Reception / Speakers

howie

Hi. Fed up with the 20 minute cut out on the cab radio so planning to put in a radio/cd in the rear living area. Not a problem, but i just want to know the best way of getting a decent radio reception. Used to have a suction type antennae that stuck on the window in our previous van, but never more than 'adequate', so looking for something thats really up to the job and requires no drilling holes in the bodywork.

My other question relates to the speakers. Already have the four speakers in the van, two in the cab and two at the rear, so would there be any problem if the two at the rear were disconnected and then wired into the new radio/cd, or would this create any unforseen problems.

Thanks.

Howie My son is very good at this sort of stuff - but he is in France at the moment but will check with him on his return.

However from previous conversations with him on similar - he says that most car head units are geared up for four speakers and so disconnecting two would not give good balanced sound and could well cause problems.

Better to get a whole new system if you want to but I know he has overridden the cut off time so that the radio can be played all the time. Just watch the battery as music is nice but a flat battery not so funny.

If you do go for a separate system (lots of advantages if you do as most aftermarket ones can be tailored to you needs and not just a cheapish unit bought in at the lowest possible price and badly mounted in the dash) then you can buy a TV signal booster for your TV that has two outputs - you can use one for the TV and one for the radio.

Don't forget that as well as being able to disable the cut off on your existing radio if you want, you can also get radio thro' your digibox/skybox and the reception and choice of stations is fantastic. You can also play CDs via your DVD.

We have so many systems in our 'van now that we are truly spoilt for choice.

Overlooked the obvious there Clive, but rarely use the telly in the van, and there is of course a radio connection on the status aerial which provides the solution re. reception. Think i,ll go along with your thoughts on 'splitting' the speakers as well. Not going to break the bank by buying a new pair, and it would be a pity to possibly reduce the quality of the original setup.

Take your point on being 'spoilt for choice'. My brother in law has one of the new Avtex tv,s that really does do everything. Have been tempted once or twice, but as I said, not into the telly while we're away and more than happy with the basic setup we have at the moment with just the radio to be added for chat and background music.

Thanks for the info and advice.

Archived