Redundancy

nightrider

I have got three close relatives who are in very dicy situations, one of which has already been made redundant, all three were or are in highly paid professional jobs and all of them are up to their eyeballs in debt.

The one that was made redundant had five minutes to clear his desk, given 3 months salary and allowed to keep his company Volvo up till Christmas, no way can he pay his mortgage which he is three years into, the other two are quaking in their boots, all three thought nothing of going thousands into debt, looks like the chickens have come home to roost now.

knight of the road - 2008-12-20 12:39 AM

I have got three close relatives who are in very dicy situations, one of which has already been made redundant, all three were or are in highly paid professional jobs and all of them are up to their eyeballs in debt.

The one that was made redundant had five minutes to clear his desk, given 3 months salary and allowed to keep his company Volvo up till Christmas, no way can he pay his mortgage which he is three years into, the other two are quaking in their boots, all three thought nothing of going thousands into debt, looks like the chickens have come home to roost now.

Unfortunately, it rather sounds as if these three are indicative of the people who have, collectively, generated the bubble that is now bursting so spectacularly.

Them and Gordon Brown, who has already borrowed more (remember that Government borrowing is simply another way of saying future tax) in just the past 3 years than the borrowings of EVERY OTHER GOVERNMENT, ALL ADDED TOGETHER.

The pound really is falling off a cliff, because every overseas trader and business sees this ubelieveably monstrous UK national debt (now more than FOUR times the entire national GDP) and knows that this is utter, utter lunacy.

If you are busted because of debt, the absolute last thing you do is massively ramp up your month-on month borrowing yet further.

The thing that is constantly on my mind is the vast numbers of people having their homes repossessed. Where are they going to live?

There are no council houses being built to accommodate them, the statistics for divorce and suicides will be going through the roof, it is a problem on a massive scale and yet more and more immigrants are still pouring through the ever open front door, surely that door should be firmly locked in view of the current situation, a problem of mammoth preportions is looming on the horizon.

My Christmas present this year is redundancy.

Not only have I lost my income, I do not qualify for redundancy pay so get nowt, but to add insult to the injury - I owe them money, how you ask? Well as the holiday year is April to March, I have taken in good faith all my annual leave, they with absolutely no good faith have taken it back out of my final wages.

To be made redundant with nothing is alot worse than having a few months cushion that can be eeked out further with care. I know that next year my first purchase will be a belt to hold up my trousers, then with a positive attitude I shall be actively looking for a job, any job to bring a wage in and pay the bills.

Good Luck to all fellow redundancee's (if that's how you spell it) and just try and keep positive even if you are quaking in your boots.

So sorry to hear about your redundancy and I know from the experience of my husband (many years ago) that as well as the financila worry there is this underlying feeling of failure (even though it is through no fault of your own).

My Christmas present this year is a letter from the Government telling me that my pension (already lost value over the years through rising cost of living) has been overpaid. No hint or estimate by how much so could be pennies per month (I wish!) or into the hundred. The uncertainty until the end of February will make any future plans impossible. Already having to try to find a tenant as I can't sell my large house (and move to a smaller one and realise the cash tied up in it) and certainly can't afford to run it, even before this news. Still, if I can only find a tenant I might be full-timing by the summer, who knows !

Nothing worse than getting laid off, even when its nothing to do with you personally, but what does worry me is that these jobs are now gone for good and unlike previous recessions, where there was always light at the end of the tunnel, this one see's the end of so many manufacturing jobs that will now be permanently based abroad or simply disappear for good.

Picture the scene, Mr and Mrs Average in their 30's with 2.4 children, 5 or 10 years down the line with their mortgaged modest semi detached house a 2 or 3 year old car bought to get Mr Average to his job in order to pay his liabilities to keep a roof over their heads and to feed and clothe his family.

Within a few months of being made redundant they are at risk of having their house repossessed and if lucky being granted the tenancy of a grotty council house or put in a hostel, the shock of that is enough to make you want to do yourself in, being self-employed I usually have a surplus amount of work which I pass over to anyone I know who might be struggling to make ends meet on the dole, do I have a concience? no I dont, I will always help out the underdog.

Personally I think that this is our tsunami - caused by the Government. I wonder, will we get help from the rest of the world? We know the answer to that....NO........but I'm sure we'll still be there helping everyone else out. Will someone please tell them that Charity begins at home, and to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks about us, look after your own first.

Patricia - 2008-12-20 11:55 AM

So sorry to hear about your redundancy and I know from the experience of my husband (many years ago) that as well as the financila worry there is this underlying feeling of failure (even though it is through no fault of your own).

My Christmas present this year is a letter from the Government telling me that my pension (already lost value over the years through rising cost of living) has been overpaid. No hint or estimate by how much so could be pennies per month (I wish!) or into the hundred. The uncertainty until the end of February will make any future plans impossible. Already having to try to find a tenant as I can't sell my large house (and move to a smaller one and realise the cash tied up in it) and certainly can't afford to run it, even before this news. Still, if I can only find a tenant I might be full-timing by the summer, who knows !

Patricia,

The problems of renting your house out are just like walking through a minefield, you are not always sure of getting your rent, the tenant might trash the property and it is not an easy or cheap task to get them out.

Been there seen it and done it, good luck.

Rapido-lass - 2008-12-20 1:27 PM

Personally I think that this is our tsunami - caused by the Government. I wonder, will we get help from the rest of the world? We know the answer to that....NO........but I'm sure we'll still be there helping everyone else out. Will someone please tell them that Charity begins at home, and to stop worrying about what everyone else thinks about us, look after your own first.

Gordon Brown is saying that he will be pulling the troops out of Iraq next year, where will he put them? at home or ship them to Afghanistan? Its not all that long ago he was going to commit troops to the Congo, what for? can't these other countries sort out their own mess?

Bring our troops home and use the billions of pounds saved to pay off our indebtedness, like you say, charity begins at home and by God do we need charity.

When we were married 48 years ago we lived from hand to mouth couldnt save nothing it was spoken for that pittance before we got it! if we needed a bank loan my husband would go on his knees to speak to the bank manager and was probably refused he had just come out of the R.A.F. after 8 years!

These days we have watched the young couple,s starting married life in big houses! credit cards by the dozen (a slight exaggeration) but you know what I mean!! this is living on TICK in my book, Who pays for all this!! it had to come to an end, we of our age NOW retired have all seen recession we were both victims of it in the 60s remind me Who was in power then? OH yes Harold McMillan.

If you live beyond your means Don,t cry when you come unstuck It will do everyone good to tighten their belts and realise that things have to be paid for.

And for all the out there that are calling G.B. for borrowing to lend to the banks It is a global recession get off the Band Wagon!! little David would be completely out of his depth So Stop kidding yourselves.

Archived