Remain and Reform Option

snowie

Just caught Today prog and My mate Tony Blair advocating Remain and Reform option in a people’s vote.

A politician, who’s name I forget was suggesting same thing earlier yesterday. She would get my vote.

Extend Article 50 for that purpose.

Norway: Canada : Remain & Reform. Three options that cover most likely scenarios.

If we went back into EU we couldn’t go back into an organisation with the problems that caused Brexit, and similar calls for change in many of the remaining countries.

Trouble is, we lack politicians on any side, who have imagination, so I’m not that optimistic.

Snowie

snowie - 2019-01-17 9:06 AM

Trouble is, we lack politicians on any side, who have imagination, so I’m not that optimistic.

Snowie

Trouble is - there are no signs that the EU has any intention of reforming.

( As Cameron found out when he tried it ).

:-|

Just read Dereks posting - and it seems there may be ONE politician in the EU who might be up for reforms.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-01-17 9:20 AM

snowie - 2019-01-17 9:06 AM

Snowie

Trouble is - there are no signs that the EU has any intention of reforming.

( As Cameron found out when he tried it ).

:-|

Precisely *-) ..............

We've been trying to reform the EU for 40+ years 8-) .........

The EU already reformed the freedom of movement rules nearly a year ago to make it harder for foreign workers to undercut local workers in a host country.

Brexit will have certainly made some ripples in the EU pond and it stands to reason that the EU should reform if its members choose for it to do so. Cameron did make some headway but a lot has changed since then. We actually went ahead and are on the brink of leaving for one thing. The EU is made up of representatives of all our nations. Why would it not reform if its members chose for it to do so?

Maybe it wont but we will never influence it or find out if we clear off now will we? If Brexit has shaken things up then it would make sense to try and fight from within and if it doesnt work out what is stopping us leaving in the future? At least we will know whats involved then.

EU and reform - now there are two thoughts that you will never see in the same paragraph in EU cuckooland.

Ever tried getting turkeys to vote for Christmas also comes to mind?

Ever tried telling French farmers their subsidies will be cut?

Ever tried to stop French and Spanish fishing boats from plundering UK fish stocks?

Dream on!!

On the other hand, a major cash contributor leaving might just make someone think - but I won't hold my breath while I wait!

As soon as we’ve gone, and before the next country starts the process.

They’ve got better things to do with their time than go through this farce again.

And before the population across Europe start really looking to the ultra right.

Just my opinion of course,

Snowie

derek pringle - 2019-01-17 9:20 AM

Hi Snowie,

The incoming new president of the EU was on tv advocating exactly the same thing. It seems at this moment in time the EU is ripe for making changes and I think a lot of support from other countries would be gathered.

Manfred Weber interviewed by Matt Frei.

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 4:23 PM

Tracker - 2019-01-17 2:00 PM

Yep.......more commonly known as Brexiteers.

Talking about Turkeys voting for Christmas, I notice on all the motorhome forums they are all panicking about length of stay in the EU, driving licence permits, ferries all being booked up or over priced, their pets, exchange rate you name it. Yet on nearly every motorhome forum in 2016 the polls were massively in favour of leave. Some as high as 70%. Turkeys in deed.

By the way Dave or anyone in Spain if your reading this, someone just reported that all the ferries from Spain pre Brexit are all but booked solid with returning Ex pats and travellers. If you come back through France bring us some Leffe and some decent cheese, ill make a list.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-european-international-travel/73881-ferries-spain-uk-february-march-nearly-all-full.html

747 - 2019-01-17 4:17 PM

It will never happen. The EU Parliament does not have the power to introduce a Bill on anything. It would have to be decided by unelected people for elected MEP's to vote on.

Sorry, but not quite. :-) This description is adapted from Wiki. The procedure is more open, though more complex, than the above implies.

"There are three political institutions which hold the executive and legislative power of the Union.

The Council of the European Union represents governments, the Parliament represents citizens and the Commission represents the European interest.

(The Council of the European Union comprises the elected heads of state or government of the member states, the Parliament is directly elected by citizens of the member states, and the Commission is its civil service, with the Commissioners being appointed by the governments of the member states, one per state. The Commission can propose legislation, but it must be approved by the Parliament or the Council before it becomes law. Only about 20% of EU law originates with the Commission.)

Essentially, the Council of the European Union, the Parliament, or another party place a request for legislation to the Commission.

The Commission then drafts this and presents it to the Parliament and the Council of the European Union, where in most cases both must give their assent.

Although the exact nature of this depends upon the legislative procedure in use, once it is approved and signed by both bodies it becomes law.

The Commission's duty is to ensure it is implemented by dealing with the day-to-day running of the Union and taking others to Court if they fail to comply."

So, the Parliament can (and does) propose change, which will then be drafted by the Commission and presented back to the Parliament to vote on, and to the Council for further approval by the elected heads of state or government of all member states. So, it has to be approved twice, on both occasions by people elected by the citizens of the member states, before it becomes law. Take away the Council, and it is not significantly different to want happens in our own parliament. The unelected civil servants provide the legal drafts of bills, which the parliament then debates and votes on.

Barryd999 - 2019-01-17 4:39 PM

Talking about Turkeys voting for Christmas, I notice on all the motorhome forums they are all panicking about length of stay in the EU, driving licence permits, ferries all being booked up or over priced, their pets, exchange rate you name it. Yet on nearly every motorhome forum in 2016 the polls were massively in favour of leave. Some as high as 70%. Turkeys in deed.

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/motorhome-european-international-travel/73881-ferries-spain-uk-february-march-nearly-all-full.html

Back in 2015 nobody gave a flying fig about EU membership, life was normal and everyone had been enjoying unfettered border free travel for years throughout Schengen countries. Many obviously overstaying without question. Now the harsh reality of shooting themselves in the foot has finally dawned.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 6:33 PM

Back in 2015 nobody gave a flying fig about EU membership, life was normal and everyone had been enjoying unfettered border free travel for years throughout Schengen countries. Many obviously overstaying without question. Now the harsh reality of shooting themselves in the foot has finally dawned.

Explain why in 2014 UKIP became the largest group of British MEP's then? >:-) .............

pelmetman - 2019-01-17 10:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 6:33 PM

Explain why in 2014 UKIP became the largest group of British MEP's then? >:-) .............

They spent £3 million spouting race hate and whipping up xenophobia to get 4 more MEP's than Labour who spent a third that amount.

Now we have an increase of non-EU migrants the EU have no responsibility over (just as has been proven to you - though you ignore, UK gov ignored EU regulation on EU migrant levels).

Oh the irony!!! Sweet Karma!! Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of hate filled fruitloops!! (lol)(lol)

Bulletguy - 2019-01-17 4:19 PM

derek pringle - 2019-01-17 9:20 AM

Hi Snowie,

The incoming new president of the EU was on tv advocating exactly the same thing. It seems at this moment in time the EU is ripe for making changes and I think a lot of support from other countries would be gathered.

Manfred Weber interviewed by Matt Frei.

cheers for this Bulletguy

derek

Archived