Remoaners.......The new bourgeoisie.......

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-27 9:29 PM

I read your link.......drivel: Mr Tombs is clearly nouveau riche... Did I spell that correctly?

Snowie

"Nouveau Riche"........Is that Remoaner speak for ........"I hate the truth"? :D ..........

I read your link.......drivel: Mr Tombs is clearly nouveau riche... Did I spell that correctly?

Snowie

Just another bitter Brexiter who knows their campaign was based around a silly slogan on a big red bus and empty promises. Brexit is fighting for survival now.....they're a desperate bunch in fear of a peoples vote because they know they'd lose it.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-27 10:14 PM

Snowie

Just another bitter Brexiter who knows their campaign was based around a silly slogan on a big red bus and empty promises. Brexit is fighting for survival now.....they're a desperate bunch in fear of a peoples vote because they know they'd lose it.

It's too late for a "Remoaners Vote" before the 29th :D ..........

So your stuffed.......... as even Corbyn has said he wouldn't stop BREXIT >:-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-28 9:52 AM

Snowie

So your stuffed.......... as even Corbyn has said he wouldn't stop BREXIT >:-) .........

You are forgetting several key points.

1. Corbyn is unlikely to get a general election now at least before March 29th so its Labour policy to support a second ref once Mays deal is toast then it doesnt matter what Corbyn thinks.

2. The EU have made it quite clear that Article 50 can be extended for a second ref or general election.

3. We can revoke article 50 ourselves now without any need for approval from the EU.

4. Parliament have more power and influence to "Take back control" :D of Brexit once Mays ridiculous deal fails.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2018-12-28 11:14 AM

pelmetman - 2018-12-28 9:52 AM

Snowie

1. Corbyn is unlikely to get a general election now at least before March 29th so its Labour policy to support a second ref once Mays deal is toast then it doesnt matter what Corbyn thinks.

2. The EU have made it quite clear that Article 50 can be extended for a second ref or general election.

3. We can revoke article 50 ourselves now without any need for approval from the EU.

4. Parliament have more power and influence to "Take back control" :D of Brexit once Mays ridiculous deal fails.

Do you really think the EU want us to take part in the EU MEP elections in May? >:-) ............

pelmetman -

Do you really think the EU want us to take part in the EU MEP elections in May? >:-) ............

Of course they would, one step closer to not leaving.

And maybe we’d take more interest in who we vote for as MEPs?

Snowie

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2018-12-29 10:33 AM

Snowie

The Brussels parliament is already expecting a surge of populists MEP's in May ;-) .........

"The findings of the study come six months before European parliamentary elections that some are predicting could return more rightwing populists than ever to the 751-seat chamber."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/20/revealed-one-in-four-europeans-vote-populist

They're hardly going to want a increase in the number of UKIP MEP's as well >:-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-12-29 11:13 AM

Snowie

The Brussels parliament is already expecting a surge of populists MEP's in May ;-) .........

"The findings of the study come six months before European parliamentary elections that some are predicting could return more rightwing populists than ever to the 751-seat chamber."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng-interactive/2018/nov/20/revealed-one-in-four-europeans-vote-populist

They're hardly going to want a increase in the number of UKIP MEP's as well >:-) ..........

So you want a dictatorship of far right extremism? That's Fascism. Quite what attracts you to populism i've no idea other than your open dislike for EU citizens coming to UK but to replace those who left we now have an increase in non-EU migrants, many of whom you will dislike even more as they will be the 'wrong' colour. Populism hasn't been going too well as Hungarians recently discovered with Orban attempting to introduce draconian punitive 'laws' to force people to work 400 hours a year overtime without pay due to finding themselves with a labour shortfall after chucking migrant labour out.

Also from your own link;

In Belgium, for example, the populist Flemish nationalist party Vlaams Belang has been in decline for a decade. And populist parties that enter government – and are, of necessity, forced to compromise on their promises – can find life hard.

The Finns party, which joined Finland's ruling coalition in 2015 after winning 17.5% of the vote, has imploded and split in two; its two successor parties are polling at 10% and 1.5%. In Greece, Syriza has slid to 25% from the 36% that swept it to power in 2015.

Support for the Danish People's party, which lends support to a minority centre-right government, has fallen from 21% in 2015 to 17%. And Ukip's popular backing has also fallen away spectacularly since Britain voted to leave the EU.

Tombs is a Brexiter. He is seeking to discredit anyone who favours remain, and is raising old, class based, canards, to do so - while praying in aid his academic credentials. What a pseud!

I am a Cambridge professor of history, French history, even, and Brexiter, so it follows that I know more about the intentions and attitudes of remain voters, and the reasons why they reject Brexit, than they themselves know. I also know that they are intellectual snobs who see (other, of course! :-)) Brexiters as an undereducated, working class, mob. How dare they exhibit (according to me, the Cambridge history prof) such appallingly elitist attitudes? Personally, I would never stoop to such depths.

Ad hominem? You bet. Methinks Mr Tombs finds the argument not quite going his way! So, instead of arguing in favour of Brexit and all the benefits it will bring to the UK as a whole, he launches a series of personal attacks on those who favour remain, on the ground of their claimed intellectual snobbery, because if he can discredit them, he will also discredit their arguments. Classic!

Verily hath Hell no fury like a woman scorned - except it be an academic scorned! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-29 5:28 PM

Verily hath Hell no fury like a woman scorned - except it be an academic scorned! :-D

What we need is a professor of the future - not history - to advise on the outcome of Brexit.

( … and even then - it would only be HIS opinion )

;-)

malc d - 2018-12-29 5:38 PM

What we need is a professor of the future - not history - to advise on the outcome of Brexit.

( … and even then - it would only be HIS opinion ) ;-)

I thought they were called economists - though the future is all a matter of opinion. We can but see it dimly, until it is the past - and even then our view is inexact! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2018-12-29 5:47 PM

malc d - 2018-12-29 5:38 PM

( … and even then - it would only be HIS opinion ) ;-)

I thought they were called economists - though the future is all a matter of opinion.

An economist is a man who believes his own spreadsheets.

:-|

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-29 3:34 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-29 11:13 AM

Snowie

So you want a dictatorship of far right extremism? That's Fascism. Quite what attracts you to populism i've no idea other than your open dislike for EU citizens coming to UK but to replace those who left we now have an increase in non-EU migrants, many of whom you will dislike even more as they will be the 'wrong' colour. Populism hasn't been going too well as Hungarians recently discovered with Orban attempting to introduce draconian punitive 'laws' to force people to work 400 hours a year overtime without pay due to finding themselves with a labour shortfall after chucking migrant labour out.

Also from your own link;

In Belgium, for example, the populist Flemish nationalist party Vlaams Belang has been in decline for a decade. And populist parties that enter government – and are, of necessity, forced to compromise on their promises – can find life hard.

The Finns party, which joined Finland's ruling coalition in 2015 after winning 17.5% of the vote, has imploded and split in two; its two successor parties are polling at 10% and 1.5%. In Greece, Syriza has slid to 25% from the 36% that swept it to power in 2015.

Support for the Danish People's party, which lends support to a minority centre-right government, has fallen from 21% in 2015 to 17%. And Ukip's popular backing has also fallen away spectacularly since Britain voted to leave the EU.

I guess we'll find out who's the most popular.............Next May >:-) .........

Archived