Re classification of maximum weight

Foggy

Help! I have a Pilote Galaxy 270. The max. Gross Weight is 3850 Kg. Fully loaded with 2 people, all clothing, 2 mountain bikes, full fuel & watertanks, barbeque, picnic table & chairs I only weigh 3570 Kg. Can I have the van reregistered to a Max of 3500 Kg Gross to avoid the necessary driving medical at age 70 which only applies if I drive vehicles over 3500 Kg? Has any one done this?

You can down plate LGVs to a lower weight, thus saving on road tax etc, so I would imagine you can do the same with your vehicle, (if I remember rightly, I done it with a Merc self-build years ago), you dont usually have to have it inspected but it will cost you for the issue of a new certificate,but what you will have to remember is that you will be losing 350 kgs of permissable payload, thats quite a lot,but would appear to be within your needs anyway. type "down plating vehicles" into a search engine, and you should get a result. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
Foggy, Yes, downplating is quite easy. But remember, you will not then be able to go over 3500 Kgs, which may limit you on longer trips. If you want full details, send me a private mail (click on my name on this reply) with your email address and I'll send a copy of the paper I prepared as backup to some MMM articles last year. It gives a step-by-step guide to doing it.

Archived