Role reversals - a teaser.

Brian Kirby

Since the beginning of the millennium we had first Labour governments under Blair - Brown, then the Conservative/Liberal Democrat coalition from 2010 under Cameron/Clegg, and then Conservative from 2015 to the present under Cameron, May, and latterly, Johnson.

Had those positions been reversed, with the period from 2010 to 2019 being under Labour governments, I just wonder what the present Johnson government would be saying about why they are struggling with the Corona virus pandemic?

For example, how might they have defended themselves against the charges of slow initial response, initial shortages of ventilators, and confusing messaging, plus the continuing shortages of, and chaotic distribution of, PPE and Covid 19 test kits, (for both the virus and the antibodies), plus the failure to maintain accurate records of those infected with the virus, those who have recovered from it, and those who have died from it, but also the failures to cater effectively for the provision of PPE and test facilities to doctors, dentists, opticians, and care homes (including nursing homes).

Then reverse the picture, and answer the same questions again but for a Labour government elected in 2019 and now struggling with the same problems, but having been bequeathed to them by nine years of preceding Conservative governments. Just askin!! :-D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The effects you have listed are all correct, there is criticism to be laid at the Government but the only real Defense is that nothing like this has happened before,to the extent it has happened world wide. If you are relying on scientific advise which says close everything down most people would say..What are you crazy.

If anyone had published a novel, say five years ago, with a story about turbulent British polictics over an extended period because of Brexit and after getting past many objections and obstructions and on the threshold of actually leaving the EU, which itself was heading for big trouble and perhaps even breakup, we'd get a deadly virus pandemic causing millions of deaths and world-wide economic setback, potentially fatal to many industries, I doubt anyone would have thought it credible.  If the author had added the election of a US President who posted outrageously on Twitter and threw all sorts of spanners in the works, they definitely wouldn't.

Given that it has all happened, even Brian's hypotheticals seem plausible.

I would liken it to a patient who goes into hospital with a toe infection. The first Dr says ..take the foot off.

The rest of the Dr’s say no,no, we can treat it. 14 days later the leg has gangrene so they have to take the leg off. The first Dr say if you had done what I said he would only have lost his foot..

Birdbrain - 2020-04-28 12:34 PM

jumpstart - 2020-04-28 12:32 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-04-28 12:27 PM

Pointless teaser

Pointless post.

2009 ... Weren't Labour in power then ... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-52440641 ... Pointless teaser

Yes Antony, as I said in my post. You've done exactly what you always do, haven't you, read the poster and not the post, and then let your prejudices guide your response. Go on, have a go, and see if you can imagine what would have been said. You never know, you might surprise yourself. :-D

An interesting thought Brian, and one that no doubt plenty of people have considered!

Possibly, had a Tory government been in power instead of Tony Blair / Gordon Brown's Labour before and during the pre Cameron / Clegg era world economic crisis, with government spending linked more to income rather than paid for by borrowing the whole of this century so far might have been handled rather better - or worse - by whichever party.

Right now, an incoming Labour government - with a proper leader not JC - might have been economically so much better placed to prepare for the unknown.

It would probably have been different - but better - somehow I tend to think not?

Brian Kirby - 2020-04-28 4:50 PM

Pointless teaser

Aw, go on, Take your brain for a walk on the wild side. Its only for fun and a bit of mental exercise. I dare you! :-D

With respect I cant see the point ... What if Jo Swinson had got in power at the last election instead of slipping off into nowhere land ??? ... Maybe those on here who deal in make believe Hollywood guff are better suited to your teaser ... Wheres Barry ???

Here's another hypothectical teaser.

Having just endured a bit more of Hancock's half hour I wonder if the world would be a better place if we had intelligent, sensible, constructive journalism instead of the sensation seekers looking for a negative headline rather than helping to find a solution to the world's issues?

Then again, maybe this forum is not the place to find any sane asnwers to anything?

Tracker - 2020-04-28 5:38 PM

Having just endured a bit more of Hancock's half hour I wonder if the world would be a better place if we had intelligent, sensible, constructive journalism instead of the sensation seekers looking for a negative headline rather than helping to find a solution to the world's issues?

I'd say some msm is at least intelligent and sensible but requires reading so certain folk won't even bother once they see a lot of reading with no pictures to guide them. As for how 'constructive' the article is depends on what the reader takes from it i'd have thought. How informative it's been etc. Social media can be useful for msm posting breaking news links, though why any politician would feel a need to conduct their daily thoughts and rants on sm is beyond me! I expect that from children, not adults, though some politicians are very childish which probably explains their excuse.

Tracker - 2020-04-28 5:06 PM

had a Tory government been in power instead of Tony Blair / Gordon Brown's Labour before and during the pre Cameron / Clegg era world economic crisis,

Since G. Osborne had been calling for even more of the deregulation that caused the financial crisis.....

Pointless teaser

No its not pointless, it might help you to understand how you are being misled by spin.

I sometimes think what would have happened if we had lost the Falklands war.

In the short term it would have been seen as a disaster.

But in the long term...

Thatcher would have been ousted, Council Housing, Public Ownership of our power, water railways, Mining and Manufacturing etc might have survived...

Bulletguy - 2020-04-28 6:33 PM

Tracker - 2020-04-28 5:38 PM

I'd say some msm is at least intelligent and sensible but requires reading so certain folk won't even bother once they see a lot of reading with no pictures to guide them. As for how 'constructive' the article is depends on what the reader takes from it i'd have thought. How informative it's been etc. Social media can be useful for msm posting breaking news links, though why any politician would feel a need to conduct their daily thoughts and rants on sm is beyond me! I expect that from children, not adults, though some politicians are very childish which probably explains their excuse.

You mean a bit like those who believe MSM lies like this and post them all over the internet ... https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11502049/home-secretary-priti-patel-cleared-bullying/ ... only to be made to look stoopid ... Again ... Stormy

Archived