed at the difference between male and female posters.

I cannot recall any of the ladies having a spat on here, whereas the men.....

Is it a man-thing - a locking of horns, a defence of one's territory, or simply a case of 'my d**k's bigger than yours' ?

In case anyone needs some more training click on this LINK

Janine, has it occurred to you that it could be your recent change of photo which is inflaming the passions of a proportion of the men on this forum and engendering a certain peacock-like strutting of their stuff? At my age I am immune to such charms, but others.................. ;-)

Bob

LordThornber - 2008-11-20 8:53 AM

I suspect there is an element of "Hunter Gatherer" syndrome.

You know where I'm coming from?

Man, out hunting with club, thumps wildebeast, takes it home for woman to cook. Other man challenges club man for his spoils, thump each other to the death.

Woman eats well :D

Sigmund

Ah, yes - but it could be said that they were the real men.

On the forum they just stay miles apart and call each other names,

by 'mail'

;-) ;-)

Archived