Scooter on an Compass Avantgard

donastill

• 3 weeks later...
It depends entirely on the weight limits for your vehicle and the actual weights at present. However, I suspect you would be very likely to at least overload the rear axle. 100Kgs hung onto the back is likely to add at least 150Kgs to the rear axle and unload the front axle by 50 Kgs, reducing steering, braking and traction efficiency. Before doing anythin, get your vehicle weighed on a weighbridge, weighing both the whole vehicle and one axle (the other axle will be the difference between the two weights?. Then consult the vehicle plate which shows the maximum allowed all-up weight and the maximum for each axle. Compare for a first cut look at whether you have a problem. Send me a private mail if you want more help.

• 2 weeks later...
Mel - Thanks for reply. I shall follow your advice and let you know what conclusions are to be drawn. The delay in replying was caused by my travelling 5,000+ miles in France and Spain in the said Compass Avantgard. Naturally I passed / saw hundreds of motorhomes carrying scooters but NONE of them were a Boxer / Ducato. I will also post my question on "Motorhome Matters" and email the Explorer group whilst I am at it. Thanks again, Don

Archived