Pyrrhic victory?.........

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

To use one of Brians favourite clever clog words ;-) ..........

I wonder how many of those youngsters we saw on telly having a melt down, will wake up in 10 years time wishing they hadn't gone to university (?) ...........

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/aug/10/more-than-a-third-of-uk-graduates-regret-attending-university

More than 3rd apparently 8-) ..........

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed yes, I fear the grade inflationwhich has given them boosted grades and presure on universities to admit them (or maybe welcome to universities because of the drop in foreign students this year) will not protect them from the risk of dropping out of university with a big personal debt, a poor or no degree then challenging competition for jobs etc etc. Sooner or later they will have to face up to the real world options and its challenges.

I hope some of them get the right sort of advice and choose wisely.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-08-18 9:05 AM

Indeed yes, I fear the grade inflationwhich has given them boosted grades and presure on universities to admit them (or maybe welcome to universities because of the drop in foreign students this year) will not protect them from the risk of dropping out of university with a big personal debt, a poor or no degree then challenging competition for jobs etc etc. Sooner or later they will have to face up to the real world options and its challenges.

The only positive that I can see is it will keep a lot of youngsters off the streets as the Chinky Flu recession bites :-| .........

It'll be a few years before the Degreets set in ;-) ........

" Grade inflation " is irrelevant if there are no worthwhile jobs available.

With so many regretting going to university, I would ask them what they studied - and what jobs they were hoping to get.

:-(

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2020-08-18 10:08 AM

With so many regretting going to university, I would ask them what they studied - and what jobs they were hoping to get.

There are plenty of "Well paid" jobs for those who aren't afraid of hardwork ;-) ...........

Why else do we have to rely on migrant labour to pick our veg? :-| ..........

Sadly our youth would rather do "drama" judging by the ones that have been on the telly lately *-) .......

pelmetman - 2020-08-18 12:00 PM

There are plenty of "Well paid" jobs for those who aren't afraid of hardwork ;-) ...........

Sadly our youth would rather do "drama" judging by the ones that have been on the telly lately *-) .......

Surely the point of Blowjo’s brexit was not to have the migrants here, that’s why veg and fruit farms were lacking pickers.

1) That counts you out then.

2) So spongers like you can take state benefits you "didn't really need".

And knowing your liking for DM headers i'm surprised you missed today's.........then again perhaps you hadn't and just pretending it will all go away until the next debacle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8638397/Clown-Gavin-Williamson-savaged-British-press-exams-farce.html

malc d - 2020-08-18 10:08 AM " Grade inflation " is irrelevant if there are no worthwhile jobs available.

It's only irrelevant for those who intend to live their lives waiting to be spoon-fed with attractive opportunities and otherwise live on benefits and in social housing as soon as they can get it. And having children is still seen as a way to get yourself something of a meal ticket too because our social and welfare system still operates on the basis that children are better off with their natural parents even if they are pretty useless people.

There may currently be a shortage of jobs because of COVID-19 but there will be some opportunities for those who are prepared to seek them out and present themselves competitively in order to get the job. Airline cabin staff getting themselves jobs as Carers in Rest and Nursing Homes for example.

I can't see the lower end of the Class of 2020 making much of themselves if they don't shape themselves.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-18 3:51 PM

And knowing your liking for DM headers i'm surprised you missed today's.........then again perhaps you hadn't and just pretending it will all go away until the next debacle.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8638397/Clown-Gavin-Williamson-savaged-British-press-exams-farce.html

1........Correct........I'm early retired in Brexit on Sea B-) .........

2.......Incorrect.....I'm too young and comfortably off to claim pension benefit ;-) .........

The latest Boris Bashing Bandwagon is just another LOSER bitchfest :D .........

I treat them and you Losers the same *-) .........

With contempt >:-) ..........

The impact of Grade Inflation on medical school admissions is going to hurt society too.

With 12% Grade Inflation and a guarantee that anyone from Class of 2020 who gets the grades because their teacher said they might will now get in, there will be a chunk of entrants who would normally have failed to gain entry and will now take up a place, some of whom may then be more likely than usual to dropout or fail the course. Fortunately because medical school is a five years course the practice is to weed out the failures as early as posible and then try very hard to make sure the rest get through, even if they are borderline. However because there are limited places (by Government edict and/or limitations on hospital places for clinical training) and the costs of the training greatly exceeds the fees which the students pay, the effect with be to lose some extra doctors as well as to yield some potentially borderline or inferior doctors.

All because it was politically correct to avoid disadvantaging pupils in poor performing schools who usually get over-optimistic teacher forecasts.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2020-08-19 11:18 AM

The impact of Grade Inflation on medical school admissions is going to hurt society too.

With 12% Grade Inflation and a guarantee that anyone from Class of 2020 who gets the grades because their teacher said they might will now get in, there will be a chunk of entrants who would normally have failed to gain entry and will now take up a place, some of whom may then be more likely than usual to dropout or fail the course. Fortunately because medical school is a five years course the practice is to weed out the failures as early as posible and then try very hard to make sure the rest get through, even if they are borderline. However because there are limited places (by Government edict and/or limitations on hospital places for clinical training) and the costs of the training greatly exceeds the fees which the students pay, the effect with be to lose some extra doctors as well as to yield some potentially borderline or inferior doctors.

All because it was politically correct to avoid disadvantaging pupils in poor performing schools who usually get over-optimistic teacher forecasts.

"All because it was politically correct to avoid disadvantaging pupils in poor performing schools who usually get over-optimistic teacher forecasts."

Exactly ;-) ..........

Along with the opportunity for a bit of Boris Bashing by the LLLLB *-) .........

As is self evident from their lack of bashing of the NI, Welsh or Scottish governments >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 10:12 AM

2.......Incorrect.....I'm too young and comfortably off to claim pension benefit ;-) .........

You openly bragged on the forum about claiming a benefit "you didn't really need".

Bring it on. We're enjoying watching your party of clowns tear itself apart and self destruct. This epic fail is simply to divert from all your previous disasters and Johnson and his cronies are toast. Screwing up future voters lives is a vote LOSER for sure! (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-19 2:18 PM

You openly bragged on the forum about claiming a benefit "you didn't really need".

Bring it on. We're enjoying watching your party of clowns tear itself apart and self destruct. This epic fail is simply to divert from all your previous disasters and Johnson and his cronies are toast. Screwing up future voters lives is a vote LOSER for sure! (lol)

Judging by the polls you haven't achieved very much have you?........Seeing as Boris has barely moved a didgit from the 43% he won the last election with ;-) .........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

The only folk Queer Stammer has got Flip Flopping are the Liberals >:-) ...........

That's nothing new (lol) (lol) (lol) ...........

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 2:33 PM

Judging by the polls you haven't achieved very much have you?........Seeing as Boris has barely moved a didgit from the 43% he won the last election with ;-) .........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election

The only folk Queer Stammer has got Flip Flopping are the Liberals >:-) ...........

Not quite all true,I did see a poll about a week ago that showed more re people were in favour of Keir Starmer being Prime Minister than Boris.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-19 3:29 PM

Not quite all true,I did see a poll about a week ago that showed more re people were in favour of Keir Starmer being Prime Minister than Boris.

You do realise at elections you vote for a polictical party, not the leader of the party ;-) ........

You need to join the Tory party like I did to vote for the leader B-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 3:51 PM

You do realise at elections you vote for a polictical party, not the leader of the party ;-) ........

It wasn’t concerning an election, people were asked who they would prefer to see as PM. and Boris didn’t score highly.

Judging by the polls you haven't achieved very much have you?........

Deflecting won't get you anywhere. That's the problem with your lot.....every time they cock up you blame shift, deflect, anything but take responsibility for your actions and admit you made a mess. Even your Brexpress has lambasted him. He doesn't care, he does what he always when the sh1t hits the fan.....run off. Johnson has proved to be the worst PM this country has had the misfortune to suffer and the sooner the bone idle coward is gone the better.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-08-19 5:07 PM

Deflecting won't get you anywhere. That's the problem with your lot.....every time they cock up you blame shift, deflect, anything but take responsibility for your actions and admit you made a mess. Even your Brexpress has lambasted him. He doesn't care, he does what he always when the sh1t hits the fan.....run off. Johnson has proved to be the worst PM this country has had the misfortune to suffer and the sooner the bone idle coward is gone the better.

You obviously missed tonights BBC news item, where one of their reporters was in a Northern town desperately trying to find folk to slag off Boris ;-) .........

He failed :D .........

Looks like You Losers are just bitching to yourseleves (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-19 5:02 PM

It wasn’t concerning an election, people were asked who they would prefer to see as PM. and Boris didn’t score highly.

If I recall correctly it was just one poll, and there was just a few percentage points between them ;-) ..........

Prolly asked a load of Losers >:-) ...........

There's a lot of them about.........especially on here (lol) (lol) (lol)

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 7:11 PM

If I recall correctly it was just one poll, and there was just a few percentage points between them ;-) ..........

Yeh but that makes Boris a Looooooooser.

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-19 7:12 PM

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 7:11 PM

Yeh but that makes Boris a Looooooooser.

I fear for your grasp of reality when you think a prime minister with a 80 seat majority is a loser 8-) ..........

Perhaps you need to see a shrink? ;-) ...........

Guest pelmetman
jumpstart - 2020-08-19 7:19 PM

Not for long, his popularity is dropping down the Swanny hole. He’s not to popular with shrinks at the mo.

More Loser wishful thinking :D ..........

Only 4 years until you get another chance to lose again >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2020-08-19 7:06 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-08-19 5:07 PM

You obviously missed tonights BBC news item, where one of their reporters was in a Northern town desperately trying to find folk to slag off Boris ;-) .........

He failed :D .........

Looks like You Losers are just bitching to yourseleves (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

Which only a few week ago you were slagging off.....Hypocrite.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/BBC-anti-government-Bias-Exposed-/55417/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/General-Chat/Chatterbox/Biased-Broadcasting-Corperation-/55716/

U-turns are obviously a Tory trait and do that many you end up with spin.

Archived