Roads you hate!!

David Dwight

David Dwight - 2008-11-18 9:12 PM

What roads do you hate the most?

Personaly we hate the M25 from the A3 junction and on to the M20 to Folkestone. All those concrete bits. Not too bad in the car but in the M/home absolute hell.

Just done part of the M25 today, thats what made me think of it.

David

I'm with you on this one David. I live near junction 10 on the M6 which is bad enough but heading to Folkestone from the M40 is a nightmare. I hate any concrete motorways because of the noise and the glare when the sun is shining. On top of that, there is the variable speed and "safety" cameras on most of the bridges. It's always very congested so you have to keep your wits about you and you are never sure what speed you are supposed to be doing. >:-)

John

Bazza454 - 2008-11-18 11:34 PM
David Dwight - 2008-11-18 9:12 PM What roads do you hate the most?

M1 between JCN 1 and JCN 29, M6 between JCN 1 and Carlisle, and M25 - all the bleeding way around.

Maybe you should get the train Bazza!Personally, I agree about the M6 (and whatever you do don't take a van on the Toll section, you'll need a mortgage), but never had too much bother with the M25. Then again, I don't use it very often.Even Dartford would be OK if they'd abolished the tolls once it was paid for, as promised. As to keeping (and upping) the tolls as an anti-congestion measure, the mind boggles.(a) no-one who uses Dartford has any alternative and(b) the ONLY thing causing congestion there is the queue for the wretched toll-booths!Tony

Tony Jones

Personally, I agree about the M6 (and whatever you do don't take a van on the Toll section, you'll need a mortgage),

Tony

Tony, I disagree with you on using the Toll with the van, speaking as someone who has passed through the Brum section of the non Toll M6 umpteen times, an extension of your mortgage is far more preferable :D

Martyn

Southampton !!

The only decent road is outside the Football Stadium.

Our road (which happens to be classed as an A road) has been "topped" once in over 30 years and is already cracked with lumps coming off the surface and potholes everywhere. >:-(

Apparently topping (sort of sticking large stones on top of the original rubbish surface) is cheaper than resurfacing. They don't seem to have noticed that the "topping" starts disintergrating within days. *-)

Guest Tracker

I don't hate any roads!

No road has ever harmed me - except when I fall off me bike!

Hate is a negative emotion with no perceived benefits for me!

However - some roads at certain times van be a real PITA (pain in the bum) so we try and time our travels to not be where the peak time foul ups are - retirement has it's benefits one of which is freedom to travel when it suits us!

Guest Tracker
omidknight - 2008-11-19 6:23 PM

the road into a cemetry

Not going there - too darned cold - and anyway once on that road it's too late to even notice - let alone have emotions!

Tracker - 2008-11-19 5:47 PM

That's because someone gave you that old Celtic blessing:

"May the road always rise to meet you."

Never have quite understood that one - it either means "May you fall on your face" or "May you always be going up very steep hills."

Tony

Tracker - 2008-11-19 5:47 PM

I don't hate any roads!

Hate is a negative emotion with no perceived benefits for me!

However - some roads at certain times van be a real PITA (pain in the bum) so we try and time our travels to not be where the peak time foul ups are - retirement has it's benefits one of which is freedom to travel when it suits us!

Now you come to mention bikes -

I don't like the fact that they build mucher steeper hills than they used to.

:-(

Guest Tracker
And another thing - why is it that as I gets older the ground seems to get further from the ends of my fingers - and yet I am not as tall as I once were so the ground should be closer - are all tape measures now in centimetres instead of inches? Can't trust the EU?

No 1 hate is the one form Dover back home, strange how exciting it seems on the way down to Dover/Folkestone!

No 2 but happily don't use it much now but the A43 from the M1 near Northampton to Oxford, roundabout after roundabout.

You just get going nicely and then another roundabout. And I don't want to get into a discussion about the handling of merc based vans!!! I know you just have to take them slowly.

No 3, all those little bypasses around French towns and villages with numerous roundabouts and usually off camber too!

alan

Being a Pompy supporter since knee high to a grasshopper,her indoors often threatens to spread my Ashes at St Marys, the very mention of the thought of that soon brings me into line.although many moons ago at the Dell, I did see Man u thrash them 6 something :-D . it was the biggest crowd ever recorded there

Archived