Sat-Navs

nightrider

Guest Tracker

Have you been asleep Malcolm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This has been discussed so many times in recent weeks!

Try the search facility and you will probably get enough info to keep you amused until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker - 2009-07-08 6:05 PM

Try the search facility and you will probably get enough info to keep you amused until Christmas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tracker,

No I haven't been asleep I have been away for 3 weeks so I must have missed the thread, will look it up.

knight of the road - 2009-07-08 7:09 PM

Tracker - 2009-07-08 6:05 PM

Tracker,

No I haven't been asleep I have been away for 3 weeks so I must have missed the thread, will look it up.

Missed the Thread Eh ? You were not using your sat nav to guide you through the forum posts were you :D :D

Poo poohed the idea when sat navs first came out Malcolm, but would,nt be without one now. Just returned from a tour of Western Ireland where our basic Tom Tom 1 guided us with faultless precision through every leg of the journey, leaving me with nothing to do but enjoy the scenery. Worth every penny.

I've had the same dramatic "conversion" as Howie. Wouldn't entertain it, but OH got fed up with doing all the mapreading and missing the scenery as a result. Now I wouldn't be without one.

Lots of advantages, but the biggest for us is when we're in a strange city - UK or abroad. We know which town we want to head for next, but nearly all the direction signs WITHIN cities are white ones about parts of the city I've never heard of, or brown ones about tourist hotspots.

"Jenny" (the SatNav) knows which way we need to go to get onto the right main road out, including where it's counter-intuitive because of one-way systems, rivers etc. Saved us a lot of time, fuel and bad language.

Also, we've put campsites & aires in as POIs, and Jenny takes us straight there without having to translate abbreviated foreign instructions.

Just upgraded her with Central Europe maps ready for our trip in a couple of weeks.

The problems people sometimes have arise from handing over their intelligence (if any) to the machine. Don't do that. I still look at the route on a map beforehand, so I know where I am in the "real world!"

Also I still watch for height/width/weight restrictions which might apply to me. I believe you can get more expensive models which will do that for you, but hey, if you can't read international traffic signs you're in trouble anyway!

Everyone's got a story about someone who knows someone whose SatNav "made" them drive into a muddy field, but (a) I've never met this person and (b) how stupid must they be (unless it was a campsite of course :-D !)

Go for it Malcolm!

Hi Malcom.

Go for it but don't forget your in charge of it.

One of the few times I have just followed without paying attention was in Scotland, we just followed directions and finished up at an old ferry terminal and were told board ferry. It would have been a great route, only the ferry stopped a few years previous. :$ :$

But still would not be without one, especially in towns and cities.

Dave

Archived