RAC or AA

michele

We have the RAC and we pay a little extra for having what's called Rapid Response. Supposidly? I don't really find there response times to good .

Example last week whilst in the hospital I left the lights on in the volvo in a panic to get back to her.

I looked out of the window at 2 in the morning saw my alarm was going off where I had run down the battery . To late I had totaly wiped it silly me. I phoned the RAC to be toldl with this response thing wait til 2.and a half hours ... I needed to get home to take my son to warwickshire early sat morning .

Does anyone get a better deal with the AA .

what has also done it is it would only ever be our second call and the first one was worse if that's the best that they can do with disabled people on board well i'sa thinking no good... anyone any experience.

Aparently the M/H has AA cover well I didn't find them great at xmas at the shuttle with no heater 3 hours ..what else is out there?

Hi Michele. I only chose the RAC because i,m a member of the CCC. I don,t know if its any different now, but there were no size restrictions with the RAC and there were with AA at the time. Worth checking, but that apart I don,t think there.s to much between the two with regards to level of service and waiting times.

Hi Michele

I'm sure you will get horror stories about all the Breakdown services.

I was in the AA for years and had reasonable service, but let down very badly (IMHO) and had a right falling out with them.

Like you I now have the AA under the M/H warranty and also same for my Honda Accord, but they are vehicle specific.

I am a member of the RAC as an individual does not matter what vehicle I am driving.

What ever you do make sure you have cover for YOU and not a single vehicle.

Flicka

Flicka,

yes agreed the cost that they charge for rapid response for Diasabled isn't cheap in my opinion RAPID RESPONSE they are havinga laugh .

Maybe I should try the AA se what they offer or complain to the RAC ?

We have cover for us and any vehicle we drive or are in . ;-)

Hi,

We are with Britania, who charge the least (£115 for me and wife, any vehicle we are in, and unlimited travel in a specified vehicle in Europe) and pay the recovery firms the most. Normal response time is about 20 minutes in our experience.

I was once told the the big organisations waste time trying to get one of their own vehicles to you, but eventually accept they have to call out a local firm....after most of an hour has passed.

When we were member of one of the big two, my wife once waited on the M4 for two hours. Single woman, open sports car. Recovery driver eventually arrived, said they couldn't find her. Or perhaps somebody else had waved a couple of fivers at her truck as it passed them?

howie - 2007-01-17 1:27 PM

Hi Michele. I only chose the RAC because i,m a member of the CCC. I don,t know if its any different now, but there were no size restrictions with the RAC and there were with AA at the time. Worth checking, but that apart I don,t think there.s to much between the two with regards to level of service and waiting times.

Hi. I keep the paperwork in the van, but i,m sure these were the main reasons I chose the RAC.

The service was put together with motorhome owners in mind by the CCC.

There are no weight or length restrictions in place, although you may have to pay at the time if heavy recovery equipment is used. i.e. RVs but you are refunded later.

I

The contract covers you and not the vehicle, so if you are travelling with someone else it still applies.

Including the one year n.c.b. it costs me around £70 which gets us home or to a garage but doesn,t cover Europe.

The RAC does use approved garages for callouts if none of their own are available, but I imagine the standard would still be pretty high.

I,ll check this is correct later on, but right now i,m sitting tight until the weather improves.

Guest starspirit

The CCC scheme is called RAC Arrival and has to be bought through the RAC. Most, but not all, RAC call centre operators seem to understand how it works and it seems good vfm.

On the odd occasion over the years when we have needed help they always asked if we have special needs or are in immediate danger.

We have RAC cover for UK and Europe, bought as a bolt on package with the vehicle insurance. 

The cover closely resembles RAC Europe (and Arrival), but it only costs £55.  Any size, or age, of motorhome is covered.  Territorial limits are the whole of Western Europe, with green card required for certain states, but the limits can be extended by arrangement, for an additional premium.  Single trip limit is 365 days!

This can only be bought as a package with the vehicle insurance, but the combined cost is very competetive.

The vehicle insurance is with Norwich Union, who have "block bought" breakdown cover from the RAC, and are selling this on at well below RAC's own rates to enhance the appeal of their insurance policies.

Those who have had the misfortune to need assistance have reported favourably on the management and response provided.

The vehicle insurance/breakdown package is from Comfort Insurance, who advertise in MMM, and provide motorhome specific packages.  Car, travel, house and contents packages are all available, and periods away from home can be co-ordinated across all the different insurances, by adjustments to the premiums.

Archived