Seat belts

John N

What are the regulations regarding seat belts in motorhomes. In a 2 berth van there are only belts for the driver and front passenger. Does this mean that it is illegal to carry a third (or fourth) person in the back of the van?

There have been quite a few "discussions" on this topic, and some testy arguments as well!  I think most of the points have already been covered, so I'd suggest you use the "search" facility above.  Just search "Motorhome Matters" for keyword seatbelts, and set time to "one year".  If you read the lot, you'll become the forum's resident expert on all aspects of seatbelt wisdom, legislation, and emotion! 

John

Quick response - if you've only got a van with 2 belted seated (ie in the front) check with your insurance company first, if they've only covered you as a 2 seater motorhome then that's all you can carry if you want to remain covered by them - in the case of an accident, if you were carrying more than they had insured you to carry I seriously doubt whether they'd pay up at all as they'd use it as a 'get out' clause.

Mel

Apart from personal views about safety (of which there are many!), the insurance is the big issue here. My Transit has the usual cab seats, but two sideways settees at the back, so when my insurers asked me how many, I said "I CAN carry six including the driver, but four of them don't have seatbelts." Their response was "OK, we'll put six." So I know I'm insured, but I still don't like those seats - I'll only use them if absolutely necessary, and only for responsible adults, AFTER I've pointed out the absence of belts.

For our next van, at least one belted rear seat is a "must-have," preferably two.

Tony

Archived