Retailers warn of 45% increase on food prices

Bulletguy

Retailers have warned that a no-deal Brexit will lead to “unaffordable” price hikes on food and drink for customers in both the UK and Ireland as well as causing shortages of some everyday items.

Leaders of retail bodies said reverting to World Trade Organisation tariffs could make the cost of making fresh food and drink available to consumers increase by as much as 45 per cent – which is likely to be passed on to customers.

The warning comes days after Birds Eye boss Wayne Hudson said food prices were likely to rise by up to 20 per cent “virtually immediately” due to new tariffs.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/brexit-no-deal-food-prices-tariffs-wto-uk-ireland-retail-a8789576.html

Anything that stops food travelling hundreds, if not thousands, of miles when most of it can be produced locally, albeit seasonally, like it used to be, has to be a good thing for the environment despite the howls of protest from those with a vested interest in importing.

I really can't see how anyone can defend the abysmal abuse of food being transported miles just to make a profit and that form of customs freedom does seem to be one of the EU's worst ideas.

I hope there will be a surfeit of surplus unwanted refrigerated trucks on the market soon - and that has to be good for the air that we breathe.

Tracker - 2019-02-22 7:58 PM

Anything that stops food travelling hundreds, if not thousands, of miles when most of it can be produced locally, albeit seasonally, like it used to be, has to be a good thing for the environment despite the howls of protest from those with a vested interest in importing.

What do you suggest.....reinstating allotments and charging the peasants to work them? Rising costs doesn't affect the wealthy whose only concern with growth is over their stocks and hedge fund assets. As always it's going to affect the less well off.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-22 9:01 PM

Tracker - 2019-02-22 7:58 PM

What do you suggest.....reinstating allotments and charging the peasants to work them? Rising costs doesn't affect the wealthy whose only concern with growth is over their stocks and hedge fund assets. As always it's going to affect the less well off.

Feed em Bull Sh*t ;-) ............

Remoaners seem to thrive on it 8-) ..........

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

There will be an increase in food prices ........ but only if we keep buying from EU countries.

Some food will actually be cheaper if we source it elsewhere. North African countries are already taking business away from Europe, Agriculture has grown rapidly in this area. Fear not Dave, the Lettuce riots will not happen. :D

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-02-23 8:03 AM

There will be an increase in food prices ........ but only if we keep buying from EU countries.

Some food will actually be cheaper if we source it elsewhere. North African countries are already taking business away from Europe, Agriculture has grown rapidly in this area. Fear not Dave, the Lettuce riots will not happen. :D

I'll be all right here in Spain ;-) ...........

When we come back in April I'm gonna fill the camper and trailer with Lettuce, and make a killing when I get home B-) ...........

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 8:19 AM

When we come back in April I'm gonna fill the camper and trailer with Lettuce, and make a killing when I get home B-) ...........

Fill yer boots mate.

One thing is certain ... if it is going to cost 45% more, Spain will have mountains of it and no buyers. 8-)

Guest pelmetman
747 - 2019-02-23 3:32 PM

Fill yer boots mate.

One thing is certain ... if it is going to cost 45% more, Spain will have mountains of it and no buyers. 8-)

Dam I forgot me boots :D .......

Of course......one of the benefits being an EU country is tariff free trading and seamless flow of goods.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 4:41 PM

Of course......one of the benefits being an EU country is tariff free trading and seamless flow of goods.

Yeah the seafood for the paella I cooked yesterday came from Chile >:-) .......

Guest pelmetman

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 4:47 PM

Some food will actually be cheaper if we source it elsewhere. North African countries are already taking business away from Europe, Agriculture has grown rapidly in this area. Fear not Dave, the Let

tuce riots will not happen. :D

Which surprise surprise has a trade deal with the EU and the EU is its third biggest trading partner. Its funny you know but it seems that everyone has single markets and trade agreements these days. Nobody seems to be trading on their own and pulling up the draw bridges and relying totally on WTO rules. Nobody at all, just you Brexiteers it seems. Your either incredibly clever and know something the rest of us dont or incredibly stupid. Hmm.

Barryd999 - 2019-02-23 4:52 PM

Some food will actually be cheaper if we source it elsewhere. North African countries are already taking business away from Europe, Agriculture has grown rapidly in this area. Fear not Dave, the Let

Which surprise surprise has a trade deal with the EU and the EU is its third biggest trading partner. Its funny you know but it seems that everyone has single markets and trade agreements these days. Nobody seems to be trading on their own and pulling up the draw bridges and relying totally on WTO rules. Nobody at all, just you Brexiteers it seems. Your either incredibly clever and know something the rest of us dont or incredibly stupid. Hmm.

I thought we'd signed a continuity agreement with Chile ??? ... We didnt need to pay the EU billions to do that did we

Guest pelmetman

Yeah so what?.......Are you saying we wont be allowed to do a trade deal with Chile once we leave the EU? ;-) ........

Have you taken one of Bullets, Dumb Dumb pills? 8-) .........

I should be careful of those coz he's obviously overdosed on them (lol) (lol) (lol) .........

Though he probably made that claim up anyway....he wouldn't have thought to check it out first! His feet must have more holes than a colander by now! (lol)

antony1969 - 2019-02-23 4:58 PM

I thought we'd signed a continuity agreement with Chile ??? ... We didnt need to pay the EU billions to do that did we

Your right we have. Its one if the six Foxy has managed to sign which accounts for only about 12% of our none EU trade deals and even if he gets all of them its only 14% of our exports and imports the bulk of which are to and from the EU. He's probably picked the easiest and most insignificant ones first as he knows he is going to hit problems with a lot of them. So much for having them all signed and ready to go on the 29th of March although I suspect we wont be leaving the EU on the 29th of March anyway.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 5:48 PM

Though he probably made that claim up anyway....he wouldn't have thought to check it out first! His feet must have more holes than a colander by now! (lol)

Nope I didn't make it up ;-) ......I was just surprised by it when I went to open the pack :D .....

BTW my feet are small and flat........much like your Remoaner world >:-) .........

You can call me Frodo if you like? :D ........

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-02-23 5:52 PM

Your right we have. Its one if the six Foxy has managed to sign which accounts for only about 12% of our none EU trade deals and even if he gets all of them its only 14% of our exports and imports the bulk of which are to and from the EU. He's probably picked the easiest and most insignificant ones first as he knows he is going to hit problems with a lot of them. So much for having them all signed and ready to go on the 29th of March although I suspect we wont be leaving the EU on the 29th of March anyway.

You forget we're not actually allowed to do any deals whilst we're part of your butt sniffing club >:-) ........

I guess that's why you being a ex private school oike will miss it? :D .........

Of course hes going to hit problems with deals , its business ya dip for Allahs sake ... It's not Disney/Hollywood world that you usually deal in ... Give your ar$e a rest for once

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 6:06 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 5:48 PM

Nope I didn't make it up ;-) ......I was just surprised by it when I went to open the pack :D .....

What you really mean is you were annoyed when Barry pointed out Chile has a trade deal with the EU and the EU is its third biggest trading partner. (lol)

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 6:11 PM

You forget we're not actually allowed to do any deals whilst we're part of your butt sniffing club >:-) .......

Really......so what's this then?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47213842

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 8:11 PM

You forget we're not actually allowed to do any deals whilst we're part of your butt sniffing club >:-) .......

They're trade deals in principles ;-) ........ie an agreement to carry on trading as before once we leave the EU B-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-02-23 8:52 PM

Bulletguy - 2019-02-23 8:11 PM

They're trade deals in principles ;-) ........ie an agreement to carry on trading as before once we leave the EU B-) .........

Which is what we were talking about Dumbo! Foxy promised we would have 40 all ready to go by March 29th no problem. To quote you Brexiteers, Tick Tock.

Archived