Pyjamas or housecoat

nightrider

Earlier on in the year I was looking through the Camping and Caravanning Clubs monthly magazine, some guy wrote up bemoaning the fact that in his view far too many women were walking to and fro from the showerblocks wearing pyjamas and or housecoats. It was his opinion that walking about like that lowered the tone of the club, so what do you think?

It doesn't bother me, I think it looks rather homely.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Tracker

You won't catch me leaving a warm, clean, quiet and dry motorhome for a shower in a grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block!

However, as for those who do choose to entertain us by so doing, who cares what they wear - we are on holiday for heavens sake - chill out a bit and relax and smile!

knight of the road - 2008-11-28 7:56 PM

Earlier on in the year I was looking through the Camping and Caravanning Clubs monthly magazine, some guy wrote up bemoaning the fact that in his view far too many women were walking to and fro from the showerblocks wearing pyjamas and or housecoats. It was his opinion that walking about like that lowered the tone of the club, so what do you think?

I think it was a rather sad comment, and very British.

Mind you, standards are dropping. Earlier this year I saw a camper walking his dog, and he wasn't wearing a tie. ( The man that is, not the dog ).

I just pretended not to notice.

;-)

malc d - 2008-11-28 9:48 PM

knight of the road - 2008-11-28 7:56 PM

I think it was a rather sad comment, and very British.

Mind you, standards are dropping. Earlier this year I saw a camper walking his dog, and he wasn't wearing a tie. ( The man that is, not the dog ).

I just pretended not to notice.

;-)

The man must be a cad and a bounder.

Tracker - 2008-11-28 8:50 PM

You won't catch me leaving a warm, clean, quiet and dry motorhome for a shower in a grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block!

However, as for those who do choose to entertain us by so doing, who cares what they wear - we are on holiday for heavens sake - chill out a bit and relax and smile!

I've never yet seen a "grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block" on a Caravan Club site, every one I've been to had a nice clean warm quiet dry shower and toilet block.

D.

davenewell@home - 2008-11-29 7:20 AM

Tracker - 2008-11-28 8:50 PM

I've never yet seen a "grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block" on a Caravan Club site, every one I've been to had a nice clean warm quiet dry shower and toilet block.

D.

I seem to recall that Tracker often tells us that he never uses sites, so I just wonder where he gets his insights from.

From his description it sounds like one or two sites that I stayed on back in the sixties, so maybe that's the last time he visited one.

:-|

Wouldn't do it myself I'm relaxed about anyone else. It's not a British eccentricity - I saw a number of French and Germans similarly attired last summer (is "summer" the right word for what it was ?). One elderly French chap was carrying a loo roll in each hand - not a roll carefully hidden out of site in a bag like a Brit would.

The CC site in Bearted has amazingly spotless loos by the way - I felt I should take a pair of slippers or something to change into at the door!

Bob

The person making the comment in the mag was probably the same one who, earlier in the year, was complaining about people whistling as they go about their business on site. Heaven forbid that you can get away from the daily stresses and strains and enjoy youself *-)

The only grubby toilet blocks I have come across were on private sites when I first started in the camping activity. I now only use the camping and Caravanning Club sites where all the facilities are superb.

The Oswestry camp site we were on in september was second to none, my own opinion is that an element of snobbishness comes to the fore with the people who own the big motor homes in as much as, "we dont use sites, we have all our own facilities, toilet, shower etc" we dont use motorway services etc etc etc, but how much water can you carry? and how much water would you use and where would you fill up?

malc d - 2008-11-29 9:34 AM
davenewell@home - 2008-11-29 7:20 AM
Tracker - 2008-11-28 8:50 PM You won't catch me leaving a warm, clean, quiet and dry motorhome for a shower in a grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block! However, as for those who do choose to entertain us by so doing, who cares what they wear - we are on holiday for heavens sake - chill out a bit and relax and smile!
I've never yet seen a "grubby, cold, wet and/or noisy shower block" on a Caravan Club site, every one I've been to had a nice clean warm quiet dry shower and toilet block. D.
I seem to recall that Tracker often tells us that he never uses sites, so I just wonder where he gets his insights from. From his description it sounds like one or two sites that I stayed on back in the sixties, so maybe that's the last time he visited one. :-|

I know! It's really quite sad isn't it that Tracker constantly feels the need to justify the real reason for not using sites, which is, that he doesn't want to pay. I too am curious as to how he forms these opinions of the behaviour of those of us who like sites, when he claims never to use them. Perhaps he's simply telling porkies?

What is even more amusing is that he admits to using aires occasionally. So he's happy to have a motorhome three feet on either side of him on an aire, but can't tolerate a spacious emplacement on a site. Peculiar or what?

However, as he has previously admitted on this forum that, in order to save water, he never showers, even when on a long trip, this discussion shouldn't really concern him.

I do understand his problem though as water is very difficult to obtain when you're skulking around for an hour or two trying to find somewhere to 'wildcamp' where you won't be robbed or moved on at 3.00 a.m.

Personally, I quite like the odd 'wild camp' when in wilderness regions but I care too much for my wife to subject her to the risks and the problems that you often read about when camping in some areas of the Continent and even in the U.K.

What do you expect from someone who eats Pangasius fish from the Mekong River in Vietnam that's spent it's life eating bacteria and toxic waste because it's only £2 per Kilo :D

Well all I can say is anyone who can write to a magazine complaining about how other people go to the shower, must lead a very sad life, I quite enjoy strolling to a nice warm clean shower block in my pj's without a care in the world, and could not care less what anyone thinks about my pj's, have a lovely leisurely shower get dressed and look forward to what the day brings. Carol.

Grumpy old men alert!!!!!!! :D

I have actually had the misfortune to use a 'less than the usual high standard' shower block at a Caravan Club site - all be it an affiliated one. It was at a racecourse - the shower control knob was broken off so you had to try to turn the remains of the knob with your fingers stuck into it, the shower cubicle itself wasn't the cleanest and all in all, if I hadn't really wanted to wash my hair etc I would have gone 'smelly' instead. :$ This was just on the one site though and was quite a few years ago now (before we had the full facilities on board).

Even though our 'van has a very good shower etc, if the block is good, I will use it - why not? That's what your paying for surely and it saves all the moping up afterwards ... mind you, on a cold winter's night, I'll stick to my van's facilities. :-S

What does it matter if I or anyone else wears nightwear and dressing godn to go to the shower? Each to their own.

I personally prefer to go in my nightdress and Dressing gown as it saves hopping about on a damp floor trying not to get the bottoms of my joggers wet.

Mel B - 2008-11-29 9:39 PM Grumpy old men alert!!!!!!! :D I have actually had the misfortune to use a 'less than the usual high standard' shower block at a Caravan Club site - all be it an affiliated one. It was at a racecourse - the shower control knob was broken off so you had to try to turn the remains of the knob with your fingers stuck into it, the shower cubicle itself wasn't the cleanest and all in all, if I hadn't really wanted to wash my hair etc I would have gone 'smelly' instead. :$ This was just on the one site though and was quite a few years ago now (before we had the full facilities on board). Even though our 'van has a very good shower etc, if the block is good, I will use it - why not? That's what your paying for surely and it saves all the moping up afterwards ... mind you, on a cold winter's night, I'll stick to my van's facilities. :-S

Grumpy Middle-Aged Woman Alert!

Banging on about a less than satisfactory site ten or fifteen years ago! Or maybe even longer?

Try a CC site this century, you may be pleasantly surprised! Oh, forgot, you probably object to the inclusive electricity as well!

I usually go to the shower block in my Rupert check pyjamas and have never noticed any hostility. :D The other punters are probably too busy looking out for whose dog s going to crap on their pitch. :D

I used to wear pretty housecoats or kaftans. to the shower block, in the mornings, If I felt quite carefree and in a couldn't care less frame of mind,

I would wear a short one, Show a little bit of leg first thing in the morning,

does wonders for the early morning men off for their showers.But, If I

felt shy, I would wear a long housecoat, and then walk back all refreshed

and take ages wondering what to wear for the day ahead. But, when you think about it. No one batts an eye. when some stroll in just wearing Bikin's. Funny old world, isn't it ? Ria. (lol)

Archived